Why do I want / need an oil cooler?

SuperRanger

Reaction
Sorry for the dumb question. I am prepping a King of the Hammers rig for V2R. I plan on plenty of cooling and have good trans cooling. Do I need to complicate this thing with an oil cooler?

347 Ford motor, 3800# race ready.

Thanks

Race8100

Reaction
Sorry for the dumb question. I am prepping a King of the Hammers rig for V2R. I plan on plenty of cooling and have good trans cooling. Do I need to complicate this thing with an oil cooler?

347 Ford motor, 3800# race ready.

Thanks
I'd say yes. Keeps from doing damage to your motor.

I added an oil cooler and a gauge to my 351. The cooler has a thermostat to keep oil out of the cooler until it heats up. It's great to watch it work on the gauge. Also, the extra capacity can't hurt either.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Definitely run one, most motor oil cant live past 250* really.

Ranch Hand

Reaction
Think about a lot of high rpm, low speed running (thus not a lot of air flow) like soft sand or silt. Also, oil temps, unlike water temps, do not decrease rapidly, once the oil gets hot, it tends to stay hot. The main thing, once the oil gets "burned" the reduction in lubrication is dramatic and bearings go away in a hurry. Oil coolers are a cheap insurance for any race car.

Triaged

Reaction
If you have plenty of cooling you can also run a heat exchanger.

07FJRog

Reaction
oil cooling can also help with lower water temps to a point.

get a quality cooler like a Setrab, with a fan on it.

Wild bill

Reaction
Run a cooler. Fluidyne makes a 15"x15" that is shrouded and a fan mounted. Summit sells them for about $470. The money spent will save your motor.

Dezertpilot

Reaction

Dezertpilot

Reaction
oil cooling can also help with lower water temps to a point.

get a quality cooler like a Setrab, with a fan on it.
This is true, less heat in the oil means less heat in the engine.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Run a cooler. Fluidyne makes a 15"x15" that is shrouded and a fan mounted. Summit sells them for about $470. The money spent will save your motor.
I switched to that Fluidyne 15" x 15" cooler and when I did my oil temp was reduced by over 20 degrees. It's a little noisy, but who cares---at least if I can hear it, I know the fan on it is going. I mounted it real close to my head, so that's my fault. I have to agree that Fluidyne worked really good for me.

nismogizmo

Reaction
I was told that you want your oil to be around the same temp as your water, but now that i think about it wouldnt they be reletivily close anyway?