• Forum membership has its advantages....

who's a good Ford engine builder

racemedic

who\'s a good Ford engine builder

I have a '93 Bronco with 5.8 and E4OD trans. As far as mods go it has MSD ignition box with coil and wires, 3" exhaust, including the cat, with a dynomax muffler. All this was done before I had the engine rebuilt. It was balanced and the guy that did the rebuild put in a mild RV cam. My problem is it just doesn't have the power that I think it should. It doesn't run any worse than before the rebuild but it doesn't run any better. Even the engine rebuilder said he thought it should have a bit more power. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do. Would a set of roller rocker help any or make it worse? I don't really want to spend a bunch of money by doing the engine again but I would like to get some bottom end power out of it.
Thanks
Bob

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Re: who\'s a good Ford engine builder

You never mentioned any intake mods. If you are not breathing more air and pumpin more gas then you cant have more power. You did the exhaust side which does not effect overall performance very muchThe Ford air setup is very restricting and just with that changed and some good exhaust should have made some noticeable power.

I would start with a nice air intake set up, larger throttle body, larger mass air sensor if equipped, larger injectors and a nice set of headers. If that doesnt pep it up quite a bit then you are expecting too much from the engine.

What size tires are you running and gearing?

When in doubt, GAS IT!

racemedic

Sorry, I thought of that after I got off line. I did have the K & N filter set up on, the one with the big cone shaped filter, when I had the motor done but that just sucked in all the hot air from under the hood and felt like it made things worse when it was hot out side. So I put it back to stock. As far as tires go 31x10.5x15 with stock gears cann't think of the ratio right now 3.55 maybe. What size injectors do you think would be good. Stock is 19# I think, how about 24#. I still have the K & N setup I think I'll put it back on and give it another try.
Thanks
Bob

ntsqd

Put an UMP filter on the truck or fab something like an UMP enclosure for the K&N you have and duct it to either the cowl vents (can be noisy inside) or to the radiator core support. If you opt for the core support, poke the inlet tube stright thru the support, but leave it flush to the front side of the support. Then put a flat plate 1.5-2 times larger than the hole across in front of the hole, stood off of the support at least an inch, preferably 1.5" The plate will keep the large chunks from getting to the filter while still allowing a ram air effect.

Look into any of the stock air plumbing. OEM's have a tendancy to put venturis in there to act as a muffler. If you can stand a little more noise, remove anything like this you might find.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

mgobaja

If you want a race engine call Leon Patton.

Rodney

Definately do what is necessary to reduce the restriction in the intake while still getting the air from outside the engine compartment.
Second, put headers on it..spend the $$ on a quality set. If you are looking for low end power, DO NOT change the injectors.
the stock ones are capable of delivering far more fuel than a relatively stock 351 can burn..especially at lower RPM's.
Roller rockers will reduce friction, however you most likely will not feel a differance. The best way to improve the towing performance
is to re gear. Also, get rid of the belt driven fan if you have the room and the skills to install dual electric fans. My big block GMC
has one fan activated with a 180 degree stat and the other fan at 195. Don't forget to put in a relay to bring on one of the fans
any time the A/C compressor is on. The electric fans dramatically reduce noise and gave me about 6 MPH on some of the big hills
while towing my boat. Finally, have an experienced FORD guy look at your camshaft specs. Many aftermarket cams actually make things
worse by narrowing the effective powerband of the engine.

Winning IS everything

Greg

'93 should have a speed density FI system. Sorry no big cam or heads until you switch to a mass air system (you can buy one from any svo dealer). You should look through any of the mustang magazines, you can find many engine builders that speacilize in fords. There is a place in ontario called Advance Engineering West, talk to Mark Sanchez, This guy knows late model ford stuff better than anyone.

Greg