Wide 5 hubs

AZmiik

Reaction
I was wondering if the wide 5 used by stock car races is similar to the VW wide 5 pattern in the desert.

Mike

ntsqd

Reaction
It is not. Those are 5 on a 10.5" BC.
FWIW, they are the same as '37 Fords. Those hubs are made to be as light as possible. I'm not sure how they'd stand up to Off Road racing. As I recall our newest hub, with races installed but no bearings, weighs a little over 8 pounds. They also use the 'wide' floater snout, not the 'narrow' floater snout used with the 5x5 stock car hubs. There's about 1.0"-1.25" more distance btwn the bearings.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

AZmiik

Reaction
I guess I was just hoping to find a cheaper was to lose some unsprung weight. I noticed the 8lbs figures in the catalog and just had to know for sure.

Mike

ntsqd

Reaction
Someday I plan to build a street car using them. Will be marginal in the case of curb shots, but what the heck.....

TS

Greg

Reaction
If im not mistaken, Cone hubs are based around a Grand National style snout. Seems most people use the rear floater snouts for the front. I know Husmans pro-lite uses Afco mini-five snouts and hubs. You can get those in 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5. If your looking for 5on 5.5 you only have a couple spendy choices.

Greg

ntsqd

Reaction
VW 5 lug is 5 on 205mm which Convert.exe says is 8.071"

I think using the Wide 5 hubs off road has some merit, but I'm concerned that they might be too light to last very long. Doubt you'd see a season, might get one 1000 mile race out of them. At ~$100 a pop it's not in most Sportman's budgets to be replacing four of them every race to every other race. Hit a Maytag and you'd be done w/o a spare.
Wide 5's use a snout that has at least an inch more spacing btwn the wheel bearings than the Grand National snout does. So to try them you're talking more of an investment than just the hubs & wheels.

TS