Will SCORE investigate the Caselli tragedy of errors?

WickedGravityVideo

what broke the Honda hub? was it the old cattle guard towards the top of the Goat Trail at RM770? It was a concrete culvert perhaps 18" deep 24" wide, with the steel grate removed... I saw no less than ten bikes crash/stall into that thing in the night..grate used to be there last SCORE race, i thought.... no down arrows, no warning, whatsoever.... damned good thing it was up a fairly steep hill or there would have been real problems.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Dan McMillin said it best, at what cost to the racers. The Dakar Rally has a great system, but the registration fee is extremely expensive. Coming up with en expensive solution will most likely make it too expensive to race for a lot of racers.

RIP KC66!
Maybe its time to pay more to play safer. Sure it will cost more but how do you put a price on safety. IMO if someone can only do 1-2 races a year because thats all they can afford BUT they are much safer races then thats how it should be. Offroad racing is a JOKE when it comes to safety. Even the 24 Hours Of Lemons series has their safety dialed in way more than offroad. Lets start with mandating head and neck restraints and go from there.

Maybe its time for offroad to get more expensive to enter and people will deal with it just like Dakar......

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Maybe its time to pay more to play safer. Sure it will cost more but how do you put a price on safety. IMO if someone can only do 1-2 races a year because thats all they can afford BUT they are much safer races then thats how it should be. Offroad racing is a JOKE when it comes to safety. Even the 24 Hours Of Lemons series has their safety dialed in way more than offroad. Lets start with mandating head and neck restraints and go from there.

Maybe its time for offroad to get more expensive to enter and people will deal with it just like Dakar......
Roger has been pushing Dakar and Dakar style event since he's taken over SCORE. I wouldn't put it past him to take the sport to the next level, whether is pisses everyone off along the way. Our safety can be greatly improved but we can't be cheap about it.

Lots of great posts here, getting more and constructivd as the thread grows. The original post was worded horribly but I'm glad it's getting back on a healthy track, not pointing fingers and playing devils advocate. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Steve Rogers

Roger has been pushing Dakar and Dakar style event since he's taken over SCORE. I wouldn't put it past him to take the sport to the next level, whether is pisses everyone off along the way. Our safety can be greatly improved but we can't be cheap about it.

Lots of great posts here, getting more and constructivd as the thread grows. The original post was worded horribly but I'm glad it's getting back on a healthy track, not pointing fingers and playing devils advocate. Hindsight is always 20/20.
It doesn't matter how much money you spend on helo's, chase trucks, trackers ect... If you don't know how to use them. That was the intent of the original post.

Bro_Gill

Sorry Steve, but you are just clueless. I said it on the internet, so it must be true.

Listen, I deal with death and tragedy pretty much every day, in real life, for work. I see people die for all kinds of stupid reasons, many which are absolutely preventable, like drunk drivers as a perfect example. Someone is minding their own business, doing absolutely nothing wrong, and *BAM* they're dead because of something someone else did. That is not the case here and I think that is where you fail to connect reality with an issue you think complaining about is gonna get solved. Caselli was RACING a motorcycle in the desert. It is inherently dangerous and he chose to do it. Do I think he expected to die? Probably not, but I am sure the fact that it could happen and participating in the sport makes it a much higher possibility than not participating was something he had argued about in his own mind plenty of times. He CHOSE to participate. No different than someone who chooses to parachute and then dies when a chute deploys wrong or when a herroin user ODs. People CHOOSE tp participate in things that are dangerous and sometimes, those things to go peachy. To make matter worse, there is somebody who wants to pontificate and say it really wasn't that person's fault for choosing to participate, it was someone else's fault because they didn't save them after the fact. That is exactly what you are doing. I am going to go out on a limb and saythat even if paramedics wer right there when it happened, the result would be the same. I do this with 30 years experience dealing with head and chest trauma as a medical responder. The outcomes for these types on injuries from traumatic infliction are just about -0- survivability with that person making to a trauma center within the golden hour. Somehow you seem to think we can create a system where this guy would have landed in the E.R. Surgery Center when he left the bike. So, basically, yeah, I am saying he died and there probably isn't much we can do to change the circumstances of this type of incident. It happens every so often. Caselli knew it. I know it. and now, you know it too. The saving grace in all of this is this- He died doing something he loved and he was the only one killed while participating in his passion. The only way no one ever gets hurt or killed in these types of endeavors is to simply stop haiving them. Period. You ready to enforce that type of change?

Steve Rogers

I love it when people say racing is dangerous in the desert or any where as a reason not to look closely at ourselves and see what we can do better given the situation and the technology at our disposal. If we do anything else it is either a cop out our just disregard.

I am a medically trained in with emphasis in trauma a pilot and a racer I want to know what we can do better or right next time. Do I think that Kurt could have survived and the answer is maybe but it would have been only in the absolute best circumstances. Those would have been that the helicopter was on scene within 15 minutes with solid Advanced Life Support on board and the people who know how to use it.

What is obvious is that the technology provided the teams was not implemented in this scenario nor was the basic check list of how to search for a racer. The spot tracker showed him EXACTLY where he was with in 10 minutes of the accident. We know this due to the THR team being notified of this by Sat phone at 3:10. Kurt was hours of ahead of THR team at that time. We know that the KTM helicopter was not above Kurt due to needing to get fuel. We also know that the Honda helicopter was within 4 miles of Kurt's location for 30 minutes due to a broken wheel from the Cattle guard into the area. We also know that the KTM racers within 20 miles down course knew they had some issue pretty quickly when he was late. Lastly we know that when the KTM helicopter got up that they could not locate Kurt. This is where it gets ugly and that sucks but it the reality and the reality is that when you are the race team manager and the spotter it comes with a harsh reality. The reality that if **
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!** goes bad you have to access it, manage it and act appropriately. Also know that each person here had a sat phone to use.

Facts-
There was never a code red called to look for Kurt. JCR can tell you that, THR pilot has said that, SCORE Opps has said that.
The SPOT tracker did its job and told everyone in the world where Kurt was at.
The KTM team management never used this data to locate him.
Kurt was there and even if you could not see the bike the beacon was telling you it was there. Land the helicopter and find him.

I personally think this is similar to a fog of war incident. KTM management at the time were just lost in confusion. It is not pretty but that is the reality and no one is served by saying it was just a racing accident. Remember that this is the team with World Rally Experience. Your job in the helicopter is to watch over and protect and that is a huge unfair advantage these well funded teams have. It is also a heavy burden of responsibility when you hop into the left seat. This is not the same for enclosed race vehicle that have massive protection simply by the type of vehicle it is.

SCORE needs to look at what it can do better. Any time a bike or ATV comes to a complete stop on their tracking that is not in a designated pit area they need to act like it is life threatening situation till proven otherwise. The lanyard idea proposed earlier will help in that but that is currently only an idea. The helicopters must be required to work together.
Never had a question about whether hitting a cow is part of it. It is however, it's a different story when the numerous resources that available were not implemented. Hopefully in the future people will learn and they will be but if the "dying is racing" crowd gets their way and this is just written off then they'll only have themselves to to answer to in the mirror.

El Mamito USMC

good idea on the thread, bad wording on it(it gave a wrong impression )..

its sad what happened to KC66, but its a danger that all racers take and accept once the leave the start line. NO ONE can blame the 1X for passing 65mph and not seeing 2X in a bush. not even the helo.. I work many times during HST (USMC stuff) and some times we don't even see our people until they get in the wide open, much less in a low light condition and in a bush.. but we should look into something positive about this tragedy( that maybe the SOP for down riders will be look into or updated to a try and cover the situations that happened here)

one thing that im sure someone with technical experience(by all means not me) its to adapt a spot tracker to a kill switch. instead of killing the bike, ill just activate the signal. give the rider 10 mins to restart it or then send the rescue team..

again RIP KC66 and let get something positive in this thread..

