• Forum membership has its advantages....

Who's Racing the Laughlin Desert Challenge?

bobylax

Just curious who's going to do the LDC since it's so close to the 500. Also, what do you think of the race format of running the Trick Trucks in their own race, and running the Class 1's (1500's) with the 6100's in race #4? Do the 6100's get to qualify with the 1500's, or draw and start behind them? Could be some exciting racing on such a tight course. Our corner should get real interesting!!! (we had 2 fires and 4 rollovers for the UTV W.C. in Feb.)

BajaFand

I really can't believe nobody is talking about this race! Not many details released by BITD/MM. Anyone got the scoop? Entries? Course map? Spectator info??

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I really can't believe nobody is talking about this race! Not many details released by BITD/MM. Anyone got the scoop? Entries? Course map? Spectator info??

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
This is a BITD and not a MM type event like the Mint.

That being said Casey and team just got back from their 5 event of the year with the Nevada 200 in Caliente. This is now the majority of the teams focus and info will be coming out shortly to cover everything. Much I would expect by the end of the week.

A couple of exciting things I saw is the schedule shows us done with a checkered flag around 330 each race day. Will make for a good Saturday night in Laughlin for sure! There is some mileage of all new course. Not course that hasn't been used in a few years, but all new course that is being cut that will be able to be used by any series that races down there in the future. Parades, Poker Runs, Tech and Contingency and Two great days of racing.

I am optimistically hoping this will be my new favorite race of the year and has taken over a year in planning and permitting to pull off. My team is coming out in force with 8 safety teams being stationed all over the course. Mostly for your safety but as fans, we all want to be a part of this brand new event!

Hope everyone comes out. Laughlin is a perfect event for families and sponsors. They will see you many times with constant action as you battle each other and course!

See you all in less than a month!

B. R C Arrow

Laughlin is in Dec, 380 raced last year
Rage at the River, a Snore event is in December. This thread is about the new BITD Laughlin Desert Classic race this coming May 6-8th. The Arciero Motorsports Trophylite 6017 truck will be there. I can't wait!

locationsracing

Everyone don't forget that Friday night May 6th id the Racers 4 Kids Fundraiser to Benefit the Laughlin Metro Shop with a Cop Program. The Off-road Community is the single largest donor to Laughlin Metro so that these kids can have a Christmas, checkout the thread for all the great Auction & Raffle prizes that will be given away. Remember that 100% of all money raised is going to help give a Christmas to a lot of kids that normally wouldn't have one!!!

John Bitting

Administrator
Everyone don't forget that Friday night May 6th id the Racers 4 Kids Fundraiser to Benefit the Laughlin Metro Shop with a Cop Program. The Off-road Community is the single largest donor to Laughlin Metro so that these kids can have a Christmas, checkout the thread for all the great Auction & Raffle prizes that will be given away. Remember that 100% of all money raised is going to help give a Christmas to a lot of kids that normally wouldn't have one!!!
You will have some stuff from RDC next week. Keep up the great work. See you in Laughlin.

firedog

Can ndvalium or GlamisGurlie post up the fuel system vehicle requirements for BITD as well as the "hot pits" requirements for the pit crew? Nomex required for the hot pit crew? Will fueling be allowed in the main pit of a cold vehicle without having nomex and a splash apron? I looked on the BITD website and nothing jumped out at me. Would like to be prepared instead of having surprises in tech or at the race.

Bdub 1020

Bummed its that weekend , doing the whole family at Monster Super Cross Vegas. I don't get running 6100 with class 1 though. Like PAB said its a safety thing. Guess its a step from TTs and UTVs being on the course together J/K. Be safe . PS The buggy dorks will rule this one.

Viola1685

1033 Viola Racing will be there hoping for a big class 10 field

ghostwhite

Can ndvalium or GlamisGurlie post up the fuel system vehicle requirements for BITD as well as the "hot pits" requirements for the pit crew? Nomex required for the hot pit crew? Will fueling be allowed in the main pit of a cold vehicle without having nomex and a splash apron? I looked on the BITD website and nothing jumped out at me. Would like to be prepared instead of having surprises in tech or at the race.
Here is the 2016 Pit Crew info sheet

This has some of the fueling info you requested.

