On Topic Why dual batteries in an off-road truck?

SuperDirtTrucks

RDC Crypto
I've been trying to research this myself and haven't found an answer yet. I'm thinking about a short-course off-road truck, but I'd even like to know why a baja truck would have 2 batteries

So far I've learned that a dual battery setup is great if you have an accessory like a winch and so in that case you'd probably have a battery isolator wired in the mix. I've also learned that a dual battery setup is used for something as common as a diesel truck to simply give more cranking amps.

I could guess that a baja truck would have dual batteries either for some on board accessories or more reliability, but I can never find anyone talking about batteries at all in youtube vids.

Now lets take a short-course truck like one from Lucas Oil Off-Road or even more specifically, a Stadium Super Truck. Why does a stadium truck have 2 batteries? They don't have a bunch of on board accessories, don't run long, and only run in warm climates. Why 2 batteries?

The reason I'm asking is because I am making my own indie stadium off-road racing game and my trucks are heavily detailed for completions sake. For example, I have a thermostat housing on the water pump, which has nicely built in brackets for the A/C compressor and alternator. The alternator has heavy duty stator coils as if it's a high-amp premium accessory. I have a fuel supply line that goes to injector rails including a fuel pressure regulator in the mix, and a return line going to the fuel cell's in-tank pump. All lines and hoses are connected and routed exactly where they would go. Etc etc etc. You get the idea.

I placed my batteries in the back like SST. I've looked at many sensible wiring diagrams, but they mean nothing until I know why a stadium truck or other short-course truck has dual batteries.

Private-Creation_35.jpg

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
Some Fuel injection needs a lot of fuel pressure, any low voltage will prevent this. Ie direct injected ecotecs. So 2 batteries gives you insurance.

HartLessPerf

RDC Crypto
As mentioned, redundancy. We have 2 in our system set to keep charge, but typically only run off the primary. We leave the secondary as a backup in case of critical battery or alternator failure, or we need the extra juice for winching (Ultra4 car in our case). Modern engines with modern control systems don't run real well without power!

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto