Why not turbo?

green787

Reaction
Can turbos not last on unlimited vehicles?
I believe they were disallowed because the exhaust pipes glowed red hot and could start a brush fire..... Thats how I remember it....

MAC56

Reaction
Straight from Mickey, he felt that it would lead to out of control costs and speeds. Little did he know what would happen anyway. Wait he had powerful NA V8 motors, giant shocks, straight axle rear ends he knew a long time ago what would work. Another hall of famer and mentor of mine, Scott McKenzie predicted that a proper 4wd race car would dominate. We walk in the footsteps of some very smart people.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
Can turbos not last on unlimited vehicles?
Danzio built a TTTT and ran it successfully for a couple seasons at select races made it on the podium a couple times and also had at least on win I believe at the Bluewater race in Parker.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
Also to SCORE doesn't allow Turbo's in the "unlimted" TT class (unless you have a lot of $$$ and are fielding a multi car team) they are legal in BITD.

stephenrjking

Reaction
I believe they were disallowed because the exhaust pipes glowed red hot and could start a brush fire..... Thats how I remember it....
Score's rulebook reads:

CR 32 FORCED INDUCTION
Forced induction is allowed for all gasoline and diesel engines. (Effective 1/1/2019)
No restriction on turbo size or manufacture.
No restriction on air intake size.

I have no information on previous editions of the rules.

My guess on why it's not widespread? Most racing engines that are built with turbos are developed with limited displacements in mind. There's more, easier power available quicker from just upgrading existing NA designs. We know that the Herbst guys are sourcing high-power stuff from NASCAR teams, and that seems like it's a pretty easy development compared to designing a brand-new turbo system that can withstand the kind of pressure a high-CID engine that is battered around the desert for 800-1100 miles. Just my guess, though.

Didn't VW run a version of Audi's Le Mans Turbodiesel a decade or so ago?

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
When BITD was married with FORD they created a class specifically for the ECO boost. Ford came in and gave 11 teams motors for free and BITD created the 2400 class. Unfortunately most teams took the motor and never ran a race and the class never got off the ground, but we had a great 2 years with the 2.0. We went from mid pack 10 car team to a front runner with an OLD less competitive home built car. we even overalled the AM race of The Mint in 2016.
There's still 2 of the old cars that show up to a few races a year. Things went to poop when Ford discontinued the 2.0 and "upgraded" us the 2.3, we tried everything we could, but could not keep that poor motor to last more then 150 miles. however Rhys Millen has figured it out with his AWD Jackal.
Long story short, we are believers in a lighter faster Turbo car, but it really has to be dialed in and reliable, We built are new car around stock LS3 has it' proven and easy to work on. A turbo car your adding one more element to your program that is able to take out of any race.

Slippery P

Reaction
The Danzio Twin Turbo Trophy Truck engine is a very very powerful yet reliable package, it more than proved its self while Josh ran it. It really is what these new era 4wd truck need. If a couple top teams chose to go down that road, the Big block craze would vanish much like the SBC 8 stack has over the last 2 years.

Bricoop

Reaction
The Danzio Twin Turbo Trophy Truck engine is a very very powerful yet reliable package, it more than proved its self while Josh ran it. It really is what these new era 4wd truck need. If a couple top teams chose to go down that road, the Big block craze would vanish much like the SBC 8 stack has over the last 2 years.
What block does the TTTT use?

E.Hagle

Reaction
I’m sure the engine techs have their reasons for running big displacement over a smaller turbo’d motor but I have never really heard a good reason why. It seems to me that you could shave some weight and package a smaller motor tighter into a chassis especially when you’re talking mid engine setups or class 1 style.

trailready

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Not unlimited but There's several ecoboost trucks running now in 7200 aren't there? I rode with Randy Merritt on the 2010 Baja Ecoboost torture team and I thought that drivetrain was awesome for Baja.

Slippery P

Reaction
What block does the TTTT use?
It had 2 engines that were cycled, one was a Brodix aluminum SBC the other was a Dart aluminum SBC. These were standard bore space blocks. We have since updated the package to the spread bore Brodix aluminum SBC block in order to run a better head and increase the bore size. It’s a bullet proof package put 950hp to the tire at 10lbs of boost engine would go 2000-2500 miles then get refreshed.

Last edited:

J Prich

Reaction
Where is that truck these days?

Slippery P

Reaction
Where is that truck these days?
Bobby Pecoy now owns it and races with Cameron and the DA. Under the #14 It now has one of our big block packages in it.