why it sucks to be me

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
Im going to try make this as brief as possible.

wed night-----leave san diego towards san felipe, arrive at approx 3:00am, sleep till 7am between trailer and race car.
thurs----------pre-run start to check one, arrive at check one to find out friends truck has had an oopsie with the trailer it was towing. Look at hands to find juicy blisters.
friday---------setup in-board camera on 559, recording deck nowhere to be found. Realize it was accross town inside other friends race car.
saturday-----go to staging, find out i left video camera back at condo, run back to get it. Make it to visual 1 with 1 minute to spare (we where main chase). Things look good as we move into the lead (time) then header breaks, weld header at morelia jct. Supertrap explodes off 10 miles later. Finally after the driver change, before check one on second lap engine throws a rod, race is now over for 559.
Tow back to condo, shower and start to party. On the way to rockodile get picked up by local law enforcement for drinking 50 steps away from the strip. Spend an hour in jail to fill out paperwork, released with a slap on the hands. Back to condo to get more beer then head back to rockodile through beach. Find friend who just got into fight, hes ok and goes to change clothes. Change mind about going into the club so we just drink and party outside the club.
Get back to condo at approx. 2:30am, my friend is already asleep in the master bedroom with his wife and their 3 yr old.
Im sleeping in the living room on the couch. As i start to lay down, some guy jumps from out of the balcony and into the room pointing a gun at me. He cocks it and tells me to turn around, he proceeds to tie me up with duct tape and also wraps duct tape around my eyes, he then throws me to the couch and hits me in the back telling me to stfu. he takes my wallet and my videocamera *cry* and then goes into my friends room and takes their money and car keys while they sleep.
He comes back out and tries to make scary comments, he then tells me he made out good and to count slowly to 100 and hes gone, i get to 20 and snap the tape off, almost tear my brows off and run to the balcony, hes no where in sight, i locked the door and then ran to wake my friend up. we ran to the truck but it was still there and i find some other friends outside in the condo next door, they tell me they saw a car drive off but w\erent paying attention, the guy made off, we went to cops but that was a worst waste of time than with the beer incident.
Anyways, no one was hurt, except maybe my pride. they made off with all of our cash (about 400 $$) and my dvcam *cry* which had priceless video of klaus blowing chunks.

.......what goes around...

that is all, thank you for your time

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Sorry to hear that Victor..... Unfortunately that tops me and my friend getting our ice chests with all of our food ripped off while we were at contingency in SF two years ago. I am definitely glad you are alive to tell the story.

Not sure if you saw the guy, but from his voice do you think he was a local or someone from the US there for the race?

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
he was def a local. my uncle, who was staying next door, jumped in his truck and followed a car that was driving by rather suspisciouly. After he followed him to a house, he went and got the cops, and their response after describing the car was "oh thats so and so, hes a manager for a local store and has no need to be doing those things so it cant be him".
Before we left, some american lady who lives in the same block and whose house had been broken into a few days back, came over and she described the same car, a small red 4 door with tinted windows and a loud(ish) exhaust.

oh and btw, before we left, i jumped in the shower and when i was taking my shoes off noticed a big ass scorpion playing dead (it was alive) about 2 feet from me. what a weekend.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
That is why we love Mexico so much :) I can tell you about so many surf trips that were so bad, but there are also so many that were so great!

THNKPNK

OG Offroad Chick
Reaction
EXACTLY Jordan!!! Why go to another country to have people jack ya when you can just go to Barstow?

<font color=orange>CU OFRD
Ah...so many pedestrains, so little time </font color=orange>

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Everyone needs to remember that it doesn't only happen in Baja. Just a couple of weeks ago my girlfriends mom was in a bank and two masked guys stormed in waving their guns around and robbed the place. Luckily no one was hurt. Just read the paper or watch the news, we have low life people in our country as well....

Other than having our ice chests ripped off once I have had over 6 years of great trips to Baja. We usually travel in groups of 10-20 or even more for the big races. Just do your best to travel safe. Unfortunately that happened to Victor in SF, but it could happen here as well.

Jordan

Reaction
JDFab,

While you are correct you have to realize the percentage for something BAD to happen in MX is much greater than here in the states. Sure there are more people here and twice the amount of crime but thats only because of the size. Crime versus Population MX takes the cake! The people down there dont give a crap about you so if you have something they want they are gonna take it. They also arent afraid of the Law down there. This is why I can accept missing the MX races.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The people down there dont give a crap about you so if you have something they want they are gonna take it.

<hr></blockquote>

as opposed to the people that rob you here that DO care?

all im saying is that this can happen anywhere at anytime.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Damn Victor, I thought towing 700 miles just to break at rm 12 sucked.

