Why race a Trophy Truck?

Slippery P

RDC Crypto
Because a TT is desert racing duh!! didnt you watch the "This is offroad racing" video. LOL!!! (sarcasim)
Good post OP.

Advertising supports this site

ACME

RDC Crypto
Pat,

Again! Who are the pros and who shouldn't be in the class?

Do they let just anyone race: Indy, Monaco, Winter Nationals or Talladega in the top class in each motorsports discipline just because they show up with a fat enough checkbook? No issue with someone being competitive or not but I have a real concern with people lacking talent, knowledge or discipline yet being allowed to compete in a class just based on their financial capacity with no regard for competency...

TrailReady

ADVERTISER
RDC Crypto
Website
www.trbeadlocks.com
Chill.....it's just a TT. Your assumptions are off. There are several unlimited guys with tons of experience in limited classes in the back of the pack and several of the fastest guys started in unlimited. I think BITD solved any issues with the mixed TT and Class 1 qualifying. Score need to mix the unlimiteds too if they haven't. And while there's nothing like desert racing in a TT, talent and experience does matter. Carl Beal has logged thousands of racing and track miles in cars that TT money wont buy!

RedRide

RDC Crypto
It was embarrassing watching most of the the V2R qualifying. I was amazed at the lack of control some of these guys had with there million dollar rigs. One thing's for sure, the current TT class is quantity over quality.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

pdailey

Pug Dad
RDC Crypto
It was embarrassing watching most of the the V2R qualifying. I was amazed at the lack of control some of these guys had with there million dollar rigs. One thing's for sure, the current TT class is quantity over quality.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Just wait till the Baja 1000 SCORE qualifying TV show airs on national TV! Dios Mio!!

ACME

RDC Crypto
And many of us are just fine with that...

Until the one day someone's check book exceeds their talent and they make a big mess. Then they'll walk away and go engross themselves in their latest passion... but hey as long as there having a good time right?

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
RDC Crypto
Travis,

As a sports marketing guy you should know the real answer.

Anybody who has raced any other class and has dealt with the regulation and pissing matches between other racers know that it just doesn't seem to be worth all of the shenanigans.

However the bigger element in my mind is perspective. If I have the means I'm setting my sights on TT. If I have the intestinal fortitude and mental toughness, combined with right business plan, I'm setting my sights on TT knowing that it may take several years to see the goal through. If that means that I'm a back marker for a handful of races, so be it. That is the approach that the biggest teams in racing take, Hendricks come to mind. He bet the farm on a single car effort when he got started. I'm sure that the team owners back then didn't give him much of a shot and becoming a dynasty. The man had a plan... Having said all of this... We have all seen people come into the sport with the best laid plans only to sell their "investments" at huge losses 1,2&3 years later. Again, perspective!!!

The "primier" class in the sport wouldn't be "primier" class with the handful of competitors, as you say "Andy, BJ, Bryce and Rob". These guys are truly at the pinnacle of their game, but nobody wants to watch 3-6 guys running around out there. And please call out the people that you think shouldn't be in the TT class.

I'd point to the Beals out of Texas to further illustrate my point. Carl was 2nd in points going into VtoR. I doubt that at the beginning of the season people wouldn't have taken the bet that they'd be in that position. Think long term, they only get better from there!

So then are you saying that the only way to get good at TT is to race a TT? If you want to plan for the long term then plan for the long term and start off in a limited class and get some experience, it will make you a much better driver in the long run. I always respected Alan Pflueger because he had the money and the ability to jump into a TT but he started off in Pro-Truck. Same with the Scaroni's. That's not the case today, guys are just running out and buying a TT and racing TT even though they shouldn't.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
RDC Crypto
I couldn't disagree more. The fact that if you can foot the bill, you can line up next to RG and BJ is what is so appealing about desert racing (to me at least). Smart teams (the McMillins come to mind) groom drivers in 1600 cars, 10 cars, Class 1 cars before moving into TTs because that is a wise way to progress, not because it is mandatory. Lets keep it that way.

And thats the very reason and mentality why off-road racing will always be a second class form of racing. Now I'm saying its right or wrong and I sure enjoy racing my Class 10 car but when I see people gripe about poor tv/not enough tv coverage/not enough sponsors etc we have to look internally and address the problems we can control before looking externally and griping about things we can't.

Gadzooks2

RDC Crypto
Website
www.cnse.engr.ucr.edu
Don't think I understand this premise at all. So all those 10 or so guys at the top just appeared and didn't have to spend a few years developing a truck and the skill to run up front right? They should have just left it to the pro's and not been "in the way" all those years? So how do you explain a guy like Ray Griffith who never raced anything but a friggin Jeepspeed before buying a class 1 and instantly being as fast as anyone in either class right out of the gate? It could be argued if Ray had chosen a TT instead of a Class 1 HE would be one of those top ten you talk about because I already know he is faster in a TT. So he should he have not been allowed in or should have just left it to the Pro's? Nonsense!

pdailey

Pug Dad
RDC Crypto
Don't think I understand this premise at all. So all those 10 or so guys at the top just appeared and didn't have to spend a few years developing a truck and the skill to run up front right? They should have just left it to the pro's and not been "in the way" all those years? So how do you explain a guy like Ray Griffith who never raced anything but a friggin Jeepspeed before buying a class 1 and instantly being as fast as anyone in either class right out of the gate? It could be argued if Ray had chosen a TT instead of a Class 1 HE would be one of those top ten you talk about because I already know he is faster in a TT. So he should he have not been allowed in or should have just left it to the Pro's? Nonsense!

No he wouldn't. Not sure how you interpreted that off what we are posting here.

randy s

RDC Crypto
because they're the fastest things in the desert and if you have the means and the want to, then that's what you race..why would a really well off individual with a huge ego race in a limited class?..more power to em' in my opinion..it's not about why..it's about why not.

sirhk100

RDC Crypto
Totally 100% missed what I was saying... Many of us don't care if it never goes mainstream... Mainstream has nothing to do with making sure TT drivers have talent and can control their vehicles.

Until the one day someone's check book exceeds their talent and they make a big mess. Then they'll walk away and go engross themselves in their latest passion... but hey as long as there having a good time right?