Why don't people use uniballs on both ends of the trailing arm?

Supertoys-Adventures

Reaction
It seems like always the forward end of the trailing arm/link is a bushing and the rear of the arm has a uniball/spherical rod end/heim joint (whatever you like to call it)

Why not have rod ends at both ends?

Last edited:

scottm

Reaction
Actually many trucks, including mine, do use heims at both ends. Most of the trucks I have seen with bushings in the front also have the shocks mounted to the arm above the centerline between the joints. If they had bearings at each end, the arm would try to flip over, likely bending the shock shafts. Arms with double bearings need to have the shocks mounted below the centerline, which keeps the arm in place, like a person standing up in a canue. This usually requires a more elaborate and therefore more expensive arm design.

Wild bill

Reaction
The only reason for a heim on a trailing arm is to allow adjustment to the wheel base. You only need one heim on a trailing arm and it is best to place it at the diff. end.

brandon1026

Reaction
I was told that bushings are used more widely once they can adsorb the force better where as a uniball will kind of transfer it into the frame pivot box.

Captain Air Time

Reaction
a metal on metal bearing transfers a lot of vibration and harshness to the chassis that the isolation of the bushing eliminates.

Mcarlson1

Reaction
Another way to use uniballs on both ends is an anti wobble on one end and a regular uniball on the other so that way no matter where you mount your shocks on the trailing arms they wont rotate. Bushing are also a cost effective way as well.

Thanks
Mike