Hog Wild

Not "solutions", but some improvements regarding the tracking:
1) ALWAYS mount the SPOT with the logo face pointing STRAIGHT up, like the directions that come with it tell you to do. I think many if not most motos did this wrong. It contributes to missing tracking points, and errors in reported location. Missing tracking points is operator error, not a sucky device.
2) Do not put the SPOT in a pouch or bag. This makes it much more difficult to press the S.O.S. button, especially if you're seriously injured. And a pouch hides it from view, making it nearly impossible for a spectator or other person coming to a crash site to find it or know it's even there. Putting it under/behind the moto front number plate is REALLY bad. Who can get to that in an emergency?
3) For the cars, consider mounting it up on top of the dash, in the "windshield" area, so it can see most of the sky while still being accessible to push the button without climbing out. Better yet, add a remote S.O.S. button so the main unit can be mounted outside in a good view of the sky position, while still allowing the driver/codriver the ability to "push the button" on the remote inside the cab. I took apart my SPOT Gen3 and figured out how to do this, so I know it's possible. But I'm not sure SPOT would look kindly on modification of the internal circuitry.

Rory

Crayola Killer

Fish, I know what you're trying to say but you can't compare safety in off road racing to ANY event held in a closed course type series. Regardless the cost, no matter what kind of safety plan they try to implement, it still will have delayed responses due to the nature of the beast that is off road racing.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Fish, I know what you're trying to say but you can't compare safety in off road racing to ANY event held in a closed course type series. Regardless the cost, no matter what kind of safety plan they try to implement, it still will have delayed responses due to the nature of the beast that is off road racing.
Ya I agree. But there are Many many improvements that can be made to offroad to make it safer and quicker response times. The problem is it's going to cost $$ and people will **
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!** about it. IMO it's time to pay up for safety.

Steve Rogers

Steve, what's your solution to the problem?
First the facts of what went wrong need to be public.

Each team should do an evaluation of how they can avoid or better how they can innovate solutions to safety issues.

Ideally all the sanctioning bodies could agree on a standard. This would make learning the system easier and reduce costs with a potentially larger customer base.

SCORE OPS needs to modernize by the standard for OffRoad racing. Learn from Multiple sources about how we can improve communication during the race and race week for that matter. Bfg has an amazing radio system. Maybe they can make suggestions.

We probably need separate tracking data. One set is a secure system for to review race date SCORE current system seems to work adequately for that. Then we need a secure system that only SCORE OPS has access that will provide better real time data on it's own bandwidth. It also would be great to have "communication" capability between the race vehicle and SCORE. Cars could use voice similar to the current IRC system and "bikes" could use a loud whistle to alert the rider SCORE OPS sees a problem. Have the rider be able (through a single button press) to text back to SCORE Ops either OK, mechanical or Code Red. If no reply is sent during a set time to respond then SCORE will call a Code Red.
Finally a friends and family tracker unit (maybe the Spot unit) can be used for everyone else to follow.

There also need to be communication between the aircraft brought down to help with the race. This race had at least 13 helicopters and additional fixed wing aircraft. There should be a system for them to talk. This would be an area that could be improved on tremedously.

Safety isn't a competiive issue, all racers deserve it.

SCORE also needs to bring back the second medical chopper. Sal always had 2. Now there is only one.

These are just some of the things that I think could be explored. Will they all work, probably not but the discussion certainly needs to begin.

Last edited:

Jeff72

I came across this the other day. I think it is new on the market. I'm sure most teams carry some type of sat phone, but this may be handy for those that do not, and for those that do have one, this may work better. I know mine is pretty dated and has connection problems. And it is affordable - $500 - Score is already using Spot tracking, they may be able to swing a good deal for all race teams to get one cheaper and receive some good advertising in return.

http://www.findmespot.com/mobile/index.php/main/spotphone/

Just thought I would throw it out there for those who may be interested or nt aware of it. I ordered one for myself.