Glad your OK.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I kind of see your point, especially since I am one of the people that have been robbed down there. But just as Victor just posted, people that rob you up here don't give a crap about you or the law either. I just feel like every time something happens down there its brought up allot more than things that happen here. Mostly from people trying to justify their reasons for not going to Baja. And don't get me wrong at all, I admit I was affraid to go down there my first time but after that trip I was hooked and hate to miss any races like the SF 250 I missed this March.
If someone doesn't want to go there that is fine, I respect that. Those of us that do choose to go just need to try and be safe and realize that you can't always prevent something happening, just as Victor experienced.

martininsocal

Reaction
Hers a question...As I was sitting here reading this, I though about the complexity, teh averages, etc...I go to Mex, I go here. I have been robbed here and there, so I thought...How many times have I been robbed here and how many times in Mex? Here is my tally:
Stereo stollen out of car twice here, once captured bad guys...turned out to be illegals down the street(North County San Diego) Stuff stolen out of garage-Twice, some recovered by wife who watched the 4 year old kid take bike from garage and wheel it home. She followed, knocked on the door, said give me my kids stuff back, they claimed to not speak english, then she saw the kids skates and wading pool that had been taken earlier. Got that stuff back. That is it for here in the states for 37 years.
Been robbed in Mex 3 times. Never lived there, twice on the street, once in camp. Never much, a few bucks or some baggage. Been "Mordida'd" by the cops twice. So I don't know which is worse, the thugs of the cops. I guess the averages say Mex is more likely to be tha place you get hit, but look at the tourists who go to South florida...Tourists are just easier targets for bad guys.

If your gonna go, go BIG

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Tourists were getting robbed so much in Florida that the State government implemented a program where they put "Suns" on the off-ramps if the places was okay to get off on. If they didn't have them, then people weren't suppose to get off.

I would argue that Baja isn't a whole lot worse then the U.S. The difference I believe is that you feel a whole lot more protected in the United States than you do in Baja. If something happens, you can turn to the police, however in Baja, the police might not do anything and in some cases, are the very ones who are ripping you off.

The bottom line is that you are going to get ripped off no matter where you live. I feel that Baja is much to beautiful and enjoyable to stop visiting for fear of getting ripped off.

Most wars are the result of compounded stupidity and those who believe it

Tim_Price

Reaction
I just got an email from the folks who own the Shangri-La condos where the stick-up occured: "We are in shock. We have lived here 14 years and never had any problem. This is some guy that has been robbing the beach front houses the past three weeks. The police are now patroling our area each night, I understand they have his description and the color of the car he is driving and hopefully they will catch him soon! Meanwhile, the whole neighborhood is up in arms and on the police to do something right away. I have people in the apts now and all is well with them. No problem. I was up until 4AM this morning patroling the upper deck flashlight and phone in hand in case he came back. We will catch this guy. We figured out how he got into our apts and it was by climbing onto the gates that secure the swimming pool area so we removed the gates. Now he has nothing to climb on to get up there."

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
thats great! and so are the owners of the condos. I never meant to put any blame on them. As a matter of fact, after their welcome they told us to lock our valuables and informed us about the past robberies (none armed, until mine).
But as it was pointed out earlier, i doubt the cops will do anything at all. After we looked at all the facts we came to the conclusion that it might even be an "inside job". Either way, ill be back in San Felipe in December for the last CODE race of the season.

I would say "be safe" but that can only go so far. Anyways, I just cracked open the last pacifico left over from the trip, ummmmm goood.

Jordan

Reaction
I am speaking in percentages and experiences. I would rather pass on MX and take my chances in the United States of America.

Ahles

Reaction
Sorry about your tough weekend. At least your OK, just look at this story from today's San Diego paper someone got stabbed for not giving up firewood at Mission Beach.

UNION-TRIBUNE
April 13, 2003

MISSION BEACH – A 25-year-old Chula Vista man was stabbed in the stomach and shoulder while attending a beach bonfire with friends early yesterday, police said.

The victim and his friends were confronted by a group of men near Bonita Cove at Mission Beach about 12:30 a.m., San Diego police said.

Witnesses told police two men asked the victim's friends for firewood. They became angry when told there was no more wood, and one of the men pulled out a knife.

The victim was hospitalized. His wounds were not life-threatening, police said.

Police said the victim did not know his attacker.

martininsocal

Reaction
Where you stay has a big difference in vulnerability too. We stay at Petes because Rafael takes care of the folks there. I am not saying there are other places that don't care for their clientele, but I am happy with Pete's. I have never had a problem in SF, Mine have all occured in Ensenada and TJ, and I don't even stop to shop in TJ, just pass through.

If your gonna go, go BIG

DesertCreations

Reaction
If all you have to say is bad things about Mexico then you have probably never been their and just listen to the bad things people have to say or you are going with the wrong people. I love going to Mexico races I look foward to them every year. San Felipe is the best and like Martin said stay at Pete's it's not a hktel butit is bitchen camping and pretty damn safe.