Who's your motor guy (VW)?

daltonfixr

Reaction
Who\'s your motor guy (VW)?

We are looking for options on a motor builder. The one we are currently using is in Hesperia (very convenient) and has a good reputation as a motor builder. Also, how often do you have your motor gone through? How many miles/races do you typically go without worrying about your motor? I am interested in type 1 volkswagen stories mainly.

desertracer

Reaction
Re: Who\'s your motor guy (VW)?

When we used to run our 10 car we used wiks for our 1915 and then towards the end we switched over to Jimenez(sp), who took over adam's shop here in so cal, I think they are in orange county now. Both guys did a great job on the motor. We would get a complete rebuild after 3 or 4 mdr races and a guy on our team would do the valves after each race. One thing we learned about the vw type 1's is make sure you get the long reach heads from scat, we ran the shorter ones and the spark plugs didn't have enough thread and it would bolw them out. After blowing the plugs on both of our race motor's we switched over to the longer ones and never had a problem. Another builder to check out is Bonnerhawk, I know they build all of the letner's 12 motors along with many others.

daltonfixr

Reaction

Thanks! Got any phone #'s for these guys? Also, have you herd of Mailman Motors?

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction

yes Leonard builds a great motor he does rob Walters,Art Savedra and many others.

Mike_Cohen

Reaction

I'll second what Desertracer says about Wik's and Jimenez. They both built my engines in Class 12 and once Adam moved to Vegas, George Jimenez took over. He is very honest, conveniently located, and builds awesome engines. He is in Anaheim and can be reached at 714-535-5116. I know he has been working on some awesome Type I Air Cooled Class 10 engines that really move.

Good Luck!
Michael Cohen

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction

Why did Adam move to Vegas?

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction

the mailman motors

Tim_Price

Reaction

Jerry Penhall had a guy named Beanie Boy rebuild our 1600 motor and we're very pleased. (Note: we don't race very often so it's not like it's getting rode real hard.) It was originally a Wik motor but sending it to LV seemed like too much trouble. Beanie Boy is reachable at VW Parts Unlimited in Huntington Beach.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction

Jeff from vee dub parts unlimited has always built the baja shops 1600 cars motors his own class 5 open and a ton of other MDR racers he live in Costa Mesa But works in Huntington Beach the shop number is 714-848-8868 and just ask for Jeff

Mike

Martin

Reaction

Leonard does my engine and I just overalled the last mdr race in a 1600 car the engine ran perfect all day. His # is 714- 532-2883