Why race with out gloves.....

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Most people don't wear glove except when racing, so their dexterity sucks with them on. If you don't practice doing even the most mundane thing with gloves on, it can be a hindrance to ability. People just need to practice with them on, doing anything and everything, like changing a tire or fueling, etc... You do get used to them.

jon coleman

Reaction
It's not like you are sliding around on the steering wheel..... I think Johnny wears gloves now....

those steering wheel spokes are knuckle biters in a crash , rap those things in rubber edge molding& tape, much softer blow to the hand& fingers in a crash, oh And wear gloves too

tapeworm

Reaction
If you google military pilots gloves you can order nomex flight gloves for relatively cheap online. A great alternative to wearing nothing or motorcycle gloves when someone can’t afford SFI rated hand wear.

jon coleman

Reaction
leather work gloves for like tree trimmers are pretty good, ive used leather Only for mx, when i used to race, for cars its pretty hard to beat for fire protection& cost value, yes military pilot gloves are killer for welding too, they got hi quality leather fingers to have feel for all those buttons , knobs, switches, do hickeys in the modern fighter jet

class5cole

Reaction
I understand that racers are a creature of habit, but try pulling your harness off while its cooking... Bad new bears

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
I don't wear gloves as a codriver, but mostly because it is easier to use the iPad. I do have gloves stuffed in the door in the event that I need to hop out and do work on the truck.

AZ7000'

Reaction
Picture the nightmare of a race car fire, your hands get burned and you need to undo your belts, your hands don't work and you are stuck there till the nylon melts and maybe you can get out then. Or maybe not. Thats why I wear them 99% of the time I'm racing.

I ran without one from Borrego to the cattle guard at the start of the crossover after this happened working on the truck... The locals put the hot one in their ice chests for me while I finished up.
IMG_1219.jpeg

Tipracer

Reaction
This is true, but these have shrugged off hot headers/shocks and cv grease wipes off relatively easily.. for me these are a great balance between heat protection and tactility... and the ansi/astm rating F1060-08 rating is good for 600 degrees. I will never race without glove.

mig29

Reaction
Ivan Stewart didn't wear gloves, had open cockpit (like current race trucks).

See "The Extremists" Ivan Steward. Had Baja 1000 footage, MTEG footage. I recorded it on Beta video, have video on my computer

Off-road racing with Ivan Stewart; hang-gliding; kayaking in Chile.

AZ7000'

Reaction
Ivan Stewart didn't wear gloves, had open cockpit (like current race trucks).

See "The Extremists" Ivan Steward. Had Baja 1000 footage, MTEG footage. I recorded it on Beta video, have video on my computer

Shortest Mig post ever?? o_O

Josh 8

Reaction
I don’t use gloves racing. Or flying high performance aircraft. One of my dads old friends who was a marine core aviator (do not call them “pilots”, the air force has pilot) told me a long time ago that the most important piece of of safety gear in a plane (or race car for this matter) is a good set of fire resistance gloves. His point was that if you hands are on fire you not getting you belts off and out of a plane. I would think a race is the same situation. I was thing about this the last race I was in as I was bear handed.

Btw, the old time pilot has passed now. He flew corsairs, panthers and cougars off a carriers during Korea

I have been reconsidering his advise.

Last edited: