Who's Working on a Class 8000

Evans Motorsports

RDC Crypto
Class 8000 moving along completed Trans & Radiator shroud inclosure. Mounted batteries, driveline mounted, shovel, moving upper radio and IRC brackets so I can install visors.
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1439955053.102328.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1439955076.712875.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Dirty Harry

RDC Crypto
Website
www.harrysituations.com
It's not quite as fast as the best Trophy Trucks but, in most conditions, it's much faster than Spec TTs. I only say this because I've raced and tested very fast Spec trucks side by side on the same course and know for sure - big whoops, tight corners, technical - doesn't matter. A modern Class 8 will smoke the fastest Spec TT out there and will eat Class 10 buggies like Social Media eats lion hunters.

We like to race to win, not drive around in the desert regatta like 90% the TT teams with their colorful "delusions of adequacy."

7. Spec TT is totally lame and annoying. I don't like them. Period. They're slow, boring and expensive - like having a sexy, dumb but really prude and stingy, only-child girlfriend from a wealthy family. After a while it's just too expensive and frustrating to continue dating, so you introduce her to a guy you secretly dislike and never call her again.

You never struck me as an "everyone-gets-a-trophy" kind of guy, but reading your post Kent I see a correlation between "Spec TT is lame" and "we like to race to win". Despite throwing out some ideas on how to make Class 8 larger, your post kind of comes across like you don't really want more competition. If you did, you would race TT, Class 10, 6100, or even UTV. That is where the competition is in off-road racing. "Winning" a class that has two entries and you are the only finisher isn't that impressive, even if it is in something way faster than a 6100 truck.

Advertising supports this site

Anger Issues

RDC Crypto
There might be several trucks you could coax out of the cobwebs for an "ocho revival"... some current and former 1450 trucks too! (at least those with frames still, if you care).

Evans Motorsports

RDC Crypto
I say incourage every you know with a class 8000 or at least 3/4 of a frame to dust them off and come out. I personally don't care if we run Bitd Snore / More. I have received IM from several persons interested in adding to the class. I remember when we ran Snore and BITd and there was 10 to 16 trucks. Great fun. My option was to talk with the last five most active members running class 8000 see what they say then bring it up to BITD and Snore. Let's see what they say. I personally don't care what group we run with! Whoever gets the most entries. If it's entry fees the other groups are half the cost. They are all great groups to race with. If The entries remain at 3 to 4 trucks, Im with Ken let's go race TT class and see how many we can knock off. There is some real satifaction beating a tube chassis modern day TT with a class8 TT of yesteryear, entry fees the same may be 50 plus TTs racing however we at know there are 15 regular big money teams placing in the top 15. Kind of like NASCAR same guys in the top 15. If we finished in the top 20 with a class 8 truck, I would feel like Mr Voss must have felt winning V2R. Don't need no stinkn trophy.

Evans Motorsports

RDC Crypto
I also like how Snore list the entry's well ahead of the race as they sign up. It would build to the excitement as more people entered. I also feel it encourages more entries.

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
You never struck me as an "everyone-gets-a-trophy" kind of guy, but reading your post Kent I see a correlation between "Spec TT is lame" and "we like to race to win". Despite throwing out some ideas on how to make Class 8 larger, your post kind of comes across like you don't really want more competition. If you did, you would race TT, Class 10, 6100, or even UTV. That is where the competition is in off-road racing. "Winning" a class that has two entries and you are the only finisher isn't that impressive, even if it is in something way faster than a 6100 truck.
they dont like facts OR logic in this thread, please leave......

Jerry

RDC Crypto
I'm seriously monitoring this thread. I'm anxious to see where it goes. I have done ok in my current class and might want to try running against some 8's. 16" travel kit FTW! Ok 16 3/4...,..

Anger Issues

RDC Crypto
wow... I have to admit I didn't read this whole thread before I posted... what a hoot... Pete vs. Kent was pretty damn funny. But now that it is back "on topic", lol, I still say... Laughlin SNORE class 8 revival?? I bet we could get 20 class 8 trucks, especially if you hard-core rule-nazis could forego the frame rule for those back-halfer 1450 dudes. Hell.... I might even get linked by then just for the occasion! I'd get spanked with my teany 351...

As for the 100k claimer class... I'm still waiting for Mark or Steve to tell us how much that truck really (REALLY) cost to build!! I guess I'm just another jealous bastard!

Someone make it happen for December at SNORE!

