Why is TORC so hyped up on going to nascar tracks ?

sb4pro

Reaction
Just saw the new schedule for TORC , why are they so insistent on going to nascar tracks ? Every time so far that they’ve gone to nascar country it’s been a flop ( Texas , Charlotte , Chicago ) . Yeah I’m sure lots will say the usual thing of money yadda yadda yadda , but what’s the point of going somewhere 1-2 years then it’s off the schedule again . If you’re trying to get new markets open how bout going to places that at least have a bit of a following . What happened to Red Bud ? That was a good track , or for that matter why not come back to Unadilla NY ( or any other outdoor MX track . ) Nascar has their own niche of fans and most could give a damn about any other motorsports but that . Sorry if I’m going on a rant but I just want to see what not only do us fans think but also how bout the drivers . Especially the sportsman guys , I know Charlotte and Talladega is gonna be one hell of a haul for you guys ( if they’re even having sportsman classes at those tracks ) . Eager to see what you all think and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE .
F208DB35-AF50-43D3-AA89-B83C4759BF2E.jpeg

Chris Tobin

Reaction
If they run in the SE with Charlotte or Talladega in mind I would have a better chance of making it to those races as long as they don't interfere with my work events for performance diesel races and such...

sb4pro

Reaction
Southern US ? May ? Where else could it possibly be ? Plus if it’s NOT Charlotte that makes it even more of a stupid move cause then it means it’s competing with Charlotte and that’s a losing battle there too .

henry

Reaction
One thing I think that needs to happen to really develop new markets is to establish some kind of feeder series for that region.

I think regional identity helps people get attached to drivers. Sure, there are drivers from the south but there aren't too many.

It just seems that they are trying to build a house without a foundation by repeatedly going back to the south.

sb4pro

Reaction
One thing I think that needs to happen to really develop new markets is to establish some kind of feeder series for that region.

I think regional identity helps people get attached to drivers. Sure, there are drivers from the south but there aren't too many.

It just seems that they are trying to build a house without a foundation by repeatedly going back to the south.
Exactly stick to the midwestern-western markets and expand In those .

flatfoot

Reaction
I totally agree.nascar fans don't care about off road, Sturgis bikers don't care about off road.sure, you will get some lookers if it's FREE to get in.but they're not going to travel, and pay to get in to watch a race.time has proven you won't make instant/overnight fans out of them.the old red bud races were great, I went to all of them.this year honestly looked boring, i'm glad I didn't go.and st. louis? I planned to go the 1st year, booked a room, took time off, then it was cancelled the week before due to the rain/flooding. I went the next year to the swamp race, sat through the rain, but stayed til the end.then it was dropped.i live in Indiana, so the closest is red bud(about 5 hours from me).to build a fan base/following you need to build on a location and keep at it.

dbq61537

Reaction
I’m going to have to plan for Crandon...since I don’t have Chi-town, as an option. And no Red Bud?

This schedule doesn’t make much sense.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

sb4pro

Reaction
I’m going to have to plan for Crandon...since I don’t have Chi-town, as an option. And no Red Bud?

This schedule doesn’t make much sense.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert
Crandon is always worth the trip no matter how far the travel . But yes sucks Red Bud is gone , we just get back there then it’s gone again :mad:

justafan

Reaction
The same people that made the plan to save the Pro 2 class just made the call to kill the Pro 2 class.

JDDurfey

Reaction
They came to Texas Motor Speedway 2 years ago in May or the first part of June. I think the track is a little lame they use, but I would go again if they came this way. There was a pretty good turnout on Saturday night, but the stands were pretty bare on Friday.

Reaction
Isn't TMS full of flood or Dieselgate vehicles?

CYS Motorsports

Reaction
Isn't TMS full of flood or Dieselgate vehicles?

No; TMS has a bunch of the flood vehicles from the hurricanes. A bunch of TDI's are at the old Silverdome parking lot in Michigan and another large lot in Minnesota, among others.

As far as the TORC schedule, I don't care for it. 3 tracks for Sportsman is a little disappointing.

acers

Reaction
Maybe if they had more then 6 pro4s they would have more people in the stands. Watching greaves win everything gets old

JDDurfey

Reaction
The track at Texas is lame in my opinion. They did it on the dirt oval. Basically added a jump at the start line, then in turn 2 they cut down through the infield and had a jump, then a right turn back toward the beginning of the back stretch. Then the back stretch and turns 3 and 4 to the start line jump.

Not an exciting race, and yes a Greaves won both Pro 2 and Pro 4 if I recall correctly.

SST will be returning this year and I will go see it. I skipped it last year, had more important things to do as it is a 2 hour drive from me.

