Why do so many people confuse talent with money?

FlyHiFlyLo

Ace Mechanic
RDC Crypto
Website
www.flyhiflylo.blogspot.com
Alan Pfleuger drove himself nuts with DNF's trying to be different.

What makes you think that Geiser, Jimco, Stout, or a BMS aren't looking to push the envelope so that they can offer a better product than the other guys?

Free market and competition will drive development.

Personally I think that the DA #16 TT is on the cutting edge. Rick and Blue are constantly updating it.

There are only so many options that are both fast AND reliable. As technology and materials advance so do the vehicles. A big name builder has to offer speed and reliability. The changes they make do not come at the expense of reliability so they might appear to advance slowly but I can tell you the 16 is CONSTANTLY being updated......Bet you wish you knew what Ricky G knows!

Sorry but if you guys see running a Geiser or some other "cookie cutter" as a liability you need to go for a ride in one.

PS. What works is what works.......I bet that RG's truck just ain't that different.

There is no way I would turn down any of the trucks mentioned. But as you say, Flooger was looking for something more... He could have bought any cookie cutter 3 times over. I commend him.

And, when RG says he don't need to build the next level because he dominates with what he has... That is bad for the sport and also tells you how cutting edge the cookie cutters are. What do you think Ivan and Cals truck would look and be like today? What do you think the rest of the guys TT would look and be like today if edge was being pushed like it was prior to 2000?

I mean the latest most high tech thing to be passed around in the last few years is the use of airdams and deflectors. WAFJ!

curt

RDC Crypto
Website
www.hayosmotorsports.com
While I agree that money can make it easier to expose natural talent in our sport, it is still not the defining issue for most of the classes...Most people here are comparing the characteristics of the very elite, most expensive classes in our sport which by car counts is still not the majority of the racers. While money can reduce the amount of time we have to put into the truck ie sending out brackets to a laser cutter or making them all by hand. As in all things in life, it's what you are willing to sacrifice for your passion. Most everyone has a little bit of financial resources, do you go out to dinner 3 times a week or buy a shock??? We started racing in SCORE 15 years ago in a little stock mini, it was something we could afford to build. After a couple of seasons, it was evident that we could either keep racing SCORE or switch to VORRA which was way closer to home and thus cheaper to run allowing us to reallocate funds to a better truck and a more pleasant experience. As time went by, we got tired of replacing parts so upgrades were in order. The stock mini became a 7s truck over a few years and finally a 7 open truck for the last 10 years. The point is, we sacrificed vacations, new cars, dinners out etc for what we wanted to do. It also helped that we stayed racing within our means, as our means grew so did the racing program. We made everything we have except shocks and safety equipt so the major cost was time. First lesson, don't race on plastic EVER, if you can't write a check for it, IT IS OUTSIDE YOUR MEANS...Although I'd love to get the wife behind the wheeel of a TT, it would be more for the experience of it...We wouldn't want to own one, there's no way we could afford to maintain it at the level necessary to be competetive.

In the end, more money can be a handicap...The more you have the more you can spend, the more you spend the faster you go, the faster you go, the higher class you run, the higher class you run, the more you spend... It's a circular argument, notice that nowhere did I say successful or even happy. As Clint said..."A mans got to know his limitations"

We've HAPPILY raced for most of 15 years, our truck is safe, fast, and dependable. We've won 2 season championships and numerous races in our class. Racing has made family life both difficult and also brought us closer together. Our racing is something we are proud of and we've only missed 1 race we planned to attend in all that time. The girls are now 17 and 18, the 17 year old has learned both Autocad and Solidworks on her own and is designing the front suspension for the new truck, it hasn't cost a penny for this and as for talent, she will just have to see if she has any over time.

If you want to see natural talent, come see a kid named KC at VORRA on the Sacramento, Prairie City shortcourse. His truck cost is probably half ours, but he has no problem pushing us or anyone else around for 10 laps no matter what they spent...Curt

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Okay but no snooping around the #16 truck at the Mil cause we got some new super secret stuff going on and I just figured everyone else had heard about it..............

rickf

RDC Crypto
Okay but no snooping around the #16 truck at the Mil cause we got some new super secret stuff going on and I just figured everyone else had heard about it..............

Did you guys fill the frame with Helium again?

FlyHiFlyLo

Ace Mechanic
RDC Crypto
Website

Yeah I heard about the secret 51K trans you got...LOL

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
If I told you I'd ..............well you get the picture. I can tell you that it rhymes with super secret tracker jamming device............

It's good to have friends at the pentagon!

FlyHiFlyLo

Ace Mechanic
RDC Crypto
Website
If I told you I'd ..............well you get the picture. I can tell you that it rhymes with super secret tracker jamming device............

