• Forum membership has its advantages....

Why can't we have unified class a unified class numbering system?

Racerinside

I have followed desert racing all my life, and I have never been more confused about race car numbers. Every promotor has there own numbering system, and even if you stay with one series, your number might change every race (unless you drive a trophy truck) for example this truck, which races in MDR has to race in either 1400/1450, would be a class 6 in SCORE, 7200 in BITD, 1400 in MORE, 1800 in CODE, class 7? in SNORE, etc. I know I am not the only one that finds this confusing, imagine telling a potential sponsor that you have a class 6/7200/1400/etc. truck, and then when they ask for the number, you tell them you don't know til you sign up at each race. Maybe a third party company can be inspect every car, kinda like what savage does for safety tags, but for class specs and give it a race number that it keeps all year long no matter what organization it races in. what do you guys think of this idea?

JB-13

I fully agree and understand your confusion, but I think that the problem could be due to one of my two theories. Either each racing organization uses there own classification system because of possible trademark laws by other organizations or they just simply have a lot of pride in their racing outfit and don't want to be copy cats. I could be completely wrong but that is what I thought of when I notice how every race promoters have different class and numbering systems, I bet there is some one on RDC who has the answers though.

Roice

You are right every promoter want to use their system so we change numbers based on the series. I also agree with the more simple system. Yes it would be wonderful to sell to a sponsor and also for retail/Media.

Jeepspeedster

ask for a new class and your wish is granted.

one approach is stablish a class with a set of roles and ask sanc. bodies to follow these roles. A class 7 unlimited should be unlimited in any form and shape. no need for class 6.

Case in example is Jeepspeed or protruck. We register with Jeepspeed and receive a number that stays with the driver/car for as long as you like. This very number is used to race in all racing orgs. SCORE, BITD, MORE, MDR, SNORE....

PAB

40's rock!
We are glad to have #16, #1 and #600 for the entire season!

I hate the way the numbers can't be kept. I think that at least the top ten from each class that are likely to return the following year should take their ranked numbers for the next year. This would help fans/sponsors/media keep track of those that are consistent players in each class and would give racers something to shoot for other than just the championship numbers.

Numbers don't have a trademark value and I don't think they can be trademarked, a class name could be trademarked but after being involved with a few trademarking processes I seriously doubt that any are actually trademarked other than owned entities (Trophy Lite and Protruck come to mind) and maybe SCORE Trophy Truck. I will point out that none of these names are ever seen with the R or TM following them.

BITD, SCORE and SNORE all allow the same numbers on the TTs now.

2 dumbest numbering systems IMO go to BITD.....1600 cars as class 2000 is LAME and making the Unlimited cars run the 4 number system is a cluster that is unmarketable.

jsallenbach

Yah, keep them all the same, it's like when AMSA was around you raced with letters, EX: 9C or 12B, score was class 9 or 10 like it is now, when you raced the Mint 400 class 9 our number was 223. Keep them the same, to make it easy on everyone.

Fourstroker

Yah, keep them all the same, it's like when AMSA was around you raced with letters, EX: 9C or 12B, score was class 9 or 10 like it is now, when you raced the Mint 400 class 9 our number was 223. Keep them the same, to make it easy on everyone.
Right now SCORE is the only org that does not allow perpetual numbers. I agree that BITD numbering system is screwy but at least I know what my number is every time I race there. I keep my same number racing MORE, SNORE, DRIVE or MDR. BITD I have to change 1 number and SCORE...who knows what it will be!!!

masleca

We are glad to have #16, #1 and #600 for the entire season!

I hate the way the numbers can't be kept. I think that at least the top ten from each class that are likely to return the following year should take their ranked numbers for the next year. This would help fans/sponsors/media keep track of those that are consistent players in each class and would give racers something to shoot for other than just the championship numbers.

Numbers don't have a trademark value and I don't think they can be trademarked, a class name could be trademarked but after being involved with a few trademarking processes I seriously doubt that any are actually trademarked other than owned entities (Trophy Lite and Protruck come to mind) and maybe SCORE Trophy Truck. I will point out that none of these names are ever seen with the R or TM following them.

BITD, SCORE and SNORE all allow the same numbers on the TTs now.

2 dumbest numbering systems IMO go to BITD.....1600 cars as class 2000 is LAME and making the Unlimited cars run the 4 number system is a cluster that is unmarketable.
PAB,
If I'm not mistaken, (I know you'll correct me if I am....)
I think BITD's numbering system got screwy because, back in the day, Casey started out as an organization that raced only bikes/quads. I think, some of the current class numbers in the system that us country clubbers & buggy dorks are used to were already taken up by bike classes when Casey started running cars/trucks. He probably didn't want to change the bike class numbers that had already existed in his organization and tick off his already loyal bike following. He probably never expected that his organization would get so huge !!!

Maybe some old time Nevada bike racers can chime in and clear this up.

I doubt that Casey is having some sort of numbering system "pissing contest,".....
In my opinion, over the last few years, he has proven to be pretty flexible in making the adjustments necessary to make the desert racing experience as fun, family oriented and easy as possible.......
wait a minute....except for SNORE....they should be the model with their 2008 & 2009 seasons.

Just my 10 cents worth !!

danzar

Casey was threatened with a law suit. If you do not believe that just ask him, that's what I did.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
One numbering system AND when you draw your position, thats what # you are. First off is 1001 and so on. Its so much easier to keep track of.

BajaDale

I think if you numbered all the vehicles the same in every racing organization you'd also have to make the class rules the same in every organization right? I think the difference in the class rules from each race promoter is alot of the numbering problem. :confused:

RZRS EDGE

Cant we all just get along ;)

masleca

Casey was threatened with a law suit. If you do not believe that just ask him, that's what I did.
Wow,...that sucks.

Hey Keith,
Do you know if it was a lawsuit from another promoter, an angry bike team, or.....??
Just wondering, it's really not that big a deal.
On my list of 6,752 things to be worried about, the unified numbering system is down at about 5,500 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cixelsyd

Case in example is Jeepspeed or protruck. We register with Jeepspeed and receive a number that stays with the driver/car for as long as you like. This very number is used to race in all racing orgs. SCORE, BITD, MORE, MDR, SNORE....
This is not entirely true for protrucks, they change numbers between SCORE and BITD. Although, all it involves is adding a 1 to the front of the number.