Baja Jim

The each team should do an evaluation of how they avoid or better innovate solutions.
SCORE OPS need to modernize. Learn from Multiple sources about how we can improve communication during the race and race week for that matter.
We probably need separate tracking data. One set is a secure system for to review race date SCORE current system seems to work adequately for that. Then we need a secure system that only SCORE OPS has access that will provide better ral time data. It also would bs great to have that have "communication" capability between the race vehicle and SCORE. Cars could use voice similar to the current IRC system and "bikes" could use a loud siren to alert the rider SCORE OPS sees a problem. Have it text back either OK, mechanical or Code Red. Have a set time to respond and if no reply is sent then SCORE will call a Code Red.
There also need to be communication between tue aircraft brought down to help with the race. This race had at least 13 helicopters and fixed wing aircraft. There should bs a system for them to talk. Safety isn't a competiive issue, all racers deserve it.
SCORE also needs to bring back the second medical chopper. Sal always had 2. Now there is only one.

These are just some of the things that I think could bs explored. Will they all work, probably not but the discussion certainly needs to begin.
You imply that SCORE and KTM are not looking into this tragedy. That's where you turn me off instantly! Look at what Roger and his staff have done since taking over. There are rescue vehicle all over the course all with life saving equipment and personal. They have much better communication with the racer than I have ever seen in 11 Baja 1000's that I have participated in. They are speaking with racers and teams asking for input.

Roger has been criticized for making changes good, bad or indifferent and you want to make this statement without giving him, his staff or KTM any consideration as to what they may or may not be doing. I think that is very unfair of you to do this on a public forum. Have you personally contacted them and provided your insight? Roger has spent more money on safety in his first year than I have seen spent in the last 5 years.

Jeff72

Not "solutions", but some improvements regarding the tracking:
1) ALWAYS mount the SPOT with the logo face pointing STRAIGHT up, like the directions that come with it tell you to do. I think many if not most motos did this wrong. It contributes to missing tracking points, and errors in reported location. Missing tracking points is operator error, not a sucky device.
2) Do not put the SPOT in a pouch or bag. This makes it much more difficult to press the S.O.S. button, especially if you're seriously injured. And a pouch hides it from view, making it nearly impossible for a spectator or other person coming to a crash site to find it or know it's even there. Putting it under/behind the moto front number plate is REALLY bad. Who can get to that in an emergency?
3) For the cars, consider mounting it up on top of the dash, in the "windshield" area, so it can see most of the sky while still being accessible to push the button without climbing out. Better yet, add a remote S.O.S. button so the main unit can be mounted outside in a good view of the sky position, while still allowing the driver/codriver the ability to "push the button" on the remote inside the cab. I took apart my SPOT Gen3 and figured out how to do this, so I know it's possible. But I'm not sure SPOT would look kindly on modification of the internal circuitry.

Hog, great ideas and very true. I know many people who use them in the bush, in northern canada. They wear them around there neck on a lanyard, and tuck it into their coats. Might not work for tracking though. But much more readily accessible by the rider/driver.

The other, it sounds like a system already in place in aviation. Some people may not be aware of it.

It is an ELT. Emergency Locating Tranmitter. It is mounted remotely in the aircraft/vehicle in a protected area that will be the least likely place for it to be damaged in an accident. It is actuated by a G switch on impact or, remotely with a protected botton on the instrument panel/dash board. It has a small external antenna.

They work very well, and the new ones are satellite tracked and registered with identifying information and ther own indivudual identification code. I have not seen one like this for automotive use, but I know GM has a system something like this - if the air bags are deployed in you car, it sends a message to the Onstar system. But I believe it only works through the cellular system.

Maybe someone with more technical knowledge than me could use/analyze these systems and come up with a system that would work for any type of racing, off road equipment use, and anything else in the world where people are in remote locations with litte communications. If done properly, it might be relatively affordable too, all other things considered. Maybe spot could combine there existing systems into a system like this?

Just another idea to ponder, one more thing that might be able help in the future.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
If the IERCC gets the SOS, do they contact SCORE or handle it like any other rescue? The WM may not know there's a reason to go red if he's not getting SOS information, he may be relying on information via radio only. I'd assume SCORE had a system in place so this may be a stretch, but If not I guess its possible the SOS could go to Houston and they may not even know there's a race going on.

