• Forum membership has its advantages....

Why do I love Crandon so much ?

sb4pro

Being from a small town in Western NY all my friends and family ( as well as some on here ) wonder why I love Crandon so much . Well this video sums it up better than I could ever explain . Too me Crandon is the epitome of what small town community is all about .

Ziggy

Great video. We drove 20 hrs to get there every year from Montana and we were treated like royalty. No place like it on earth.

sb4pro

It's about 16 hours for us to drive it too . We take route 80/90 from Buffalo through PA , OH , IN , IL and up into Madison WI where we catch route 39 which turns into route 51 up to Rhinelander where we get our hotel . It's only 20 mins from the track . We usually break it up into to a two day trip , drive about 1/2 way ( which is usually South Bend , IN near Norte Dame ) get a cheap hotel there and drive the rest of the way the next day .
We always make sure we are in Crandon early cause we love the parade and the VFW breakfast . We have always sat in the barn cause my mom doesn't walk well and it was a good spot for her to sit , but this year she has a handicap parking plaque so we will sit in the handicap gazebo . We have friends who live in WI that we meant at Crandon a couple years ago and they meet us there too . Plus this year I promised Tater ( well known buddy of mine on here ) that we would definatly meet up with him at his camp . So I hope you see now Crandon is more than just a race , it's a 40,000 person family reunion lol . Hope to see you all there and add to the list of family I gotta meet there lol .

Ziggy

Oh yea its a way of life. We bought a 30ft camper and pulled it there every time. We loved the camping and always ended up cooking for 25 or more. It was like an extended family. Cliff and Jack (RIP) treated us to a pontoon ride around the lake, my kids will never forget it. The whole town puts on a class act and it literally world renowned.

handmethemic

The title of my friend Derek's video says it all. The whole community here has embraced how significant the events are, both to the area and to a growing sport.

Even cooler, now, is that it's generational. Heck, there are corners on the track that have been worked by the same family for 30 years--the first volunteers were grandpa or grandma, and now it's the grandkids with flags and extinguishers.

The folks who put on the race now have grown up at the track, and as our former mayor said, their kids and grandkids will be there too.

In a broader, feel-good sense, we're all family out there, and the drivers and fans that come from all over the country are just distant relatives that show up twice a year for our reunions. (EDIT: I see that sb4pro said essentially the same thing. Not sure how I missed it, but it goes to show that we really feel that way.)

sb4pro

Awesome !!!! Thank Derek for the video . As for us saying the same thng , that just goes to prove just how true it really is . ;) Hope to see you all this Labor Day .