why so few bike teams this year?

Chainguide

Reaction
There where only about 28 bike teams entered at the San Felipe 250 last weekend, not including the sportsman classes. I never thought that I would see the day where there are more trophy trucks entered than all the moto classes combined! What is your opinion on why?

cynicwanderer

Reaction
Beat up or out of money
from the mint 400 maybe?
there was also a BITD bike race the same weekend and they require all races to get points for the season. granted, there weren't many bikes there either, but if you add up SF250 and Laughlin, it probably accounts for most of them...

Jshultz

Reaction
Or it could be the cost of entering these days, for a bike team to come up with $2k plus everything else, some probably choose not to show up. Hopefully there are more at the 500.

Rslhc

Reaction
I also wonder if the course design had something to do with it. a 350mi race in SF does not exactly sound amazing for a bike team.

AZ KIRBY

Reaction
Bitd race and a national race the same weekend. All I have to say is f that course Hahahahha

Honda48X

Reaction
Longer course in San Felipe and only a 2 hour gap. That is not good for most of the teams. They are lucky there was a bottleneck at Matomi.

nickybobby333

Reaction
How was the gap between the Sportsman handlebars and the TTs? Did they make it to the cut section before the trucks caught them? Idk why they only give a 2 hour gap. Why don't they just start the bikes at o'dark thirty and then start the first 4 wheel at 10?

AZ KIRBY

Reaction
How was the gap between the Sportsman handlebars and the TTs? Did they make it to the cut section before the trucks caught them? Idk why they only give a 2 hour gap. Why don't they just start the bikes at o'dark thirty and then start the first 4 wheel at 10?
The TT caught most of the bike before the highway cut out. It would have been nice to have us start at 4-5 am. The tts were on the move

Jshultz

Reaction
Hell with the fact that almost everybike had lights anyway, might as well start at 3am.

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
I also wonder if the course design had something to do with it. a 350mi race in SF does not exactly sound amazing for a bike team.
yes it does.. the cost is the problem. if we had money we would probably be in a cage..
seems everything changed after that awful day in 2013....:(
i know.. :'(

dezert_nerd

Reaction
Cost of entry fee's has everything to do with it. I understand the promoters need to pay for things like insurance and land use fee's as well but holy f%$k, why would anyone want to pay a 2,000$ entry fee or whatever it costs to race a SCORE race nowadays (please correct me if I'm wrong) just to race against 3-5 other guys in your class? F%#K that! I'll go race the local desert series where the races still pose a challenge and you get to race against more people! I raced a SIDRA race a couple weekends ago and the bomb run consisted of 182 bikes all starting at once.

I think if SCORE could find a way to make it a little more economical for the bike guys to come race, then you'd see more competition, regardless of how big a gap they have between the them and the cars starting. Or how long or how hard the course is.

Rslhc

Reaction
Cost of entry fee's has everything to do with it. I understand the promoters need to pay for things like insurance and land use fee's as well but holy f%$k, why would anyone want to pay a 2,000$ entry fee or whatever it costs to race a SCORE race nowadays (please correct me if I'm wrong) just to race against 3-5 other guys in your class? F%#K that! I'll go race the local desert series where the races still pose a challenge and you get to race against more people! I raced a SIDRA race a couple weekends ago and the bomb run consisted of 182 bikes all starting at once.

I think if SCORE could find a way to make it a little more economical for the bike guys to come race, then you'd see more competition, regardless of how big a gap they have between the them and the cars starting. Or how long or how hard the course is.
No joke on this. On top of the cost of bike prep, travel and prerunning in Mexico, you add $2k-3k in fees for score. Definitely makes it harder for non pro teams to get down there.

Doug.

Reaction
San Felipe 250 bike entry fee - $2,638

Well, there you go. And that's just to enter the race. I know racing in any form/series makes no economical sense, but there has to be lines somewhere. There are simply not many dudes who are able, and less that are willing, to spend that kind of money to beat themselves up for a few hours. I don't want to even look at the cost for any of other races in the series! I bet this is the cheapest one.

nickybobby333

Reaction
I am not a conspiracy theorist or anything, but do you think this is a way for SCORE to push out the handlebars altogether? As a few of you had mentioned, $2-3k for a sportsman entry is pretty insane when you can race BITD (as close of a similar race series as SCORE) for a 3rd or 4th of that cost. Don't get me wrong, racing in Baja stands above everything but there will have to be a point where only the pros (and a small few) will be able to go and run the races, let alone the series.

On the same note, I miss Mexico!

A Vance

Reaction
Cost is a huge factor. Also as a person who races BITD and does pretty good it comes down to sponsorships. Results don't get you sponsors anymore. Followers on Instagram get you sponsors. So real teams are not getting help to get bikes prepped and ready to race. Another things is so many good series to race. So everyone is spread out. The mint was awesome but very expensive. All score races are ridiculously expensive.