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
wow... I have to admit I didn't read this whole thread before I posted... what a hoot... Pete vs. Kent was pretty damn funny. But now that it is back "on topic", lol, I still say... Laughlin SNORE class 8 revival?? I bet we could get 20 class 8 trucks, especially if you hard-core rule-nazis could forego the frame rule for those back-halfer 1450 dudes. Hell.... I might even get linked by then just for the occasion! I'd get spanked with my teany 351...

As for the 100k claimer class... I'm still waiting for Mark or Steve to tell us how much that truck really (REALLY) cost to build!! I guess I'm just another jealous bastard!

Someone make it happen for December at SNORE!
you are going to be kicked out of the club if you keep making SENSE.......they dont want competition, they want a $8 trophy, not respect......

Kent Kroeker

RDC Crypto
Website
www.koreperformance.com
Um, Ok - Pete. For the record I don't think anyone on this thread disagrees with you, challenges your supreme authority or wants to argue with you about anything. You've made some good suggestions and I've enjoyed poking fun at your style, but overall this thread is kind of loooow key, dude.

Dirty Harry, I tried to quote you, but for some reason the computer won't do it - probably because I'm currently in a country that has no electrical grid and spotty satellite internet provided graciously the UN - haha!

Anyway, I agree with you - racing against one or two people isn't that great. I think I mentioned that previously in post # whatever (internet here is too slow to go back and reference) - that's why I believe that it _would_ be a good idea to combine some classes together to increase entries. Like I said, I think it would be fine to have some kind of a "Star Wars Bar" class that consolidates a bunch of trucks that have similar performance characteristics, so the classes that have been marginalized can have a place to play.

Nevertheless, for some perspective: In class 8 I always had a ton of fun racing against Mcrae Glass - even though sometimes it was just the two of us. In 2012 he beat me 4 or 5 times with our finishing splits falling somewhere between 30 seconds and 3 minutes - or something like that. Sometimes there were other entries, but we had a great time racing against each other because it was always really close and competitive. After Henderson, I think it was, he had beaten me by about 28 seconds. At the finish we were all stoked and hugged each other - both worn out and laughing about the how awesome it was to go all out the whole time. It was like two boxers in the ring thrashing each other. Just great sport.

I think we can all agree that more entries would be better, but that's not always _the_ prerequisite required for good racing. Good racing, as in the example above, can also be defined by how closely matched the vehicles and skills of the drivers are. In an ideal world you would have a lot of really good drivers with very closely matched machines. Spec and TT each contain probably 20% of this formula - IOTW, the preponderance of both classes are just driving around while only a select few are actually competitive and "racing." But on the other side of this coin, that's also what's paradoxically cool about desert racing. It's just unregulated mayhem - I mean, anyone can show up, pay money and race - no regulations, licensing criteria, nada. It fun and I love it, but for a lot of reasons, I can't take it too seriously. It's the best motorsport in the world, but at the end of the day it changes nothing, and with the exception of creating some fleeting micro-economies, it's not large or well-promoted enough to significantly contribute to any aspect of our world. NASCAR and F1 could be considered, "industries" the latter being of global significance, affecting emerging technology, charities and transnational politics. At best, no matter what class we're talking about, desert racing is a hobby-level endeavor. Respect? OK, whatever. (single rolling eyes emoticon thing here followed up by at least 3-4 non-smug smiley faces, so I don't reinvigorate the thread-wrath of Pete with my sarcastic condescension...)

So why Class 8 for me?

Like many of us, I already own the truck - and I don't even race that often. But I'm not compelled to race Spec because I dislike the motors; I find the experience driving these trucks to be disagreeable and uninspiring. And I haven't angled toward TT because doing so would require much more time and financial output than I'm willing to invest in order to be competitive. This year I raced my Class 8 at BAP and got 3rd in TT and it was fun and all, but I actually don't wake up every morning from the dream of winning the Baja 1000 in a Trophy Truck. Desert racing isn't the central theme of my existence - it's actually just a small and highly incongruous (but dearly loved) facet of my totally weird life.

These days, Class 8 is probably not for everyone; maybe not anyone but us "illogical dillholes" haha! - but I like it and I like the small group of people who race it.

It's the perfect class for me.

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
Um, Ok - Pete. For the record I don't think anyone on this thread disagrees with you, challenges your supreme authority or wants to argue with you about anything. You've made some good suggestions and I've enjoyed poking fun at your style, but overall this thread is kind of loooow key, dude.

Dirty Harry, I tried to quote you, but for some reason the computer won't do it - probably because I'm currently in a country that has no electrical grid and spotty satellite internet provided graciously the UN - haha!

