Why do so many people confuse talent with money?

DeanB

Reaction
Oops! The title is backwards, it should read: "Why do so many people confuse money with talent?"

I was just reading the more @ MORE post and was reminded of this question. It seems to be common in any high dollar racing that talent is confused with money and experience. Does anyone else seem to notice this?

Last edited:

johnnyweb

Reaction
Not sure what exactly you are saying? My take on this is you can have all the money in the world and it does not mean you will win races. The flip side is it will take money to have an opportunity to use your talent to win races.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
I was just reading the more @ MORE post and was reminded of this question. It seems to be very common in any high dollar racing that talent is confused with money and experience. Does anyone else seem to notice this?
Why not just post on that thread then?

I have noticed your post is not really making sense? Care to clarify? I was one of the main point makers on that thread and I was pretty sure I was clear?

Baja Fool

Reaction
I think the question should be the other way around....I'm just sayin'.;)

JAM 1600

Reaction
I was just reading the more @ MORE post and was reminded of this question. It seems to be very common in any high dollar racing that talent is confused with money and experience. Does anyone else seem to notice this?
I am not sure I would call it a "common occurance" but there are definately those that have money and own some type of expensive race cars that are what we would call "SHORT" when it comes to having talent. Then again there are some racers who are short on money but are wealthy when it comes to" TALENT "! Some are even lucky enough to be noticed by those that have money and then the combination produces winners ! :D

Baja Jim

Reaction
I think off-road racing is one of the only sports where you truly must have as much talent as money to be successful. I don't care how good of a car, truck or bike you drive. You still need to understand when to go fast, how to save a vehicle for hours on end to make it to the finish and how fast these vehicles can truly go. Every time I take someone for a ride they are blown away!!! It doesn't matter if its in a class 5 car or a Class 1 car. The speed that it takes to win an off-road race in any class is not something that someone can buy. It takes miles and miles of racing and driving to compete at the highest level.

I've been around a few teams that have had plenty of money and expected to win as soon as they purchased new top of the line race cars, and their already gone. Off-road racing also requires passion. Who in there right mind would subject themselves to the rigors of off-road racing and the continuous dissapointments without passion. So when I see a new money team that shows up from nowhere I make a mental bet withmyself as to how long they will last. The ones that last and have the big Money my hats off to them in joining in on the best form of racing there is!!!!!!

Jeepspeedster

Reaction
Its amazing how fast one can go, if they don't have to pay to fix it.
Since I got neither, I just take seat and watch.

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
So you're trying to say any donkey with $800,000 could buy a TT and a team and go attempt to win the Baja 1000? Does this make you angry? :confused:

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
When it is your job to race its pretty easy to get good at it if you have SOME talent to start with. And yes $$ will win 9 out of 10 times.

Tyler7

Reaction
This is a never ending topic with most well known motorsports. So just to let you guys know it will never end jajaja, i guess you have to start somewhere if you have the money why not find out if you have talent in a TT or a Class 1 if not ohh well sell it and move on, and alot of people have no money but alot of talent so they have to work there way up. At least you have the chance to work your way up in this sport. With most sports like nascar, and trust me not comparing nascar to desert racing cause I hate people that do that, you have to have both in order to get any were in the sport. but sux if you only have the talent part cause youll probably never get the chance like you use to back in the day when talent was your ticket in not money or both.

SEANY

Reaction
The problem with having "The Money" and all the best equipment is your expected to do well and when you don't you turn into "The rich guy that doesn't deserve to race and everyone swears they have more talent then" When I raced stock cars I will admit we had very nice equipment but I was a rookie driver and didn't do very well, and for some reason I was always the center of everyone else's conversations. "If I had the motor Sean had I would win every race" It would piss me off because I never had the chance to be a "Rookie" because I had nice stuff. I'm just saying!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
im convinced if you have the money you can walk out onto the playing field never being in an offroad truck but have a little driving talent and buy a couple TT's, a crew and all necessary supplies and go out to the desert with said team and supplies and drive/practice in your TT for 50 hours a week and then go win races. If you have the money for a top notch program...gaining experience through seat time is what will win races.

I dont understand why you never hear of big teams going out for "practice" per se. In every other form of racing you practice as a full time job. In any sport you practive like a real job but to 99.9% of racers...its a hobby no matter how many millions they spend and when it comes to hobbies, its usually the guy with the most money that wins.

Wild bill

Reaction
The true definition of talent is when a team can be competitive without the $.

ACME

Reaction
Oops! The title is backwards, it should read: "Why do so many people confuse money with talent?"

I was just reading the more @ MORE post and was reminded of this question. It seems to be common in any high dollar racing that talent is confused with money and experience. Does anyone else seem to notice this?
I have to agree with you to an extent as even here on the internet, you consitantly see people enter this sport with little or no experience and watch them jump into classes which may exceed their talent and/or experience level just because they have the resources. Think about how many times a "New Team" has posted a high dollar effort with a shiny semi and falshy paint job and they receive instant recognition and or status regardless of their experience or obvious lack there of and a lot of these people would never start in a limited class as it doesn't carry the prestiege that the unlimited classes do. It's the same in boating, bikes and almost anything that has ego's affixed to it and sadly, sometimes it ends tragically...

J Prich

Reaction
This reeks a bit of sour grapes.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I just finished reading Malcolm Gladwell's Ouliers and now feel that Talent in desert racing is the result of money.

Talent comes after putting in x amount of hours. Anyone can be as good as Robby Gordon if they have the same opportunities he had. One has to start at an early age and race as much as possible to be considered an expert at a later point. That takes money as you will be absent from school, work and social engagements. To put in so many hours you need to afford to own or operate race cars, maintain them, crash them, hospital bills, crew, travel etc.

The person that has no money therefore can not be as successful as the one that was in a position to put in the hours needed to an expert.

Racing = Money

FlyHiFlyLo

Ace Mechanic
Reaction
Klaus, we are screwed!

"they are invariably the beneficiaries of hidden advantages and extraordinary opportunities and cultural legacies that allow them to learn and work hard and make sense of the world in ways others cannot." Examining the lives of outliers from Mozart to Bill Gates, he builds a convincing case for how successful people rise on a tide of advantages, "some deserved, some not, some earned, some just plain lucky."

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
i just finished reading malcolm gladwell's ouliers and now feel that talent in desert racing is the result of money.

Talent comes after putting in x amount of hours. Anyone can be as good as robby gordon if they have the same opportunities he had. One has to start at an early age and race as much as possible to be considered an expert at a later point. That takes money as you will be absent from school, work and social engagements. To put in so many hours you need to afford to own or operate race cars, maintain them, crash them, hospital bills, crew, travel etc.

The person that has no money therefore can not be as successful as the one that was in a position to put in the hours needed to an expert.

Racing = money
ding ding ding!!! Winner!!!!! Exactly!