Why race with out gloves.....

dhjeepgeek

Reaction
As to they cost too much, really, check it out, they don't really cost that much. Sumit, Kartek. etc. I think the ones I have were $50.00.
Skin grafts cost a lot more. I still get a blister in one spot one my left hand anyway. But worse without them. Maybe I should pay more.

MTPyle

Reaction
Personally I would never race without gloves. any time we get in the truck we have full gear on. My Co driver always wants to take his off and we keep having to have that talk. It's just not worth it.

We did buy some really good Alpinstar driving gloves that have the touch screen stuff on the fingers and are very comfortable. They have a great feel and do not get in the way at all.

Alpinestars Race gloves

Mike

C4

Reaction
I personally think that the more safety gear you can have the better. I've raced desert trucks, circle track, CORR and then back to desert. When I moved from Desert to circle track the tech people didn't accept leather shoes, Mechanix gloves or any other substitute for safety gear. When I move to CORR, that year one of the Herbst Bros was in a fire and touched a foam pad on his cage while getting out of the truck and it melted his Mechanix glove and burnt his hand. After that they started enforcing all the safety rules. It was around then that UPR (I believe it was them) posted videos of them testing firesuits and it made me realize how little a firesuit will actually protect you. It is not fire proof. It is fire resistant and ONLY resistant for seconds. Fire resistant base layers become more important when you really think about what your firesuit CAN'T protect you from. Gloves, proper shoes and even helmet skirts are so important! The money spent on personal safety gear is the MOST important investment you can make in your entire race program! It really surprises me that none of the desert racing organizations are checking these things! I have NEVER been check at the start line for anything but an arm band. This year at KOH they started enforcing a fire extinguisher rule and personal safety gear rule. At the start line every day they had someone checking shoes and gloves and pulling cars out of line if BOTH people in the car weren't wearing the proper gear. I was very very impressed with ultra 4 for doing that.
With that said, I have taken my glove off while messing with the GPS because I couldn't do it with my glove on. I feel naked without them on and ALWAYS put them back on.
Don't be stupid! Always wear the proper gear!

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I wear gloves when there is a risk of degloving injury (i.e. riding bikes, skateboard, etc....), when working with sharp objects (around the shop, etc...) and chance of fire (racing, handling fuel, etc...). people that don't wear gloves never had a serious injury (like degloving or burns) on their hands.

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Reaction
I don’t use gloves racing. Or flying high performance aircraft. One of my dads old friends who was a marine core aviator (do not call them “pilots”, the air force has pilot) told me a long time ago that the most important piece of of safety gear in a plane (or race car for this matter) is a good set of fire resistance gloves. His point was that if you hands are on fire you not getting you belts off and out of a plane. I would think a race is the same situation. I was thing about this the last race I was in as I was bear handed.

Btw, the old time pilot has passed now. He flew corsairs, panthers and cougars off a carriers during Korea

I have been reconsidering his advise.

Carry on

Josh 8

Reaction
Laugh out loud. I guess I screwed up there.

The first time I called him a pilot I was about 18. That’s porbably the first time I realized he flew combat aircraft. Well I dropped the pilot bomb on him and he turned to me so fast and poked me in the chest and “that’s naval aviator, or marine corp aviator to you! The airwhores have pilots!”
He shocked me and scared me a little. He then bust out laughing. He was cool old dude. He started out as a cook in the marines. At the end of his fighter jet carrier he had the lowest ejection recorded at about 250 feet from one of those cannon shell ejection seats. It trashed his back and stomach. A year later he was still in the Corp and started flying helicopters. He then did a tour in Antarctica in a support role flying choppers. His name was John Ratzlauff.

Last edited:

jon coleman

Reaction
in the Navy they call them helo's in the army there choppers, in the airfarce they be wirrly birds, & you know what jar heads call them??oooka oooka ook ook look'!☝🐒🙉🐵🙈🐒( picture grunt pounding chest as he's pointing at the big flying thing)

mgobaja

Reaction
I personally think that the more safety gear you can have the better. I've raced desert trucks, circle track, CORR and then back to desert. When I moved from Desert to circle track the tech people didn't accept leather shoes, Mechanix gloves or any other substitute for safety gear. When I move to CORR, that year one of the Herbst Bros was in a fire and touched a foam pad on his cage while getting out of the truck and it melted his Mechanix glove and burnt his hand. After that they started enforcing all the safety rules. It was around then that UPR (I believe it was them) posted videos of them testing firesuits and it made me realize how little a firesuit will actually protect you. It is not fire proof. It is fire resistant and ONLY resistant for seconds. Fire resistant base layers become more important when you really think about what your firesuit CAN'T protect you from. Gloves, proper shoes and even helmet skirts are so important! The money spent on personal safety gear is the MOST important investment you can make in your entire race program! It really surprises me that none of the desert racing organizations are checking these things! I have NEVER been check at the start line for anything but an arm band. This year at KOH they started enforcing a fire extinguisher rule and personal safety gear rule. At the start line every day they had someone checking shoes and gloves and pulling cars out of line if BOTH people in the car weren't wearing the proper gear. I was very very impressed with ultra 4 for doing that.
With that said, I have taken my glove off while messing with the GPS because I couldn't do it with my glove on. I feel naked without them on and ALWAYS put them back on.
Don't be stupid! Always wear the proper gear!
Jeff Furrier and his team at UPR have long been advocates for safety. He does the homework for you. Listen to what he suggests, as it is likely what he would put himself or his kids in to go racing. When I first rode in a race, a single layer suit is what I could afford. But I was also 18, no kids or wife to support. Now at 46, its a 3 layer suit, HANS device as well as a nomex headsock, gloves and nomex socks. Yes i still do my Redwing boots, as thats a comfort thing for me, but hopefully the nomex socks make up some of the safety gap the boots might be giving up.

AZ7000'

Reaction

Josh 8

Reaction
Thanks D.H.’s.

51rcr

Reaction
Old timer sprint car driver from where iam from was always a reminder of fire. Face and all was burned. Only could move arms and hands about 6" at waist height. He always had a collapsible straw. People would shrug off fire safety and someone would say go ask Louie what he thinks. Hands and feet are the first things you will lose if you live. Fire is so overlooked for how fast it can destroy a life and vehicle.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
This thread has definitely put more wariness in me. I will be buying touch screen and fire rated gloves before the next race.

I think these are the ones Mike is talking about. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MTPyle

Reaction
Michael

those gloves are good also. We have those before we got the new version. The Jew version has the seems on the outside so you don’t feel them. The new ones also have the touch screen stuff on the fingers.
Go to the link I posted for the new model. They are more money but they feel way better and work with touchscreens.

Mike

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Michael

those gloves are good also. We have those before we got the new version. The Jew version has the seems on the outside so you don’t feel them. The new ones also have the touch screen stuff on the fingers.
Go to the link I posted for the new model. They are more money but they feel way better and work with touchscreens.

Mike
Typo?

MTPyle

Reaction
LOL yes that was a typo. Not sure why it keeps doing that. Thats the 3rd time this week I have called something a Jew. Not cool man. Haha

Those gloves are for sure not the Jewish version. Hehe

Mike