It's good to have friends at the pentagon!

See now that's the kind of stuff we need to be talk'n about! Maybe next race he could secretly stick his tracker on RG's truck then he could tie for the win. :D

bajafox

Accepted
RDC Crypto

I bet it has something to do with keeping the jacks in place.... :D

randy s

RDC Crypto
as far as confusing talent and money goes,,, we don't have a he-ll of alot of either. combine those with also not being very smart, and we have to rely on just being persistant [sp]. so far so good i think.

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Can you imagine if the jacks hadn't killed us at Primm and by some fortune we won the Primm 300........And then lost it due to penalties.......I already told Pab I'd have to kill him in his sleep if that happens!

As far as I'm concerned the jack failures saved his life...........

OldGreen

RDC Crypto
Dean. . .to answer your question:

Money is far more common than talent. So, when searching for talent you will often stumble upon money. Until somebody REALLY figures out how to market our sport, the true talent will likely go undiscovered save for a few exceptions...There are definately a few people that are blessed with both, but wouldn't it be nice if there were, I dunno. . .50 Andy McMillans with equal support on the track at the same time?

Chase 2

RDC Crypto
I'm not sure who exactly the people are that you say confuses money with talent. No one I know does, or i guess I should say I don't know of anyone who does. Maybe someone up in the grandstands might, oh wait, we don't have grandstands at most desert races. Talent or not, money or not, all desert racers get mud boggers!

If you want to see tons of money and nobody caring about talent, go to a vintage sports car race. Cars worth cubic mega bucks and nobody cares who wins, they are all having fun!

rickf

RDC Crypto
Until somebody REALLY figures out how to market our sport, the true talent will likely go undiscovered save for a few exceptions...There are definately a few people that are blessed with both, but wouldn't it be nice if there were, I dunno. . .50 Andy McMillans with equal support on the track at the same time?

Micky Thompson figured that out years ago, too bad it didn't stick.

troyharper

DA Meatball
RDC Crypto
Why not just post on that thread then?

I have noticed your post is not really making sense? Care to clarify? I was one of the main point makers on that thread and I was pretty sure I was clear?

He lacks writing talent! :)

spudmasta

RDC Crypto
wow im a bit gobb smacked lol
all i can say is larry perkins in a vw 1600 beetle out of his dads chicken coupe was beating the mitzy rally cars up until the last day when his engine died with 3 hours to go (1980)
ive seen a crappy holden torana stock compete against subarus and evos and it got into the top ten
talent is something u have to start with and with good prep and a better understanding of your machine and your course will make u better
skill is what people with out pure talent have which includes having to practice alot
money can help u out but in the end if u put a money cap on racing the finishing order would end up being a lot different to a race with out it
i belive money or not u can still be a good drive and off road seems to be more about prep than machines
u can have the biggest engine the best shock and all the equipment under the sun but if u havent graspped ur cousre cant negosiate a corner or roll ur truck ever 2 minutes ur not going to get far
so in the end the people who are winning races must have some skill/talent or theyd end up in a ditch

btw i cant spell or write properly eg know tallent/skill and no amout of money will get me published

glamisrnr

RDC Crypto
I'm not sure who exactly the people are that you say confuses money with talent. No one I know does, or i guess I should say I don't know of anyone who does. Maybe someone up in the grandstands might, oh wait, we don't have grandstands at most desert races. Talent or not, money or not, all desert racers get mud boggers!

If you want to see tons of money and nobody caring about talent, go to a vintage sports car race. Cars worth cubic mega bucks and nobody cares who wins, they are all having fun!

Or a Nascar race, lots of money and only one way to turn. LOL

Kent Kroeker

RDC Crypto
Website
www.koreperformance.com
This thread is mostly about respect.

To risk and win without the benefit of legacy money - in racing, business, life or whatever is noble and brave.

"Self-made" = Corky McMillin (American Bad A**)

"Spoon-fed" = Double Rainbow.

What underscores almost every post in this thread is the notion that if you're born into a situation that facilitates success, your accomplishments have far less value than if you win having come from humble beginnings.

That's why the sons of "landed elite" in Europe usually serve in the military - so nobody can ever say, "He always had it easy and never risked anything for anyone but himself".

Win with legacy money = Who cares?

Win without legacy money = Respect.

gunit

RDC Crypto
Website
www.gun-it.com
These multi-generational stars in sports have a tremendous advantage. It is not just the money, growing up in the sport eliminates much of the trial by error portion of the learning curve.

I see it this way:

Win as a legacy = EXPECTED

Win without benefit of legacy = RESPECTED.