Wide Flatbed Trailers

desertracer

Reaction
With the track widths of our trucks and race cars ever expanding, the need for a trailer to hold it in place while towing to the desert will go up in demand. I am looking/ browsing for a trailer that provides a flat driveable surface of about 96-98'' so our car can fit on with the 35x12.5's at all 4 corners. Currently we are using a flatbed with supports over the wheel wells so the car can fit but this gets a bit scary at times with the balancing act that can happen. I know I have seen many other racers with this same problem. Are there any "production" trailers that can accomade this width, if so who are they and how wide do they go? Or, is the only coice to go custom? Thanks
The trailer that Big Bird is on here must be pretty wide, anybody know the width and/or make?

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Carson Trailer They have the flat beds your looking for. They sit pretty high but I'm sure they can add width to a standard car hauler to give the max of 102".

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Danny,

I've got a Carson trailer. The back is 102" wide while in front of the wheel wells it's 83". My 4 seater is 84" wide in the front and 89" wide in the rear. With a little bit of fab work and about $100-$200 extra bucks, you could make it 102" front and rear. I've priced the trailers your looking at and they were $3,500-$4,500 range. My Carson trailer ran me $2200 out the door. You might have to strengthen the fenders too if you plan on driving over the wheel wells. Good luck.

desertracer

Reaction
Thanks for the help looks like I may have found something. They claim that they are either 8 or 8.5ft wide which puts us at either 96 or 102. They do seem to sit a bit higher but it is all one big flat plane wich makes loading much easier. Our car is about 91-92'' in the front and 94'' in the rear so we probably need the 8.5 plus they are rated at 10k up to 14k for weight capiticty. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see what they want for one of these.

SpitDirtCom

Reaction
desertracer-

Who makes that trailier in your last post. I am in the market for a trailer also and I prefer the dual axle over triple axle. Let me know what you find out when you call them. Thanks

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
I give a thunbs up to Carson trailers. Mine's been thru hell, many trips to La Paz,
lots of offroading, overloaded, and still solid as a rock. I upgraded the tires to
Goodyear Marathons and reinforced the fenders so the wide 8 truck can just
drive over them.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
I think that is also a carson trailer

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Danny-

I can vouch for Carson Trailers as well! I've had mine since '98 and have carried everything from quads to race cars and never had a problem. My trailer isn't as wide as what you're looking for, but overall quality and construction is great.

An upgrade I did, and would strongly suggest is the diamond plate floor, NO WOOD! With the diamond plate, the frame gets additional bracing and makes it super tough. Like Chris, I've upgraded my tires (I went with a Maxxis Radial) and got rid of the bias ply's.

The standard trailer with the diamond plate upgrade, flush mounted tie-down rings, drive up rear gate, dual 3500 lb. axles and electric brakes, I paid just under $2000.00.

Good luck!

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Danny-

Also, here is a link to Competitive Trailers. They build killer quality stuff, complete with drive-over ramps.

http://www.findatrailer.com/competitive/page2.html

As used by Terrible Herbst and the Goodman's.

This is actually Goodman's old trailer, but same idea

DELETED..

Reaction
We had a very nice 2 car wide trailer built by F E Trailers in El Cajon..

ON time.. On Budget.. (i still can't believe it..)

I build trailers in our fab shop when we have time but there price was about same as doing it myself

FE Trailers.. http://www.fetrailers.com/