• Forum membership has its advantages....

Why isn’t there off road racing in…

Mike321

I just got back from a cross country trip road trip. Why isn’t there a long distance off road race in Wyoming or North-Eastern Nevada? (I’ve never seen so many UTVs in one city – Elko, Nevada.)

Both are beautiful parts of the USA and wide open.

Has there ever been a long distance off road race in these areas?

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Long tow, lack of sponsorship and accommodations.

bin04

BOR just did a race in Jackpot NV, unfortunately with a fairly low turnout. Those guys are doing a GREAT job of getting things going- the race in northeastern utah was a hoot, and well attended by us Colorado folks given the close proximity.

I think Ol' C is right- NE Nevada is a long tow for the southwestern folks, and a long tow from any place east. If I am dragging the buggy that far, may as well go to a bigger race with...more racers/more sponsorship/accommodations. A nasty catch-22...can't get a big race going without racers, and get racers without a big race.

Would love to see more in Wyoming- pretty country, but less public land, few racers, and a SUPER long drive for the Southwesties. Lotta potential there for UTV growth, though. WY is well suited for 'em and they sell a bunch.

I *think* they did some stuff in central WY at some point waaay north of Rock Springs, but i don't know the current status.

QurtysLyn

We usually race in Wendover, UT/NV every year, sometimes twice recently. But some issues with the BLM stopped that race for a while. We're working on getting it back for next year. As well as the aforementioned Jackpot race. We also used to race in Ely, NV, but that was difficult with that BLM district only issuing two permits with Caliente and Silver State being in the same district.

The biggest issue is no one wants to come up from Vegas/SoCal when there are so many races down there, so we just have to grow it locally. Which took a downturn when the economy tanked.

There are only a handful of us running BOR, so we can't tackle everything as well as we'd like.

51rcr

Being from and traveling through all of it all the time I always wonder why also. The same with Texas with there big ranches. Just a few linked could make a long point to point to point race. Since these areas all have real big ranches. With all reservations too there's options. The red desert in Wyoming would be a great place. Oregon and Washington have some great stuff also. I don't think they ever had a big race either back in the day.
There's been and still is smaller races. But never a big one or big point to point.

firedog

Grand Junction, CO. There used to be a race there, I'm sure Wicked Gravity Doug can chime in with some info. There is an off-road area north of I-70 that runs from Grand Junction to the UT border. People willing to host a race and have it start/finish on private land and then run BLM land, they just need a racing organization to step up and put it on. The area is roughly 35 miles long by 7 miles wide so I'm sure a 100+ mile loop could be possible.

B1rd

Pemitting the BLM would take time dedication and dollars not to mention the delays and setbacks that will be encountered. It would take a very dedicated individual to get it done.

WickedGravityVideo

I think there is very little opposition to 2 and 4 wheel racing in the north Grand Junction desert. The race that Firedog refers to is the Colorado West 300. It was big and exciting - I spectated as a teenager, but do not know much about the organizers or why it faded. The BLM office is right next to the desert and these guys will talk to you and encourage organized activities.
The owners of the local outdoor shifter kart track, also located in the North GJ Desert, have talked about cooperating to bring a dez race, perhaps a shorter circuit, to the region. www.GJMotorSpeedway.com

I believe there is a critical core group of enthusiasts and go-getters with the necessary resources to make an off road race happen here. We have Fireguys Racing, Roberts Racing, Murrell Motorsports, Sims Motorsports, Driven Experiences, Reid Rutherford with Fines Double Racing, and a few whose names elude me right now (the guy with the Mason TT spec). We also have BOR Racing Organization next door in Utah. For a small group, they do quite well at putting on races in Utah. I believe these guys would be willing to help promote a bigger Grand Junction-based race.

If we could get some of the Colorado Western Slope ski resort (Telluride, Vail, Aspen, Beaver Creek) money involved in promoting a dez race, that would be big time.

FYI: Grand Junction is only 7 hours from Las Vegas, all 4-lane interstate. 80mph!

Cadillac Ranch  Original Photo.jpg

Dezertpilot

Does anyone like the idea of a race near Mammoth Lakes or Bishop, CA ??
Everytime I drive up the 395 to go to June Lake to fish I always think that their could be some awesome racing up their. Starting in Ridgecrest and go right along the side of the Sierras. I'm sure the small towns would love it!

LAPoliceGear.com

Everytime I drive up the 395 to go to June Lake to fish I always think that their could be some awesome racing up their. Starting in Ridgecrest and go right along the side of the Sierras. I'm sure the small towns would love it!
We would need to stay on BLM land. There are chunks of it all over the place. The tree huggers up this way would put up a fight but if we ran it over by the CA/NV boarder area it might have a chance since there is hardly ever anyone out that way.

Mammoth Lakes would be a great place to stay and party. Lots of rooms, bars, hotels, bars, restaurants, mountain biking blah blah blah.

I guess SNORE or MORE would need to help out with it to make it happen since they know how to deal with Gov agencies on this.

kyle_pc_75

We also have BOR Racing Organization next door in Utah. For a small group, they do quite well at putting on races in Utah. I believe these guys would be willing to help promote a bigger Grand Junction-based race.
View attachment 171081
You got that right. Can anyone point to the actual land we'd be racing on, old course maps, anything? I can get land ownership information from the State and/or BLM and start working on it.

Curtis is correct, too. We are working on returning to the Utah AND Nevada sides of Wendover, the west desert between Salt Lake and Wendover, and the BLM is entertaining the idea. We'll definitely be back to Jackpot next year, the VORRA guys loved the race and have said they'll bring more with them next July. By the way, I know some of you must still have old course maps of these areas, too. Please send those my way.

I never expect racing up here to be as big as California, Mexico, Vegas, but it also makes the races easier to manage and they have a more family feel to them in my opinion, but maybe that's just cause this is who I started off racing with and I know everyone, and don't get down south very often except for Primm and the Mint, two huge events.

N8ball

Oh man I hope things go good for the Wendover race. It is right in our back yard and we have some pretty sweet courses out there.

kyle_pc_75

Things are looking very positive for coming back to Wendover, NV/UT and Delle, UT. Delle will be fun as hell if we can make it happen.