Why should you be able to race a TT even if you have one!

Harpo

Reaction
Why should you be able to race a TT or class 1, even if you have one!

If I had a Nascar Sprint Cup car I still couldn't race it, same with a F1, IRL or a Top Fuel Dragster! First you must pass some sort of a test or go through a review board. But in off road all you need to do is pass a tech/safety inspection and you can basicly let a unexperienced 16 year old kid race the family pick-up truck in the elite division of off-road racing. Of course this is extreme buy why should the promoters let inexperenced drivers race with the professionals of our sport. To be blunt, there are guys racing in the top two divisions of our sport that flat out don't belong there, due to lack of experence and/or equipment and it flat out affects other teams performance.

Offspring

Reaction
Please define "professional". Does it mean earn a paycheck from racing operation? Just have lots of money? Or accepted by peers as such?

AzBajaman

Big Az Dad
Reaction
Of course this is extreme buy why should the promoters let inexperenced drivers race with the professionals of our sport. To be blunt, there are guys racing in the top two divisions of our sport that flat out don't belong there, due to lack of experence and/or equipment and it flat out affects other teams performance.

Who might we be talking about???????????

jowoog

Reaction
come on , name names . get popcorn now.

Petepecas

Reaction
Money...thats why, SCORE, for example, really only cares about the money...other race organizations of course are a bussiness also, BUT have a regulatory entity of some sort, like say, FIA. In our sport, Judge and Jury are the same person, so....
It should also be required that all participants take a physicall (EKG for drivers over 40) exam, for everybodys sake, and it doesnt happen.
I guess thats what makes off road racing kinda like the wild west.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
I would assume that it was someone that screwed up your race?maybe someone that started up in the front? But what a freaking mess that would be!!! I could just see it now, Savage out there with a clip board on some short coarse seeing how well you can turn,jump, and how fast you can get out of your truck ,get up on the hood and drink a Tecate!!!!!!

Maybe we could make all the drivers take some kind of Wonder Lick test .No matter someone would always say Robbie Cheated!!!

offroadracer516

Reaction
Money...thats why, SCORE, for example, really only cares about the money...other race organizations of course are a bussiness also, BUT have a regulatory entity of some sort, like say, FIA. In our sport, Judge and Jury are the same person, so....
It should also be required that all participants take a physicall (EKG for drivers over 40) exam, for everybodys sake, and it doesnt happen.
I guess thats what makes off road racing kinda like the wild west.

Why should drivers over 40 have to take a exam?
there are tons of drivers that have raced into there 60's
give me a break...i do agree that some people have lots of money and no skill...

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I know exactly who he is talking about and agree wholeheartedly. He's not alone in these sentiments either, a few other top TT drivers were screaming the same thing after the 500. With the way off-road races are started, having people who don't belong out there can really affect your race if not ruin it for you.

Its a shame.

Good thread.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I think there should be a required "seat time" that you have to get in one of the other classes before you can race a TT or Class 1. I actually think thats the SMART way to do it anyways.

Just like you need a certain amount of hours before you can get your pilot's license you should need seat hours before you can race a TT or CLS1.

Ozzie M

Reaction
I think there should be a required "seat time" that you have to get in one of the other classes before you can race a TT or Class 1. I actually think thats the SMART way to do it anyways.

Just like you need a certain amount of hours before you can get your pilot's license you should need seat hours before you can race a TT or CLS1.

Thats is the best way people like post and pfluegar

D4D

Reaction
I think there has to be a right of passage of some sort, in road racing a car will have a log book that is signed off from the race promotoer at every race, when shopping for a car you always want the log book. In my mind the same thing should be done in off road but for the driver. Every race you do be it SCORE, BITD, SNORE, LOORRS, TORC, VORRA, etc. the driver has a log book that gets signed off. After a driver has XX amount of hours without a major incedent they can move up to the top classes. Now there will be exceptions, guys like Armin Schwartz, Paul Tracy, Jeff Ward, even Robbie if he had not raced off road before can get waved because they have a race license from another santioning body in another form of motorsports.

I have spoke to a lot of big potential sponsors that see off road racing as a risk and this is always one of their key issues. They see two things.
That the average guy can look like he is the king because he has money but has no real background or foundation for their race program and want a lot of money from sponsors and big sponsors are rarely if ever going to pay money for something that does not make sense. This includes the driver(s) having a solid background, years of experience and all that.
Then you have the second issue which I have heard a lot over the last few years and that is big company A got involved in off road racing and sponsored XXXXXXXXXX they spent $XXXXXX and in the end that money was wasted because the team/driver over sold the package on the front end and did not deliver on the back end. I will not name names but some of these drivers/sponsors mentioned to me are guys with and without money but none of them had experience or a foundation. Because of their past experiences these sponsors will most likely never return to off road racing.

harleys dad

Reaction
What is dumb about the sport of off road racing is it is the only racing that gives pro status to anybody who can afford it. You race pro 4 BAM you are automaticlly a pro AND you cannot race a lesser class because you are a pro. It is laughable. Same with TT, There is some that belong and a lot that dont but nothing is going to change.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
The test is, if you have the money to afford it, you pass.
Off road racing is not about being a good driver, it’s only been about being able to afford it. If you have the money, you’re in, and you get the driver seat.

If all where good drivers, we would not have a chance and we all would place worse then we do now. I know my knowledge and experience makes me place better over a team with more money.

pciscott

Reaction
If Score only cared about the money they would bank the 50k they spend on air support! Get a clue, cost of putting on a event like the Baja 500 are not covered by the slumping entries! If not for sponsors Score would be gone. Now as far as professional drivers, I disagree. No one is getting paid to race off road, not even Robby Gordon can make a living in the sport he loves. Qualifying would eliminate the problems and add a layer of safety as the fastest guys in front and everyone in line? I know this would add work and a day to the race, but I would be willing to spend more! Now Harpo I understand your frustration and dust can be an evil thing, but you are telling me that if Rick had been born with a silver spoon it would have been wrong for him to start racing in the Trophy Truck class? We race in an unlimited class with few rules or requirements and this will never change, lobbying Score to implement qualifying would help with the problem if we could all band together as a group? In my experience Alpha males have a hard time agreeing on anything and this is the problem and why we are stuck in the DUST!

Ryan_P

Reaction
If you have not raced an entire season in TT or Class 1 with said sanctioning body, you should be required to rear start. Plain and simple. You can't keep a guy with money from doing what he wants; this isn't NASCAR, F1, or the IRL. However, you can better police it.

There are bo bo's in every class, not just TT and Class 1.