Anyway, I agree with you - racing against one or two people isn't that great. I think I mentioned that previously in post # whatever (internet here is too slow to go back and reference) - that's why I believe that it _would_ be a good idea to combine some classes together to increase entries. Like I said, I think it would be fine to have some kind of a "Star Wars Bar" class that consolidates a bunch of trucks that have similar performance characteristics, so the classes that have been marginalized can have a place to play.

Nevertheless, for some perspective: In class 8 I always had a ton of fun racing against Mcrae Glass - even though sometimes it was just the two of us. In 2012 he beat me 4 or 5 times with our finishing splits falling somewhere between 30 seconds and 3 minutes - or something like that. Sometimes there were other entries, but we had a great time racing against each other because it was always really close and competitive. After Henderson, I think it was, he had beaten me by about 28 seconds. At the finish we were all stoked and hugged each other - both worn out and laughing about the how awesome it was to go all out the whole time. It was like two boxers in the ring thrashing each other. Just great sport.

I think we can all agree that more entries would be better, but that's not always _the_ prerequisite required for good racing. Good racing, as in the example above, can also be defined by how closely matched the vehicles and skills of the drivers are. In an ideal world you would have a lot of really good drivers with very closely matched machines. Spec and TT each contain probably 20% of this formula - IOTW, the preponderance of both classes are just driving around while only a select few are actually competitive and "racing." But on the other side of this coin, that's also what's paradoxically cool about desert racing. It's just unregulated mayhem - I mean, anyone can show up, pay money and race - no regulations, licensing criteria, nada. It fun and I love it, but for a lot of reasons, I can't take it too seriously. It's the best motorsport in the world, but at the end of the day it changes nothing, and with the exception of creating some fleeting micro-economies, it's not large or well-promoted enough to significantly contribute to any aspect of our world. NASCAR and F1 could be considered, "industries" the latter being of global significance, affecting emerging technology, charities and transnational politics. At best, no matter what class we're talking about, desert racing is a hobby-level endeavor. Respect? OK, whatever. (single rolling eyes emoticon thing here followed up by at least 3-4 non-smug smiley faces, so I don't reinvigorate the thread-wrath of Pete with my sarcastic condescension...)

So why Class 8 for me?

Like many of us, I already own the truck - and I don't even race that often. But I'm not compelled to race Spec because I dislike the motors; I find the experience driving these trucks to be disagreeable and uninspiring. And I haven't angled toward TT because doing so would require much more time and financial output than I'm willing to invest in order to be competitive. This year I raced my Class 8 at BAP and got 3rd in TT and it was fun and all, but I actually don't wake up every morning from the dream of winning the Baja 1000 in a Trophy Truck. Desert racing isn't the central theme of my existence - it's actually just a small and highly incongruous (but dearly loved) facet of my totally weird life.

These days, Class 8 is probably not for everyone; maybe not anyone but us "illogical dillholes" haha! - but I like it and I like the small group of people who race it.

It's the perfect class for me.
i understand your point COMPLETELY......the only problem i have is your PREVIOUS nonsense about top ten finshes and "smoking" tt specs/6100.......dont post NONSENSE and "I" never would of posted anything.......but i still believe your fun meter wouldnt change by combining all the tiny v8 truck classes and having 10-20 in class.........EXCEPT the fact that you would no longer get the $8 trophy.....

Dirty Harry

RDC Crypto
Website
www.harrysituations.com
Like I said, I think it would be fine to have some kind of a "Star Wars Bar" class that consolidates a bunch of trucks that have similar performance characteristics, so the classes that have been marginalized can have a place to play.

VORRA did something similar with their "Group T" class. They didn't have enough truck entries for a bunch of different classes, but it ended up being really competitive with the Germans in their Class 8, Jake Povey (who now works at Menzies Motorsports) in his I-beam 1450 truck, and Sam Cothrun and Steve LaRoza in their 7200 trucks. As different as these vehicles are, the racing was incredibly close.

Kent Kroeker

RDC Crypto
Website
www.koreperformance.com
Yup - that's a good idea. All it takes is everyone to agree beforehand.

Pete, hypothetical. Hy-po-the-ti-cal. It means it's an idea, not reality. Words like "probably" and "would" in my posts actually mean something.

You've got to read my posts carefully, not skim them. Earlier in this thread I never said I finished top ten in TT - if I did, then please quote me. I brought up a theoretical action that could possibly yield a certain result. It's a subjective interpretation of possibility.

An _actual_ result was entering my Class 8 truck in Trophy Truck Class at BAP and getting on the podium. This actually happened this year. That's different than saying I was in the top 10 in a BITD or SCORE race, because I wasn't - and SNORE is JV compared to the other sanctioning bodies, because the top teams usually don't show up. I've never entered in Trophy/Trick truck, so how could I have claimed a top ten finish? My statements were hypothetical, and filled with language that indicated that.