Joxracing

Reaction
I've been debating on making a post about this but figured it'll fall on deaf ears... but! I will reply.

Finally someone says this. It blows my f'ing mind that TORC continues to do this. They want good fan base (or should I say HAVE to have good fan base) to have a successful track, and they continue to search other regional markets for this, but they ignore one thing...

TIME.

Why do you think Crandon and Bark River have 20k+ show up at every event they throw? Because they have been there for 40+ YEARS! You keep going/building these tracks and visiting them 1-2 years and give up and pull out because 250 people show up ... the reason why no one shows up is because it was a 1 year event! Tracks take time to cultivate fan base. I'd be willing to bet if TORC would have kept the OG Red Bud track they had 5 or so years ago and never left, the fan base would have grown to something decent by now. If you are going to build a track commit to at least 5 years of going there and see what happens.

Second thing...

Quit going to the deep south and out west! The WHOLE problem with midwest short course racing is money. Midwest racers do not have the deep pockets like some/most of the west coast teams. Plus you take a P2 class that is roughly 75% Sportsman racers (AKA have a normal job that they work at 5-6 days a week and earn under 150k a year) and make them travel hundreds of miles away which takes days off of work and lots of money ... AKA they aren't going to show up unless TORC pays tow money, which they wont. So you'll end up with 5 P4's, 7 P2's and 7 PL's and no sportsman show and 200 people in the stands.

I don't think this is rocket science. Of course Im typing behind a computer screen and not in the trenches, but I race Super Stock, and have very good friends in P2 and PL so I believe I can speak with some clarity on the subject.

Stay in the midwest. Find two more tracks in the midwest area (Ex: Red Bud and Chicago) and stay there for 5 years. Bring the good, plentiful Sportsman racers to every show (Ex: 1600 cars, Super Buggy, Super Stock) and develop a good docu-drama series on youtube and watch the sport grow in the midwest.

sb4pro

Reaction
Jox couldn’t agree with you more . Look at how great Crandon is , not only is it TORC’s “ crown jewel “ track but I’d argue if TORC was gone Crandon would still survive because of the following it has . Why is that you ask because they’ve been around for 49 years ( the 50th anniversary coming up in 2019 ) . People ( or at least I do ) plan for months in advance to go to Crandon . They meet with friends and family , camp and sit in the same places , and all around enjoy the WHOLE experience . Not just the racing but everything that Crandon has become . The parade , the food , the comradely of a place where everyone is excited about the sport we all love . All of the above has come with TIME ( as you stated ) and has grown throughout those years . So please I hope the powers that be at TORC read this and take note . In order for new tracks to grow they need to be around for more than a year or so ( I like your 5 year plan suggestion ) , go to places that have a history of off-road whether it be short course or ( like Red Bud and Unadilla ) motocross and let the growth happen slowly instead of trying to rush the growth .

acers

Reaction
Jox couldn’t agree with you more . Look at how great Crandon is , not only is it TORC’s “ crown jewel “ track but I’d argue if TORC was gone Crandon would still survive because of the following it has . Why is that you ask because they’ve been around for 49 years ( the 50th anniversary coming up in 2019 ) . People ( or at least I do ) plan for months in advance to go to Crandon . They meet with friends and family , camp and sit in the same places , and all around enjoy the WHOLE experience . Not just the racing but everything that Crandon has become . The parade , the food , the comradely of a place where everyone is excited about the sport we all love . All of the above has come with TIME ( as you stated ) and has grown throughout those years . So please I hope the powers that be at TORC read this and take note . In order for new tracks to grow they need to be around for more than a year or so ( I like your 5 year plan suggestion ) , go to places that have a history of off-road whether it be short course or ( like Red Bud and Unadilla ) motocross and let the growth happen slowly instead of trying to rush the growth .
Well said

JDDurfey

Reaction
I agree with the above statements. I also think that like mentioned, if they would come to a large metropolitan area in the south, like Dallas/Ft. Worth and build a true short course track there would be interest and spectators. Especially if there was a local series held at the track for local amateurs.

There is a short course series in eastern Montana called Bump and Run. Montana Bump-N-Run Association I have driven in a couple of events and they are low budget cars, compared to true short course or desert racers, that guys build in their garages or barns. A friend loaned me his car and I had a blast. I especially enjoyed getting to "rub" on the competitors.

I have thought that since stock car racing is pretty big in North Texas, this might garner a following and some tracks could be built. They could be built in conjunction with an existing stock car track. But more importantly, a fan base could be established to then get TORQ or LORRS to come hold races in Texas.

I also understand that a true amateur racer that lives in Wisconsin cannot afford to drive all the way to Texas for a race.