Why no new Truggy's???

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Everybody seems to agree that the Land Shark is the most successful Class 1 in modern history. So why are there not more truggy's vying for wins in Class 1 or better yet overall, 4 wheel victories? Seems like, if it is the best formula...build one...but yet everyone seems to go the transaxle route. Wad up wit dat? Cost? Mike Smith? Why not just build a trophy truck? LR?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
If you are gonna spend the time and $$ to build a truggy, you might as well put a TT body on it. Easier to get sponsors. Better start positions.

The class 1 buggies with the TT body trend is really the same deal. A buggy is cheaper to built than a TT. If you put a body on it you get more attention (sponsor ops) and you get to start ahead of all the other buggies.

CHROMOLY77

Reaction
If you are gonna spend the time and $$ to build a truggy, you might as well put a TT body on it. Easier to get sponsors. Better start positions.

The class 1 buggies with the TT body trend is really the same deal. A buggy is cheaper to built than a TT. If you put a body on it you get more attention (sponsor ops) and you get to start ahead of all the other buggies.
Well i agree and disagree because most of the best class 1 are almost in the same price range then any other TT and when it comes to starting positions look at TROY and LARRY they just pass everyone.

wrightracing.net

Reaction
Well this is a hard one. Now days most buggy's are running big V8s so the transaxles are super pricey, upwards of $10,000 or more so the argument buggies are cheaper is kind of a wash. The truggy I think would be cheaper on the transmission. Calhan can build a good turbo 400 for around $5000 or less but then you still need a rear axle so another 5 or 6k so like I said a wash on cost.

I want to build a truggy in the next couple of years after my current projects are done.

gbs89

Reaction
I think that you should just ether buy a tt or a buggy and not spend all the time and money,But also you could build 2 truggies if you bought 1 tt and 1 buggy all you have to do is pull them apart and on one put a tt front on it and put a buggy rear end,and on the other you put the buggys front end on it and put the tt`s rear end on and their you have it.

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
....i think there will only ever be one "truggy" , just like there will only be one "Iron man" or one Walker Evans. although there are MANY great drivers "like them" NOBODY would ever be able to match what they have done for the sport.

... the truggy is more than just a TT without a body, the land shark has a sole. it reminds me of a police dog, when it's owner puts on the uniform the k-9 knows it's time for business........ same applies to the truggy, when LR or any of the Herbst boys suit up and strap in........ the truggy knows it's time for business

Uncle_Bob

Reaction
Watch out for the new Dunn-Tech Truggy to debut at the MORE ORAF 500 next weekend.

28" in the front and 32" in the rear, 6 liter, 2 speed and the wet weight is 3800.

Sean starts 2nd off the line.

Mongo loves hammer

Reaction
If there was ever an iconic desert race car is is Truggy. Truggy was a game changer for class one. When I stand back and look at the chassis it almost looks primitive compared to the TT we are building. Truggy really does have a soul, and she is powered by the hearts,minds and souls of so many who have worked so hard to to keep her at the front of the grid. There will only ever be one Land Shark. It will be hard to imagine parking Her for good.

la2baja

Familia
Reaction
Average price tag for a class 1 is 160k to 220k. Average price for a TT 250k and up as high as you choose to spend. A lot of the TTs that hit the dirt new start at 350k. There is a huge difference in starting price. Parts for a TT are more expensive as well. They simply eat them up faster. Trannys and engines require complete attention after each race. Transaxles and engines in buggies go a lot longer without full rebuilds.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Well i agree and disagree because most of the best class 1 are almost in the same price range then any other TT and when it comes to starting positions look at TROY and LARRY they just pass everyone.
not even close these days....

Lance

Reaction
Racer Engineering is building a new Kroyer powered truggy. Lots of cool stuff should be the 2009 Shark killer.

JD Durfey

Reaction
I am a Truggy fan. We raced the 07 1000 in the Hooters sponsored truggy. We have had a lack of funds after blowing up the motor in that race. Hopefully later this year we will be back in business and you will see another truggy out there.

CaptinCrash

Reaction
quite lance don't talk about my car thats right ever one its mine !!!!

scary fast hummer

Reaction
... the truggy is more than just a TT without a body, the land shark has a sole.

Yep, it has four soles, one under each baja TA! It certainly has a "soul" though:D

Fourstroker

Reaction
quite lance don't talk about my car thats right ever one its mine !!!!
So you are finally breaking down and building a live axle truggy?

J/K

CaptinCrash

Reaction
yep but im putting a body on it and going to use it as a prerunner for my new IRS truggy

gasit2win

Reaction
Well this is a hard one. Now days most buggy's are running big V8s so the transaxles are super pricey, upwards of $10,000 or more so the argument buggies are cheaper is kind of a wash. The truggy I think would be cheaper on the transmission. Calhan can build a good turbo 400 for around $5000 or less but then you still need a rear axle so another 5 or 6k so like I said a wash on cost.

I want to build a truggy in the next couple of years after my current projects are done.
you might want to check you numbers rear end hub to hub 25,000 transaxle 19 to 23 grand good turbo 400 9 to 10 grand prep for tt compared to buggy double.

B-Dub 1020

Reaction
Where did the $10,000 for a good tranaxle come from.If you can get a fortin or albins 5 or 6 speed sequential for that let me know I'm in. Try $20,000 or more

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I have heard a bunch of rumors about the transmission in the Land Shark....I thought it was a total one off custom build jobber that cost well over 30K..........

I think a good TT transmission is about 12K new and rebuilds south of 9K.........

I am only going on hearsay and rumors though so you know it's the same old deal with me....I might be COMPLETELY wrong!

I don't get running a truggy in class 1..........You're either are a Buggy Dork or a Country Clubber.....I have NO idea what to make of a conglomeration...........DORK CLUBBER??????

Just messing with all you truggy owners cause I'm jealous!

But seriously who wants to drag around a big old pumpkin smashing it into rocks and trying to get it to plow through big old silt beds with out sticking into the silt like a rat stuck on those glue pad trap thingies that I see in the back rooms of all my favorite restaurants....

Trucks with live axles are for towing IRS cars to the races......BUGGY DORK!!!!!!!!!!

Lance

Reaction
we compared prices on all the running gear and upkeep when we built our class 1 car compared to a truck and its cheaper to do a transaxle but not too muck initially only a couple grand. maintaining a live axle and transmission is more than it is with your fortin or albins