• Forum membership has its advantages....

Why is TORC so hyped up on going to nascar tracks ?

acers

While I certainly cannot speak for every facility, I will share that our group at Crandon International Raceway have invested a great deal of time and resources to promote both the June and Labor Day race weekends -- not to mention creating and promoting the Crandon World Cup.

This began in earnest at the beginning of 2015, and we have seen another 10,000 fans onsite for both Saturday and Sunday of the World Championships. However, we are not resting on our laurels...more news to come out over the coming days. 2018 is going to be truly another step forward toward our 50th anniversary in 2019.
Can not wait !!!!!!!!

acers

+1 for Crandon. Radio, local news, newspapers and more in about a 75 mile radius. Heck, even my dad takes a boots-on-the-ground approach and drops off paper placemats with event details at all kinds of restaurants around the UP and northern WI as he travels throughout the season.
Green Bay and Milwaukee do not see much not that Crandon needs to.

Rennsport Group

Acers, we are working on a much more substantial campaign for June Crandon in those areas. We never lift off the gas for Labor Day, but we know the park will be maxed out in terms of camping and space in 2018 -- not that we are complaining mind you...

PDANK Racing

+1 for Crandon. Radio, local news, newspapers and more in about a 75 mile radius. Heck, even my dad takes a boots-on-the-ground approach and drops off paper placemats with event details at all kinds of restaurants around the UP and northern WI as he travels throughout the season.
I have wondered about what promotion the new tracks and/or torc does prior to the event. Do they post flyers at the track at the beginning of the season? Is there any use of free local media? i.e. TV, radio, newspaper, podcasts, etc?

sb4pro

While I certainly cannot speak for every facility, I will share that our group at Crandon International Raceway have invested a great deal of time and resources to promote both the June and Labor Day race weekends -- not to mention creating and promoting the Crandon World Cup.

This began in earnest at the beginning of 2015, and we have seen another 10,000 fans onsite for both Saturday and Sunday of the World Championships. However, we are not resting on our laurels...more news to come out over the coming days. 2018 is going to be truly another step forward toward our 50th anniversary in 2019.
Marty thanks for posting I was really hoping you would when I posted this thread . You and the group at Crandon have the right formula now if other tracks can follow suit the sport can continue to grow .

acers

Acers, we are working on a much more substantial campaign for June Crandon in those areas. We never lift off the gas for Labor Day, but we know the park will be maxed out in terms of camping and space in 2018 -- not that we are complaining mind you...
You guys do a great job at crandon and it shows. Does not get any better than labor day

alwaysracin

"They don't have people that have learned from past mistakes in the decision making roles."
They kept saying " Forget the past and look to the future" ...Well , if you forget the history and don't care about what worked and what didn't, you will not have future...Repeating mistakes and not trying what worked for years is why the numbers of racers are declining rapidly.

ltr450rider

Having races at other popular venues does make sense to try and grow the fan base and interest in this form of racing. Robby's SST races proved that this can work by running races with other events, like Indy and V8 Supercars. Running his trucks in between rounds helps keep the crowd entertained and interested. Like him or not, he knows good marketing and it has worked well for that series.

The key is proper marketing and advertising before racing at a new venue. Can't fill the stands and build interest if there is no one in the stands! This is where it sounds like TORC needs some help arranging.

With all that has been said here, I really like the idea of having the 2 series run a "Cup" race. Alternate tracks every year, Crandon one year, new Lucas Wheatland track the next. It will probably never happen, but it would be fun to watch and get lots of trucks on the track and good TV time.

JDDurfey

I don't think I ever heard a radio promo for the race at Texas Motor Speedway the last time they raced here. I do think they had a couple of radio shows do some promotion, but I don't think it was enough to get people to come out that are not fairly serious fans. I learned about the race on RDC and took my daughter, she thought it was cool. Especially because I ran into someone I had a mutual racing friend with and they were really cool and let us hang in their pit with them.

pontoontodd

I raced CORR/WSORR/TORC/MORR for over ten years and always wondered the same thing. For the sake of the TV show, which I hope is where the series makes most of their income, does it matter where the tracks are? Could they just have three rounds each at Crandon and BR? Most of the racers in that series live in northern Wisconsin, they would even complain about racing in Oshkosh. And if you're used to racing in Crandon, Bark River, and Antigo, I can't blame you. Another thing most of the people I talked to running the series didn't appreciate was how many fans were there to watch the sportsmen. I'm not saying those classes are as exciting to watch, or that the fans didn't prefer the pro races. There are a lot of spectators that show up because their cousin/co worker is racing. They wouldn't even know about the races or at least remember what weekend they're held without that reminder, not to mention having someone they know to cheer on.

At a minimum if the series insists on trying new tracks, market the races better as suggested above, but I also think they should let anyone in for free until the stands are full. We raced at Charlotte and those stands held 10,000 people. It looked pathetic with 200 people watching us. During that weekend they had the largest car show / swap meet something in the country going on with seas of RVs and car guys hanging out all weekend. No reason the stands couldn't have been full. Makes the TV show look better, introduces the sport to new people, and some of them will probably buy beer, hot dogs, and T shirts.

Finally, for those of you who go to Crandon every year but have never been to Bark River, GO TO BARK RIVER! Crandon is great but you can see the whole course at BR from the top of the stands or 80% of the course from most of the stands and I always thought the races tended to be better than Crandon for some reason, if nothing else the course is a little shorter.

handmethemic

Could they just have three rounds each at Crandon and BR?
In theory, yes, but it's hard enough to coordinate volunteers for two Crandon weekends as it is. I don't know if Bark River operates the same way.

Many of the 500+ volunteers at Crandon are already missing a day (or a whole weekend) of paid work to work for free at the track. They're an extremely devoted bunch, but three weekends is a tough sell.

pontoontodd

In theory, yes, but it's hard enough to coordinate volunteers for two Crandon weekends as it is. I don't know if Bark River operates the same way.

Many of the 500+ volunteers at Crandon are already missing a day (or a whole weekend) of paid work to work for free at the track. They're an extremely devoted bunch, but three weekends is a tough sell.
More of a general statement that they don't have to go to a bunch of different tracks all over the country to make a good TV show. Say two at Crandon, two at BR, two at ERX/Red Bud. One argument I always got from the TORC guys is that the series sponsors wanted them to race in different parts of the country to help their marketing. I always thought most of the interest from the sponsors was to put on a good TV show, so I never understood why they cared where the races were held.

acers

Lucas is doing good by racing alot of different tracks and I think torc is trying to do the same thing. If they would market better and get more pro4s it could work. Sponsors want national exposure .Torc is throwing a hell mary to save the series so lets hope it works

PDANK Racing

Bark river is also a volunteer run event, I heard that was why they switched to only running one event a year.

putorkdforbaskat

IMO its just weird that people are paying to watch Nascar and Indycars instead of Short Course Off Road Trucks. The racing is ALWAYS so much better on the dirt track... But, eh... People right? Nice chat here. Always cool to read u guys talking bout this. Here in south america theres no such thing as super trucks racing... So it amazes me to read this forum. Cheers

NicksTrix

sad thing is when it came to charlotte it was never advertised. hard to put people in the stands if there is no promotion. went one year, show wasn't bad at all and fair ticket price.