Who's Working on a Class 8000

Roger Gray

Are you sure he didn't build a new truck for the class 8? Seems the frame rule would not work with the old Blazer chassis and the Class 8.
So from my understanding, yes they are the same vehicle. So this truck is actually a TORSION bar front end. Not your traditional coil over and by pass. My memory sucks for these details. But I heard that Dale convinced Bill Savage to let him convert it to torsion bar to remain competitive in class 3. But then as the class faded away he converted it to class 8.
Not the best pictures, but here’s the front end.

Attachments

Evans Motorsports

Making some progress, removed the old dented bumper, designing a new 40 inch tire carrier bumper. We be reworking fuel cell lids setting up for a disseminator valve and re angling fuel spouts.

Attachments

D Bergstrom

So from my understanding, yes they are the same vehicle. So this truck is actually a TORSION bar front end. Not your traditional coil over and by pass. My memory sucks for these details. But I heard that Dale convinced Bill Savage to let him convert it to torsion bar to remain competitive in class 3. But then as the class faded away he converted it to class 8.
Not the best pictures, but here’s the front end.
I helped out White Lightning Racing around the 97 season when Dale and Brian were racing in Class 8. I believe you are correct, the class 8 was converted from the IFS class 3, hence the reason the front was torsion bars. (I have no idea if the IFS truck was converted from the solid axle truck. I wouldn't surprise me if it was.) I also remember Dale's truck being a quarter elliptical rear suspension, looks like it has been converted since then. I just remember having to load the spare quarter elliptical springs into the semi, those things were heavy!

I know Dale was still racing Class 3 in the IFS truck in 1994. I remember spectating at Parker that year along the goat trail at a jump, and at the end of the day, he gave everyone out there a show by launching off of it. My guess would be it was converted around 95 maybe? I am positive it was a Class 8 at the 96 Baja 1000, because we pitted for him and Brian. Hopefully my memory is correct, seems like that was so long ago!

Doug

Evans Motorsports

She's almost completly naked, we have picked up a few sponsors, We would like to thank Geiser Brothers, RaceLine Beadlock Wheels, VisionX, BFGoodrich and DashesDirect for there support and confidence. A complete restoration and modification with upgrades is underway. We are having some fun in the shop.

Attachments

Josh 8

Torsion/coil. I really don’t think that matters at this point. The intent of concept is to keep beams on older fords and a arms on chevys and dodges.

Heck how many older beam trucks have had new Ford bodies put on them and no one says a word.

Curt L. Did this back in 03-06 with his beamed 8 that had a new body style on it. He won like 20 races in a row in bitd 8000 and no one said a word.

Mark Newhan

I have the Dale White class 8 that was Brian Collins View attachment 193813
Brian bought this truck from Bob DeLozier. I don’t remember who built it, but Brian bought it because it was eligible to be grandfathered during the track width and wheel travel limit era. Dale White did prep it and there trucks were campaigned ou5 of the shop. Dales class 8, Brian’s Class 8 and Alan Pfluegers pro truck.

Josh 8

Brian bought this truck from Bob DeLozier. I don’t remember who built it, but Brian bought it because it was eligible to be grandfathered during the track width and wheel travel limit era. Dale White did prep it and there trucks were campaigned ou5 of the shop. Dales class 8, Brian’s Class 8 and Alan Pfluegers pro truck.
Could the builder of it been Randy Schoff? I know Randy worked for Bob back in the day and prepped the truck. He may have built it too.

Randy and his brother Mark were/are Redlands peeps. His brother Mark had a Ocho back around 04ish. It was the Pac-West truck. I think Matt Towery bought it and then had the the new truck built in a effort to beat me back in the day. Unfortunately that race never happened.

But that truck is now Tony B’s and is for sale.

Josh 8

As a side note to all that. I found an old magazine article about my truck. Here are some pics from 87.

F59DEADF-071D-4A00-81A3-0E4351E1D7A5.jpeg
6500A5CA-CB0B-4583-976D-69AF9B6C453E.jpeg
DC7B23FD-E056-4D57-8238-4DDE1EDBF661.jpeg

Now there is little left of that truck. The frame, fire wall and floor. And the steering wheel. I saved that lol.

1F2EAAB8-593E-4CCB-A9EE-14D151820F08.jpeg

As small piece of history. Auto fab calls there older ford fenders “Ashley glass” because Dave had them make the flairs for this truck. And of course the race truck.

Last edited:

Roger Gray

I think it was built by T.R. Stump.

Roger Gray

I helped out White Lightning Racing around the 97 season when Dale and Brian were racing in Class 8. I believe you are correct, the class 8 was converted from the IFS class 3, hence the reason the front was torsion bars. (I have no idea if the IFS truck was converted from the solid axle truck. I wouldn't surprise me if it was.) I also remember Dale's truck being a quarter elliptical rear suspension, looks like it has been converted since then. I just remember having to load the spare quarter elliptical springs into the semi, those things were heavy!

I know Dale was still racing Class 3 in the IFS truck in 1994. I remember spectating at Parker that year along the goat trail at a jump, and at the end of the day, he gave everyone out there a show by launching off of it. My guess would be it was converted around 95 maybe? I am positive it was a Class 8 at the 96 Baja 1000, because we pitted for him and Brian. Hopefully my memory is correct, seems like that was so long ago!

Doug
It’s awesome to hear the history of these trucks especially from someone who worked on it or the team.

Yea this truck was quarter elliptic and was converted to a 3 link after the crash.

Evans Motorsports

It interesting striping a truck that you just purchased down to the frame, Along the way you find some interesting things. This Geiser Built truck was built in 2000-2001raced until 2009. We don't think its ever been completly taken to the frame since then. I have talked to Rick and Jeff Geiser and several of the past prep worker (Brent and Jason) as the truck was serviced out of Geisers shop for several years. There are some R&D scares here and there a few stress cracks but surprisingly its in great shape. We are going to make some frame and electrical repairs and then use steel it coating on the frame. We will use clear sharks coating on the arms, rear end and links.

Attachments

Looks like I may be a few years behind the curve here lol. I'm trying to build a class 8 to get into the truck side of desert racing and I need some guidance..

The rules clearly list the fact that you need a factory length frame. Also that you're only allowed to clearance certain sections of the frame. I'm curious about cross member modification. The a-arms on my truck are secured by Ubolts into the crossmember, and that isnt going to cut it. I have an idea for a fabricated crossmember to change the mounts, but I'm wondering if thats a "grey area" in the rules.

Does anyone have some insight to this before I break out the plasma? Lol

Bro_Gill

You can do whatever you want to cross members. The 2 main frame rails are what they are talking about in the rules.

retroblazer

It seems to me the IFS front would not graft onto the straight axle frame in any way beneficial. White was a very smart guy and I assume he chose the best frame for his build on that 8.
Dale pushed for the IFS update because he was getting murdered by the TTB Bronco. And yes it made a big difference over the straight axle. I spoke with him in detail as I wanted to learn from him about the circumstances. The rules had been changed in Cl 3 to stop allowing updating or backdating of parts afterwards , so I wanted to know how he was able to make his case with Savage.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Old School 8

I dont post much here, but I do have a build thread in the "Shops", Show & Tell section, under, Doherty Motorsports New Class 8.
I would like to post this quick video, of finally firing up my 700 HP SBC, that has been sitting for the last 10, or 11 years. ("sitting" - meaning in & out of a new chassis a hundred times during construction). This engine came out of my old class 8, when I sold it.

Attachments