Why no Mid engines?

Ranger Danger

Sorry guys if we have a past thread about this topic although i would really like to know the reasoning behind this. Why we dont see as many mid engine buggys compared to rear engines? Any reasoning behind this? Thanks

Rory

Crayola Killer
Seems like only a couple teams have it figured out, the rest seem to struggle with the mid engine. Schwartz (German Auto), Dean & BJ Baldwin (LVDC) work the best in the unlimiteds. I think mid engine class 10 cars work pretty good. My .02.

Random Thoughts Racing

There is no "monkey see, monkey do" formula for mid engine like there is for rear engine.

Mid engine usually = light weight, which makes the suspension tuning a big time investment for the desert. Projects that go mid engine tend to be 1 off and many times include additional "novel innovations" that, if they dont pan out drag the project down. Without good initial design and/or many years of development these projects tend to fizzle out or get converted to rear engine.

Chris_Wilson

Everything's a trade off. If you concentrate the mass toward the center of the car then it should, in theory, change directions quicker and be better at rally type terrain and twisty technical sections. But it will also change direction easier in the pitch direction (up and down) and be less stable in big whoops and less stable in fast rough terrain.

Ultimately, I believe a fully independent suspended mid-engine vehicle will be the fastest, best handling desert setup. But not yet, still looking for 45+ degree CV's, driver adjustable variable springs and dampening, etc., etc.

Ranger Danger

Ok so its just a bigger project lots more money and time although it could work out to be a fast car. Awesome thanks and i have to say John Markings old jimco was by far the most ba buggy ever.

KitRacer

Everything's a trade off. If you concentrate the mass toward the center of the car then it should, in theory, change directions quicker and be better at rally type terrain and twisty technical sections. But it will also change direction easier in the pitch direction (up and down) and be less stable in big whoops and less stable in fast rough terrain.
I think Chris said it best.
Geek out on this term
Polar Moment Of Inertia

goldslaugr

After watching a lot of cars work yes it should corner better because all of the weight is in the middle but I don't know about the way they handle. I don't think Robby's trophy truck works all the great. Castro's class 1 jimco I didn't think worked all that great till they stuffed 2 spares off the back adding weight thus allowing it to carry the nose. I don't know all that much about this subject but that's my .02.

I love watching cars work through the high speed rough and I always try to pay attention to how they work and what kind of cars they are.

Froghorn

I might have a Class 1 mid engine that is almost complete. The car is being built by Eric Stewart and Bill Gasper formerly of Porter Race Cars, now ES Motorsports. The car will be an updated version of the mid engine Croll cars, except with a Kroyer motor and two vertical spares and a few other new details. The car will be finished in two weeks and might be for sale...

LukeMcMillin

2001 Baja 500 o/a was a Mid engine.....Mark McMillin :D

JD Durfey

I seem to remember that the MacPherson (SP?) Trophy Truck was a mid engine 4 wheel independent suspended truck.

Dezertpilot

Ask Grove Lumber Racing how they like their mid-engine car.

fullthrottle

I have a new Full Potential F1-Lite which is a mid-engine 2.4L Ecotec built for the Desert Lites Class 3000 and it handles and flys great. We just took first place in the Trophylite class at the ORAF 500. Full Potential has figured out the mid-engine with the Superlites with the Mazda rotary engines, the 103" wheelbase F1-Lites with the Ecotec, and now they are finishing up two cars for Dakar that are 110" wheelbase Ecotec's that would also be perfect for the new Score Class 4.:)

GAME OVER?

Almost There
And also don't forget that B.J. Richardson won the SCORE 2008 Overall and Class 1 champion in a mid engine........

I believe there were 2 mid engines in the top 3 in points last year. Its just a matter of time before we work out all the bugs. Like someone already said, rear engine is a cookie cutter deal with a ton of cars to look at. There are not many mid engines to copy so people dont want to put in the effort to make the car work.

SteveS

I have a mid engine car. i am still working on shock set up for desert and short course ,its close. the car tends to nose over a bit but if you get use to it its no biggie. i think the thing out handles anything in the winding washes and tight stuff. it looses a little in stutter bumps . all in all the thing works great . just waite it will come back into style monkey see monkey do