why smog guys suck

gary

Reaction
how's this for a ca smog test tale. i go to get my test on monday, the test guy says he'll overlook the fact that my timing was off a bit, but that my header, built to be ca legal, won't pass. he says the O2 sensor isn't properly located. wonderful. $50 gone. he gives me the # to the ca state smog referee, who might okay it...yes, there is such a thing. on tuesday, the ref tests my truck, and says he won't pass it for 3 reasons...the timing is off, my hot air riser tube has a tear in it....like those things do anything anyways?? and that my header doesn't have the part # stamped into it. so i call my header manufacturer, and ask about this. they say it's crap, and that they don't have to do that, it's part of the exemption # sticker that you get when you buy the header. the smog referee is an a*hole, and treats me like i'm a moron, acting all cocky and says to show him that on paper....yes, i almost decked him. i go home, $30 lighter. so i again call header manufacturer, this time asking for paperwork. they do not have it, but say call ca air resource board....that's the people who supposedly okayed the headers to be ca legal in the first place.....so i do. the guy on the phone there was actually cool, and said he'd document all this, and give it to the regional manager of the so cal region, who would get back to me in a day or two. an hour later, i get a call from the referee guy, saying if i fix my timing and hot air tube, he'll pass the header, as a phone call from his regional manager helped him out on some info he must've overlooked, and that the header i bought is the type that doesn't have the # stamped on it. he sounded nice and sheepish this time, almost apologetic.

Tim

Reaction
Damn! I haven't had to face that in a while... good luck
Now I want to register in Az. since I'm going to school out here, they dont give a damn!

evan_clanin

Reaction
the $mog guy$ never give me any problem$ when i get my truck $moged..

cleartoy

Reaction
That sucks. I think timing is alowed a +- of 3 degrees leway.

The header doesnt have to be stamped. You should have gotten an E.O. sticker with it.

He probably just wanted you to slide him like $20-$50. Slime ball.

What year is your Toyota? My girls 85 EFI has an O2 sensor in the header,as does my 85 carbed truck, but my 94EFI has a sensor before and after the cat only.

Got Sand??

ntsqd

Reaction
I've found a lot of the time attitude (of the owner) has a lot to do with how anyone in a position of power responds. I'm not saying that Gary was or wasn't agro since I wasn't there and don't know him. My Infamous Scout Friend (MISF) used to be one of the Referees. He would work with those trying to do it right, and shoot down in flames those trying to skirt the law. If you truly didn't know and/or were working towards making things legal he'd bend over backwards to help. If you were trying to cheat, well let's just say you really, really went to the wrong ref.
That being said, I got the impression from him that his attitude was rare among the other refs and most were on a power trip based on little knowledge.
As to the call that the O2 placement was off, he would have to be an emissions engineer to make that call. To the best of my knowledge O2 placement only affects open loop operating time. So the emissions are affected longer while the engine is cold, but the overall picture doesn't change once the engine is warm. This stems from the ~600 *f operating temp needed for the O2 to function properly. To have eyeballically measured the O2 placement and determined it to be wrong reveal's what kind of person you were dealing with.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Keep in mind smog laws are in place to make money first and protect the enviroment second. If it was all about keeping the air clean, which it should be!, then there would be no visual inspection. They would only care what came out the tail pipe...

Tony

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I al$o have no problem$ $moging my truck. I $imply a$k how much it i$ going to co$t to make it pa$$.

If that doesnt work it magicly ends up in Arizona. Have done this four times, even when it requires a "test only" smog check. Have gone to several dmv offices just in case.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
"DISCO FEVER"

ntsqd

Reaction
I'll agree with your first point, but not with your second. But not because it's wrong, it isn't and I agree with the premise, just that it's not practical. Testing for emissions is a very complex thing. For an aftermarket firm to get an EO number costs at least $50k in testing and bureucratic hoops, and spending 3 times that isn't unheard of. So what the EPA & CARB have done is test for emissions once (I'm talking b4 the sale of a given model, not individual maintenence testing as in biannual) and then try to control what can happen to the emissions package afterwards. If you had to submit to the current pre-release testing for emissions (which is what not caring how they/you did it, just that it's done would require) every other year it would be a serious time & financial drain on the driving public. See, the issue is that the whole emission of the engine over it's entire operating range and under every possible loading and atmospheric condition has to be tested, not just the couple points that the maintenence (biannual) testing does.

-- Howdy Lee

gary

Reaction
to address a couple of points here--

i do have the EO # sticker-both places said that didn't matter

i was sweet as sugar to the ref guy for the first half of the test, but the second he saw my truck and started in on the header, he got a serious attitude, and started acting like a dick. i didn't get rude til i knew i was done for. i did still have one option/trick up my sleeve...the first guy said he's pass me if i came back with the o2 sensor moved, so i called my local muffler shop, and they said they could move it for me-just more $$$

the whole thing seems silly to me-the ref was a hard headed a*hole, until i went over his head, and the smog shop guy doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground

ntsqd

Reaction
Which two places told you the EO didn't matter ? If that is true, then what's the point of a manufacturer spending big bucks to get an EO ? I know there's some contention about people using EO stickers for equipment that doesn't actually have one and maybe that is what they were trying to eliminate. Not saying that's what you were trying to do, just trying to understand why they did what they did.
From what MISF has told me about the smog guys he delt with regularly, your encounter is more the norm than not. His opinion of those he delt with on a regular basis was pretty close to your experience. Sad.

-- Howdy Lee

gary

Reaction
the first place was the regular test only center, where the gentleman also told me that the sensor was in the wrong spot. (it was only measuring 2 tubes instead of 4)
the second place was the referee guy. he said that there was no way to know if the headers on my truck were the ones that the eo sticker applied to. i understand that, but what am i supposed to do?? my header manufacturer says that if he'd properly looked up the eo#, it would have told him that there are no #'s on the headers...it all seems silly, but i suppose it wouldn't have happened if the headers had the # on them. header company just thought smog guys were a*holes...maybe they oughta think about throwing the #s on there, huh???

Jimmy8

Reaction
I LOVE ARIZONA, and here in Parker I can drive my race truck down the street to go out and test in the desert less than a mile away. Trailer to Barstow? Where is Barstow? Who says that pre running for the Parker 400 is only the weekend before the race. I do it year round. Speaking of that I will take my straight piped Arizona Smog legal pre runner out to pre run the Parker 400 course tommarrow. Oh I'm so sorry to rub it in, but I couldnt resist.

ntsqd

Reaction
Don't worry about those AZ guys. Their days of no smog BS are numbered. As usual, CA leads most all of the trends, good and bad. The rest of the states will be following along shortly. In the mean time we're up to speed on how to work with, and around the smog equipment and they're gonna be lacking........
:)

-- Howdy Lee