The 2016 Car/Truck Rulebook has more info specifically on page 17 for pit fueling and page 25 has fuel system info towards the bottom.

locationsracing

Everyone going to the Laughlin race needs to make sure to checkout the thread about the Racers 4 Kids Fundraiser and see all the great Auction and Raffle prizes for the event.

ndvalium

Rescue Director

While all the requirements are technically exactly the same as any race, this one you should not require fuel. Less than 70 miles each day. You most likely will simply fuel at your camping pit prior to your race. Most teams I think will only pit for mechanical issue and will be option into hot pit not a required pass through. Does that help?

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

JasonHutter

David,
I think you are the first that understands what Paul was asking. We won't need to refuel during the race. What Paul was asking is, do we need to follow all the fueling regulations when the vehicle is completely cold back at the main pit where our trailer will be? We understand the answer is yes on having the carpet down, not setting the fuel cans in the dirt, etc. What we were trying to clarify was will there be an issue if someone dumps some fuel in a cold race vehicle without wearing a fire suit, manning an extinguisher, etc? The other thing we are looking at is the discriminator valve. It says you have to have one...SGPT13: Vehicle Refueling All vehicles must have an external discriminator valve on the fuel vent. (We will) I haven't found anything on the mounting of it yet:

SCR23: FUEL FILLER, VENTS & CAPS
Fuel filler lines and positive-locking non-vented fuel filler caps (Monza/flip-type caps are strictly
forbidden) must be located and secured in such a manner as to prevent being knocked off or open
during movement, rollover or accidental impact. Design and installation must be in such a manner
to prevent fuel escaping from pickups, lines, fillers and breather vents if vehicle is partially or
totally inverted. Fuel breather lines must have a rollover check valve incorporated in the fuel cell.
The vent line must extend to the highest point of the rollcage nearest the fuel cell, across the width
of the vehicle, and down to below the belly pan of the vehicle or 3 inches below the fuel cell,
whichever is lower. OPTIONAL PLACEMENT: The vent line may be wrapped one full loop
around the outside of the fuel cell near the top of the fuel cell and then down below the vehicle 3
inches below the lowest point of the fuel cell. Where the vent line attaches to the fuel cell there
must be a loop above the fuel cell that extends 4 inches higher than the top of the fuel cell. The
breather line must be vented outside of driver’s compartment and be directed away from the
engine and exhaust system. All fuel fillers attached to the frame or body panel must use a flexible coupling to the tank. All fuel fillers must be surrounded by a boot or splashguard (body panel is acceptable as a splashguard
if sealed). Boot or splashguard must direct fuel spillage to outside of vehicle and away from
driver’s compartment, engine and exhaust. A fuel filler rollover-check-valve must be incorporated
into all fuel cells. It is highly recommended that all detachable fuel filler caps have a flexible strap
or chain attached between it and the frame of the vehicle.

SCR23.5:Best in the Desert – All competitors should review Race Fuel Safety:
Fuel Injected Motors: Because of the resent flash fires after rollovers. Review the fuel rail
retaining system on your motors. We suggest that you also interlock your fuel pumps to disable
them with the loss of oil pressure, check with your engine builder. This is for your safety.
Fuel Cell Vent Lines: These lines must be routed so that the line runs to all external fuel cell
locations; i.e. top – left side – front – right side – back – bottom. This will limit fuel spills when
the race vehicle is “Parked” in a position that tips the fuel cell. This is in addition to the rollover
flapper/check valves.
All Pits must be in compliance with SGPT9 at all times Random checks will be made and time
penalties may be assessed if extinguishers are not ready.

I thought I heard it needed to be mounted within a few degrees of straight up and down on the vehicle and I also heard it needed to be one of the see through ones. Is that correct? Any information would be great!

Best,
Jason