• Forum membership has its advantages....

Why aren't there more mid-engine buggies/open-wheel cars?

MCM MOTORSPORTS

A lot of the 2000 series jimcos were mid engine. With all the transmission issues at the time it made sense to have the gearbox poking out the back. Also with a 600hp turbo 4 cylinder cosworth, the engine almost weighed as much as the transmission.

ICR Racing 1044

Trust me, Ive expected most people to call [email protected]&t, lol 92" track width. The car uses all "off the shelf parts" No custom anything. Just parts optimization. Ive been busy with other projects, but once I get everything together Ill post some pics. Or feel free to stop by the shop if youre ever in the Anaheim area!
please share I want to see aswell

steve scott

We are in the middle of making our 6200 mid engine. The reason we are going mid engine was to go from 119 inch wheel base to 128 inch. At 119 the axles had backward angle eating our up and down potential. At 128 wheel base we are now dead on perpendicular allowing us to increase travel without stressing CVs
IMG_0375.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0374.jpg

ICR Racing 1044

michael.gonzalez

This one just got posted in another thread by @g.out racing . He skipped the transaxle and went for a transmission/differential setup. Very neat.

1998 I converted my 2 seat raceco into a single seat mid engine V8 600HP clocked 130 MPH, I was only V8 buggy racing the SCORE 1999 Primm 300, besides the truggy, which is why we built the car to run some power against Herbst, we did have great battle at Fireworks 250, but I g-out so hard broke the bellhousing from impact.. Car was rolled by View attachment 208140View attachment 208141View attachment 208142friend at 100 MPH and had to lay to rest.. RIP

I know most haven't heard of me, but I too am in the design stages of a ecotec/th350/diff mid engine class 10 myself. Since 3000 is dead (ish) I'm going for class 10 now.

OFFRD-JNKIE

We are in the middle of making our 6200 mid engine. The reason we are going mid engine was to go from 119 inch wheel base to 128 inch. At 119 the axles had backward angle eating our up and down potential. At 128 wheel base we are now dead on perpendicular allowing us to increase travel without stressing CVsView attachment 208082View attachment 208083View attachment 208084
Just curious do you think the heat from the exhaust being located there will effect the trans temps too much?

steve scott

Just curious do you think the heat from the exhaust being located there will effect the trans temps too much?
We ran it at Parker and had perfect trans temps. We have always had a cooler. We had a flat and the flat started melting so we built heat shields for the spares

Attachments