Nevertheless, I like that you've appointed yourself the Supreme Arbiter of Race Dezert. Your fight for hypothetical justice has provided hours of amusement for me! hahaahha! - which is why I didn't ask you to quote me right away. It's too much fun to see you get all worked up and indignant. It's one of my favorite things.

I'll let you drive my truck one day and you can tell me what you think. I've driven several makes of Trophy Truck and Spec TTs and my 8 truck is much faster than the 3 different Spec trucks I've driven, but not quite as fast as the five different TTs I've driven - not in the motor department, just limited by CG and front suspension. Remember, this is not racing, just driving laps - bumps and turns at Plaster City and Barstow and taking times. And it's one person's (my) impression, so these data are not entirely relevant. You have different ideas about stuff. That's fine.

(smiley face winking in a non-threatening way followed by some regular smiley faces for extra friendliness)

BANNED4LIFE

RDC Crypto
hypothetically......if my AUNT had BALLS, she'd be my uncle...........you admit that you cant even beat macre, enough said......

baja rudy

RDC Crypto
Pete/Kent: If I had a facebook account I would hypothetically "like" you both. Good thing I don't.

Kent Kroeker

RDC Crypto
Website
www.koreperformance.com
Evans, truck is looking good.

We just made some improvements as well. We remade the front bumper, rear spare carriers, rear bumper and also fully re-sealed off the radiator. We've run it both ways - sealed gave 142 mph and still climbing, open gave 136. When it was open it took much longer to reach top speed and was much less comfortable because of turbulence. When I brought it to 142, I still had a few hundred RPM left, but I chickened out. It was over 100 degrees out and I was on pavement. I was concerned about a tire blowing out. It's counter-intuitive but we think sealed works better. It also force feeds air to the radiator, assisting cooling.

Gustav 1.JPG

Gustav 2.JPG

Evans Motorsports

RDC Crypto
image3.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Installed UMracing sun visors this weekend. Also raised the 60 inch LED light bar up 3 inches for more visibility. AND to allow more air flow through the cab. My buddy BJ came by to out my installation of coolers and sun visors and light bar and gave it his blessing. Said my class 8 wont go 136 mph like him and Pete did or like Kent can do in his class 8. He said my head may be effected with a little turbulence in the turns but going it straight it wouldn't be an issue, However he said I would pick up 5 to 10 mph at least putting me into the 130mph range as per our overall plan. Also said if I drop the sun visors down before I hit corners I can scrub off a quick 10 to 15 mph and this would prolong the life of my brake pads. I asked why his trucks window was blocked by his radiator, he said it was because he wanted to keep the sun off the back of his neck.

Kent Kroeker

RDC Crypto
Website
www.koreperformance.com
That's an excellent idea about using the sun visors to boost aerodynamic drag for increasing brake life - far more effective and elegant than the old "Flintstone Trap Door."

Here are a couple of other "Pro's Choice" tips:

1. Fill your tires with helium to reduce unsprung weight and provide a lighter steering feel. Be careful not to use hydrogen or you could suffer the dreaded "Hindenburg Effect."

2. It's important to mount your pumpers above waist level to prevent sharing bio-hazardous fumes, which tend to fall instead of rise - again "counter-intuitive." Mount them too low in the cab and you will always be discussing what condiments the guy next to you used on his adobada. Very distracting. Actually a safety issue.

3. If you mount your spares vertically, like we do, you can use them as "wheelie bars" to assist controlled acceleration. With just under 1000 horsepower, if you're not careful with your right foot, it's easy to completely flip the truck over backwards.

4. Modern Class 8 trucks are so fast, the GPS can't always update rapidly enough. To counter this phenomenon we installed a sextant port in the roof, so my co-driver can use celestial bodies for navigation. It's a bulletproof system but it does require a special mount for the Almanac he has to constantly reference as well as a miniature 5 point harness for the requisite shoulder parrot that comes with the kit.

5. Because the weight of my truck is measured in metric tons, we have to use special valving in the shocks. Standard issue "shims" don't work, so we improvise with other items. In the front we use a two quarters, a nickel and pivot off a dime. In the rear we use a straight stack of four Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. For San Felipe, we add a couple more Susan Bs', close off all the tubes and run Bardahl Motor Honey instead of JM92...

racedoc

RDC Crypto
Kent.......great racing in 12, and yeah it was tight and fun...

truck's are looking good guys.