Whose public tracking will magically fail for the B1000, TT class and others??

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
For the record I love Herbst trucks. Probably one of the best if not the best trucks made. Just not sure how much of the great results are from pushing the rules.

And not all Herbst trucks are questionable. I would bet money the householder Herbst spec truck is legit and zero “cheats” there may be more. Just don’t know.

Mike

Chris_Wilson

RDC Crypto
The Stella system is basically 3 systems in one.
1) There is the GPS receiver and data recorder - this is generally very reliable and the data can only be downloaded at the finish line. This is the basis of penalty data.
2) There is a satellite phone link which uploads a small subset of the data every so often so vehicles can be located and people can track via a website. This is not nearly as reliable for a variety of reasons, as those of you who use sat phones will know, the sat phones don't work as well on race day when the networks get overloaded because there are 100x more people using them. But even when there are no races going on, this technology is a bit spotty.
3) There is an RF data link (a radio signal) that communicates with vehicles nearby to warn of downed riders, stopped cars, etc. This is generally about as reliable as your race radio meaning it's not perfect.
All 3 systems have their own antenna and all 3 systems need their antenna mounted properly for optimal performance, just as your race radio or sat phone antenna needs.
I bring this up because the inference that some teams are cheaters rubs me the wrong way when there could be legit reasons for trackers to go off line that have NOTHING to do with cheating. I'm not saying there are no cheaters, I'm saying that the tracker not tracking on the website is not evidence of cheating even if it is the same teams over and over again.
Look to the penalty reports if you want to establish trends of repeated cheating.

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
The Stella system is basically 3 systems in one.
1) There is the GPS receiver and data recorder - this is generally very reliable and the data can only be downloaded at the finish line. This is the basis of penalty data.
2) There is a satellite phone link which uploads a small subset of the data every so often so vehicles can be located and people can track via a website. This is not nearly as reliable for a variety of reasons, as those of you who use sat phones will know, the sat phones don't work as well on race day when the networks get overloaded because there are 100x more people using them. But even when there are no races going on, this technology is a bit spotty.
3) There is an RF data link (a radio signal) that communicates with vehicles nearby to warn of downed riders, stopped cars, etc. This is generally about as reliable as your race radio meaning it's not perfect.
All 3 systems have their own antenna and all 3 systems need their antenna mounted properly for optimal performance, just as your race radio or sat phone antenna needs.
I bring this up because the inference that some teams are cheaters rubs me the wrong way when there could be legit reasons for trackers to go off line that have NOTHING to do with cheating. I'm not saying there are no cheaters, I'm saying that the tracker not tracking on the website is not evidence of cheating even if it is the same teams over and over again.
Look to the penalty reports if you want to establish trends of repeated cheating.
Depends what you mean by cheating…. The big teams have eyes and clocks on the ground, many don’t. Trying to check your lead or time to make up via the tracker of the same team in your class doesn’t track each race makes it tougher.

Just like you can see a bright orange truck during the day, harder to see at night on a peninsula run maybe 4 years ago at night without rear lights being turned on 😉

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
If the tracker can not get a GPS signal in than it has no way to know where the truck is. With no position data there is no way to give a penalty during or after the race.

One well known team got caught with the tracker disabled while they took a short cut. Does not matter how it got disabled.

That team got a penalty only because there were witnesses that saw them take the short cut. Without witnesses the “cheat” would have gone undetected.

Turning off rear lights is a entirely different kind of “cheat” in my opinion that’s one of the worst kind as it can create a unsafe situation for a vehicle trying to pass. That’s simply not cool and in my book the worst kind of cheat.

Mike

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
If the tracker can not get a GPS signal in than it has no way to know where the truck is. With no position data there is no way to give a penalty during or after the race.

One well known team got caught with the tracker disabled while they took a short cut. Does not matter how it got disabled.

That team got a penalty only because there were witnesses that saw them take the short cut. Without witnesses the “cheat” would have gone undetected.

Turning off rear lights is a entirely different kind of “cheat” in my opinion that’s one of the worst kind as it can create a unsafe situation for a vehicle trying to pass. That’s simply not cool and in my book the worst kind of cheat.

Mike

Would that allow you to speed in speed zones?

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Yes a defeated tracker would allow you to speed. One of the many benefits of not having position data.

I really don’t know how many teams cheat this way. I have zero evidence other than the ones that have got penalties. But I know there is a trend with certain teams having failed trackers.

Mike

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
Imagine said cheater being broken down on the course and then you finding them at full speed and possibly destroying your car, their car, killing yourself or others. My god man it’s just a race. I want to win, but I also want that caution triangle to work. Besides winning that way has no personal glory.

We work really hard to avoid penalties on race day. I think we were 1 of 8 vehicles without a penalty at the 400 in the top classes. It’s not by chance. We cheated.

Just kidding Mike.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
A certain high profile individual cut the course at a 500 one year. Got pointed out by people in the area that saw him. But he didn't get penalized. Didn't win the race.

Another high profile individual was seen on video with his rear lights working, then magically they went out has he went off into the night. Happened in several different spots throughout the night as was captured on video. Not sure what happened to said individual or their race vehicle.

Rcamp99

RDC Crypto
I don't get it.
Imagine said cheater being broken down on the course and then you finding them at full speed and possibly destroying your car, their car, killing yourself or others. My god man it’s just a race. I want to win, but I also want that caution triangle to work. Besides winning that way has no personal glory.

We work really hard to avoid penalties on race day. I think we were 1 of 8 vehicles without a penalty at the 400 in the top classes. It’s not by chance. We cheated.

Just kidding Mike.
clean race except the highway drama right jajaja.

Rcamp99

RDC Crypto
Not sure if that’s a compliment or a threat…. But yea our day will be a 2 day long Baja 1000 peninsula win
For you brothers. It’s a mix in the middle. If I ever catch you in my golf cart I’d love to give you a love tap. But that will never happen.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
For you brothers. It’s a mix in the middle. If I ever catch you in my golf cart I’d love to give you a love tap. But that will never happen.
Strangers things have happened in my short time in Baja. But then I get to tap you back…

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
This is getting so gay
Let Me Hug You Reaction GIF

FourLow

RDC Crypto