• Forum membership has its advantages....

Who still reads print magazines? TEN shutting down 19 of their 22 titles

jon coleman

i spent most of the day in the low rider display areas at del mar good guys, they are masterpiece works of art, no 2 are the same...

bajaherbie

Hot VW's is still alive but about half as thick as it used to be..... Is Hot Rod Deluxe THE Hot Rod magazine?

92OCHO

Hot boat, hot vw, road and track, motor trend, cycle world Dusty times,
Used to by the traders every Thursday. Hell I don’t even get a newspaper anymore
Zero mags anymore

isdtbower

Dirt Sports was my all time favorite while it was around. Maybe the Score Magazine could pick up some of those features, but allow it to branch out somewhat. Masterpiece in metal. Tech articles. Including the Score racer features. Just no more differential builds. Enough already. Every media type who needed an axle had to write a story.....

Klaus

Administrator
I stoped reading magazines in the 90s
It ended with HotRod, Petersons Off Road and Wired and the Economist.

Books however I prefer on paper.

J Prich

Do you guys think there is even still a market for the "old" Dusty Times type content? I guess it's sort of been replaced by post race videos, social media, etc but I actually really miss reading the great recaps they put together. There's not really anything comparable like that out there these days, but maybe for good reason. I dunno, I just have a hard time fathoming something like the "new" Dusty Times being sustainable but maybe the stuff I think that would work is also not relevant to people.

I actually think it would be cool still to have a monthly that included a more wonky, deep dive race recap with story telling, interview quotes, etc like Dusty Times. Id personally subscribe to that.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Do you guys think there is even still a market for the "old" Dusty Times type content? I guess it's sort of been replaced by post race videos, social media, etc but I actually really miss reading the great recaps they put together. There's not really anything comparable like that out there these days, but maybe for good reason. I dunno, I just have a hard time fathoming something like the "new" Dusty Times being sustainable but maybe the stuff I think that would work is also not relevant to people.

I actually think it would be cool still to have a monthly that included a more wonky, deep dive race recap with story telling, interview quotes, etc like Dusty Times. Id personally subscribe to that.
The new Dusty Times is nothing like the old DT and is only published one or two times per year. They just released the second issue.

Regarding your last comment. Do you mean content similar to this (but in print form):

The old Dusty Times race coverage were very long stories. The problem today is that everyones attention span is a fraction of what it used to be so only a fraction of the people will read it. Same goes for video, etc.

J Prich

The new Dusty Times is nothing like the old DT and is only published one or two times per year. They just released the second issue.

Regarding your last comment. Do you mean content similar to this (but in print form):

The old Dusty Times race coverage were very long stories. The problem today is that everyones attention span is a fraction of what it used to be so only a fraction of the people will read it. Same goes for video, etc.
Agreed on attention spans. In the digital age, no one has time for the deep dives. Regarding content, what I miss the most is the post race recaps that would include quotes from racers recapping their struggles, issues, etc. Most of the post race stuff I see these days, aside from posts on here...are basically highlight reels, etc. What I thought was cool about DT is that they did a great job of telling the actual stories. I just miss that part of it. I like hearing about the challenges, issues, triumphs, field fixes, etc. Most video based race recaps are like 3 minute music videos.

I'm probably in the minority anyway but Bryce and Andy at the 1000 is a great example. Bryce's video guy is amazing and gets great shots. But his 1000 recap vid was basically just a sweet music video of scenic heli shots, etc. Nothing really about the struggle of rolling the truck, figuring out how to get it back over, assessing the damage and fixing, and getting back in the game to get to the finish line to secure a championship for Andy. I like the drama as much if not more than I like the sexy heli shots.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Agreed on attention spans. In the digital age, no one has time for the deep dives. Regarding content, what I miss the most is the post race recaps that would include quotes from racers recapping their struggles, issues, etc. Most of the post race stuff I see these days, aside from posts on here...are basically highlight reels, etc. What I thought was cool about DT is that they did a great job of telling the actual stories. I just miss that part of it. I like hearing about the challenges, issues, triumphs, field fixes, etc. Most video based race recaps are like 3 minute music videos.

I'm probably in the minority anyway but Bryce and Andy at the 1000 is a great example. Bryce's video guy is amazing and gets great shots. But his 1000 recap vid was basically just a sweet music video of scenic heli shots, etc. Nothing really about the struggle of rolling the truck, figuring out how to get it back over, assessing the damage and fixing, and getting back in the game to get to the finish line to secure a championship for Andy. I like the drama as much if not more than I like the sexy heli shots.
Check out the PR's that come out by Dominic after each SCORE race if you want to read a ton of racer quotes.

Finish line quotes–BFGoodrich Tires 52nd SCORE Baja 1000

Yeah for video I agree that if a team has a dedicated video guy it could be more than just highlights. But it also depends on what the team wants. I shot all of the videos for Steve Eugenio and Armin Schwarz during the 2015 SCORE season. Each video was a mix of driver interviews and highlights. And sometimes I would put out a quick short highlight video right after the race while I was still working on the longer edit. https://www.youtube.com/user/GalindoMotorsports

It was a fun year shooting for them. Especially getting to drive down for the Baja Sur race from Cabo to Loreto.

Someone that has been doing a great job recently is @Reef-Creative with his videos for Justin Lofton. It's a longer format that you would probably like. You've probably seen them but here's the link to his thread. https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/ahbeef-life.133022/

TwistyItch

Honestly I only know moto. I lurk here because I like the whole 4 wheel spectrum as a spectator. So my opinion is moto based.
I think what killed print is they all turned into pay-to-play operations (including the catalog of one of the biggest publisher groups - ask me how I know). It used to be that you could easily read between the lines when a flaw was found, if it was not honestly stated in print. Not now. All the reviews are BS - nothing ever is even slightly negative, never do you hear how something failed the test but could be better You can't get a straight story from the print mags when comparison articles are written. Nobody wants to pay the money to hear paid advertising. I recently ran across an online magazine that actually will call BS on products (motorcycle/off-road) and publishes great honest opinions of what they review. It is both informative and entertaining! Nobody expects everything to be perfect. And I think nobody wants to read nothing but white-wash. It's ok to not be perfect. You only have to be great and be willing to improve. We can all handle the negatives and balance them with the positives. ..and unfortunately I cannot remember or find that online magazine! If anyone know the one I am talking about where they say it sucks if it does, I want to know what it is! They've been around a while I discovered.

Last edited: