Why so many truck fires?

partybarge_pilot

Out of curiosity why do you wrap your headers? Us old school moto guys realized a long time ago the header wrap traps dirt and debris and causes all kinds of angry stuff, header wrap is also really bad for titanium...
They get wrapped to keep them from cooking everything around them. It makes the difference in your shoes melting to the floor of the truck or not. You would be surprised at how far the heat travels on a cage.

critter81

I used to put aluminum foil in the bottom of my boots when riding my rally bikes to keep the heat from the pipes off my feet.

jon coleman

They get wrapped to keep them from cooking everything around them. It makes the difference in your shoes melting to the floor of the truck or not. You would be surprised at how far the heat travels on a cage.
thats why that ship fire in SanDiego was such a b tch!, conduction heat in metal is tuff to cool

jon coleman

for header heat heat shielding off of ford cats& mufflers is good sh t, i get loads of it from muffler shop, and it was Easy to fit& form as needed, everything was cool

MTPyle

Our headers go under our floor and get crazy hot so we wrap them to keep the floor cooler. And it keeps the air around the engine cooler as well as the coil packs.

Mike

green787

Nothing is for free.... If you wrap your headers you'll pay for the BTU's later..... Let the red hot steel headers dissipate the heat to the atmosphere and build aluminum shields between your floor boards and the headers..... Hot floor boards are annoying and probably not engineered very well.... Direct the heat out.... deflect the heat..... don't try to contain it.....

Millenials don't like to see rust...... They look pretty wrapped..... Car show nonsense....

Gasoline soaked red hot wrapped headers..... What's next....????

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

Nothing is for free.... If you wrap your headers you'll pay for the BTU's later..... Let the red hot steel headers dissipate the heat to the atmosphere and build aluminum shields between your floor boards and the headers..... Hot floor boards are annoying and probably not engineered very well.... Direct the heat out.... deflect the heat..... don't try to contain it.....

Millenials don't like to see rust...... They look pretty wrapped..... Car show nonsense....

Gasoline soaked red hot wrapped headers..... What's next....????
Hate to break it to you, but spilling transmission fluid or gas on bare headers will light up faster than wrapped headers.

green787

Hate to break it to you, but spilling transmission fluid or gas on bare headers will light up faster than wrapped headers.
Yeah, but there's no wick effect.... when the gas stops spilling the flame goes out.....

jon coleman

i rapped Only 8 or so inches around starter on my chevy, that was a pain in the Azz, couldnt imagine doing the whole header...o_O

johndjmix

With fuel lines its always a tough call. You run through the tunnel and risk damage/heat. Or you run through the cab, where they are less likely to get damaged, but they have the driver close to them.

Running a tube from the rear of the truck to the front and putting braided lines inside it isnt a bad idea. Just always wondering about a little leak forming inside the tube and allowing fumes to fill the tube...the tube is now a bomb. I guess the best way to do it would be flx lines inside a tube, then seal where they go in and where they come out...

Open for better ideas, lets talk about this and how we can make it safer.

--John