Why do they need Helicopters anyway?

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
If they cant radio the racer, drop parts, or move drivers why do teams use them and why is an aircraft allowed anyways?

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
You have obviuosly never been in a helicopter during a race. It helps more than you know.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I think SCORE needs a blimp. Bob S could just hang around up there at 8k ft and Sal could part it over the cheater lines. Ha

RocketMan

Reaction
They also carry medical personel in case of an emergency....and if you had the $$$ you'd have one too...

Last edited:

Forty1Racing

Reaction
Just the concept of having Ground chase, Air chase, hell maybe even Sea chase is awesome. :D

Elk Hunter

Reaction
Maybe not all but some use them to: drop parts, radio different lines around obstacles and other racers, drop mechanic, radio position of racers behind and in front of them, transport co-riders drivers, move slower vehicles over (before they get slowed by dust), move spectators, shoot video, carry a medic, radio relay, encrypted channels to communicate w vehicle.

promaxmarine

Reaction
If they cant radio the racer, drop parts, or move drivers why do teams use them and why is an aircraft allowed anyways?
they are the best chase vehicle you can have! most important is the emt that is on board. there is not a team out there with a chopper that wouldnt land to help you (another racer) in a bad accident! ie, in the past herbst, collins, norman, gordon, honda choppers that have landed and helped out! if your race budget allowed you would have one too!

ACME

Reaction
A savvy "BUDGET" TT racer once told me: "Imagine how fast you could go if someone told you where the booby traps, bottle necks, bad G outs, traffic, alternate lines to pass and get around issues as well as upcoming corners are and also have the ability to know these things in thick dust? Could you save 5 mins, 10 mins in 500 miles over a guy who doesn't have a chopper?" IMO If you take the GPS, Helo's and prerunning out of the equation and you'd see who the real drivers are...

Reaction
Maybe not all but some use them to: drop parts, radio different lines around obstacles and other racers, drop mechanic, radio position of racers behind and in front of them, transport co-riders drivers, move slower vehicles over (before they get slowed by dust), move spectators, shoot video, carry a medic, radio relay, encrypted channels to communicate w vehicle.
You don't really believe that do you? That would be deliberate cheating.

Baja Joe

Reaction
If you cant afford one, dont ask. :D

The guys in the chopper have a birds eye view of some of the best racing there is. Helo riding is s thrill in itself plus then add in watching 800 hp ripping thru the dez.... The pilot and co pliot said it was the ride of a lifetime to fly all the way to Cabo and back. Nuff said.

Video for advertising and sponsors can be another reason.

I got some cool footage of me and my team racing, from the helo view, and will forever be greatfull to finally see how slow I really am. LOL!

Last edited:

Forty1Racing

Reaction
yeah the arial footage is alway amazing.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
I'm pretty sure they opened up the communication thing since it can't be monitored anyway. I think they did this a couple years ago, Pete the rule follower will know.

I don't have a helicopter but even though I know they are an advantage, I was trying to follow guys with a heli at the bottleneck at this 500 but ended up with Voss and Steinberger in the same spot, I still think they are good for everyone.

If something goes down the helicopters will divert from their race vehicle and render aid, many of the helos have a medical type person on board.

I will say this, I have passed a few guys with a helicopter overhead and you know they are coaching...no doubt. For these guys they get more bumper than others...just like runners

If you buzz me to make dust it will get ugly and I will make you known so stay away

Reaction
I'm pretty sure they opened up the communication thing since it can't be monitored anyway. I think they did this a couple years ago, Pete the rule follower will know.

I don't have a helicopter but even though I know they are an advantage, I was trying to follow guys with a heli at the bottleneck at this 500 but ended up with Voss and Steinberger in the same spot, I still think they are good for everyone.

If something goes down the helicopters will divert from their race vehicle and render aid, many of the helos have a medical type person on board.

I will say this, I have passed a few guys with a helicopter overhead and you know they are coaching...no doubt. For these guys they get more bumper than others...just like runners

If you buzz me to make dust it will get ugly and I will make you known so stay away
No, they did not open up th communication rules between ground and air support! It is still illegal. I tried to get the rule changed when we were reviewing the latest Rule Book before printing and even submited a written change with the first draft review. My feeling is everyone with air support is using it to their advantage, so open it up. SCORE felt different and did not change the rule.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I think there are two really good reasons for helicopters....

1) In case of an emergency and yes I am sure if you do not have one someone with one would help.....

2) To get great video footage like this :D

Last edited by a moderator:

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
HA HA HA Jokes on me

I thought Nunley was stuck at the bottom of the ravine...if I had a helo I would have known it was just right there and I would have never gone around

I am soooooo pissed right now after watching the Norman footage I can't even believe what an unfair advantage the helo was....I tried to follow Larry but git tangled up following Pfleuger and other.....

Last edited:

Steve0

Reaction
If the race vehicle breaks with no chance in fixing it, it is their ride home while their crew retrieves the vehicle.