Why not turbo?

Slippery P

Reaction
I think I should elaborate a bit for you @Bricoop, not to say that we wouldn’t compound different size turbo’s. Just that our customer base doesn’t necessarily require that type of set up. An inline 6 benefits from a set up like that and packaging is easy, 3 cylinders spin the smaller turbo compounded into the larger turbo which the other 3 cylinders spin.

We typically try to build an engine package to suit the use of the vehicle. Example is we have 3 different Twin Turbo sand car engine packages guys who like to actually dune and want a snappy no lag responsive engine typically don’t want or need 2000 HP so we build and smaller CID engine with smaller turbos makes 1000-1200HP very responsive. Then there are the guys who have a purpose built car just for the drags to go in a straight line, 2200 HP little bit of lag but doesn’t matter and we can tune most of it out with the ECU controls I mentioned in a previous post. We also offer an in between 1700HP engine package that can do both with multiple switch on the fly boost settings 14lbs on up to 30lbs, turn it down and go duning, turn it up and go to the drags.

If the engine is engineered properly and turbos are chosen accordingly you can end up with a very powerful, responsive, and reliable engine package.

MTPyle

Reaction
There are a lot of disadvantages to a supercharger versus a twin turbo set up. Really the only advantage is like you stated instant power, no lag, they make a lot of torque right out of the gate. That being said the heat soak is horrible, they are driven off the crank, so you are using power to make power. The belt is another issue, in our environment they eat belts (think a race like the mint where you are plowing gravel in the big holes) those rocks would be going right into the belt. Then there is the issue of belt slip due to the load from the blower. Also in the upper RPM levels they become a massive intake restriction and the engine lays over, unless of course to avoid that you install a massive blower which then There goes your packaging. The lag everyone refers to with turbos, and main ignorant excuse for a disadvantage argument, is a thing of the past with the advancement in Motorsports electronics.

the belt could be a issue but it seems like people don’t have belt issues much anymore.

Turbos take power to make power. So not really any different than a SC. The SC still makes way more than it takes. The effeciancy of the new SC’s are really good

The new SC designs from Whipple are not as limited at the top end as the old design. The new intercoolers are crazy as well. A lot has changed in the last two years in SC development.

we would do a SC in a heart beat if we thought we could drive at TT levels. But we can’t hang with those guys, hell we can’t hang with the 6100 guys. LOL A 1000hp SBC with SC is easy and would be a blast.

Mike

calstyl2

Reaction
RPM ran a supercharger in their 6100 truck, I recall Robbie ran it at the Mint and did pretty well, then they switched it back to a 6100, I was sitting with Rob Mac with a bent driveshaft and Robbie did a full circle of us then kept going in the gravel pit, truck sounded really nice.

Slippery P

Reaction
RPM ran a supercharger in their 6100 truck, I recall Robbie ran it at the Mint and did pretty well, then they switched it back to a 6100, I was sitting with Rob Mac with a bent driveshaft and Robbie did a full circle of us then kept going in the gravel pit, truck sounded really nice.
Yes that truck had a bone stock LT4 in it with a pulley swap and a good tune, engine was controlled by a Life Racing ECU. That truck ran pretty good and that engine took a beating and held up considerably well for stock internals.

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
Turbo lag is not necessarily a bad thing. When we first switched to turbo I was nervous about lag, but it turned out to be even better. (Specially for a buggy).
Everyone knows spinin aint winnin. The car would power out of each an every corner and would almost never spin tires because of that slight 1/2 a second lag, granted we weren't running a big monster turbo/engine. Every single start I would dominate the guy next me with an LS3.
Not to mention is was MUCH easier on Trans, CV's, Axels etc. Car put 300+ HP to the ground with no Trq converter and a S5 mendeola (10" ring and pinion) The moment we switched to LS3 that instant power made my trans EXPLODE. Kevin Mcmullen re built it and we raced Laughlin and sure enough we had all kinds of shrapnel in case after.