If you don't use a Spot, here's how it works. You set up your profile on your tracker through the Spot website with different contacts via email or text. You can have several contacts based on the alert you activate. The "I'm ok" can go to selected contacts, the "Help" can go to others. You don't have an option to change the SOS on the regular consumer interface. Mine is set up with different profile depending on where I'm going, my Mexico profile has Mexico savvy people on the help list.

I'm not pointing fingers or second guessing, there's something to learn from all of these situations.

Bro_Gill

As someone who actually operates in major incident emergency response, I think there are things that can be done differently to help solve problems that the current set-up suffers, but I also feel none of them would have made a difference in this case. Managing large incidents like hurricanes, floods, and fires are much more consuming in staffing and resources than the Baja 1000 will ever approach and it is done using the same system across the nation and should be applied to this race. From just a communication stand point, no offense to teh Weatherman and all who support that endeavor, but it is not equipped to handle the amount of radio traffic they try to handle during a race. Medical emergencies should not be handled on any channel that also handles status reports, etc... There should be channels strictly for cokmmand finctions of the race that theoublic and the racers don't need to listen to. A repeater or 2 would also be a major step in the right direction for the administration end of the race, but for any of it to work, you would have to remove ALL of the Richard Craniums off those channels. There should still be a status check channel and basic updates, but the current system of basically one channel to handle all pertinent. emergency, and riffraff chatter is not functioning efficiently enough to be acceptable. As far as GPS based locators and accuracy, there are plenty of epirbs that go off in suit cases on planes, in closets, and for non-emergency transmits. If you want something to work, you have to pay for it. And even then, you better have a realistic acceptance of what activating the system is gonna bring you. Medical care within 1 hour is probably the very, very best you could ever hope to achieve with this sport. Circumstances are what they are and unless you want to see $20,000 dollar entry fees so that paramedic ambulances and rescues are every 30 miles and helicopters are every 100 miles on the course, you better get a better grip on reality.

I have been racing and attending races since 1982. I have seen a drastic increase in the number of ambulances along the course in just the last few years. I have also NOT seen an increase in the number of deaths associated with racers (spectators and chasers is another issue) This tells me that statistically, we are operating within the margins of safety and the lowest mean number is where we sit. You will NEVER eliminate all deaths in a sport such as this. Statistically it is impossible without simply not racing.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports

Each team should do an evaluation of how they can avoid or better how they can innovate solutions to safety issues.

Ideally all the sanctioning bodies could agree on a standard. This would make learning the system easier and reduce costs with a potentially larger customer base.

SCORE OPS needs to modernize by the standard for OffRoad racing. Learn from Multiple sources about how we can improve communication during the race and race week for that matter. Bfg has an amazing radio system. Maybe they can make suggestions.

We probably need separate tracking data. One set is a secure system for to review race date SCORE current system seems to work adequately for that. Then we need a secure system that only SCORE OPS has access that will provide better real time data on it's own bandwidth. It also would be great to have "communication" capability between the race vehicle and SCORE. Cars could use voice similar to the current IRC system and "bikes" could use a loud whistle to alert the rider SCORE OPS sees a problem. Have the rider be able (through a single button press) to text back to SCORE Ops either OK, mechanical or Code Red. If no reply is sent during a set time to respond then SCORE will call a Code Red.
Finally a friends and family tracker unit (maybe the Spot unit) can be used for everyone else to follow.

There also need to be communication between the aircraft brought down to help with the race. This race had at least 13 helicopters and additional fixed wing aircraft. There should be a system for them to talk. This would be an area that could be improved on tremedously.

Safety isn't a competiive issue, all racers deserve it.

These are just some of the things that I think could be explored. Will they all work, probably not but the discussion certainly needs to begin.
I agree with you 100% and I think the conversation needs to be done. However, faster and more efficient response time measures and better tracking will take more money from teams, and quite frankly people will complain about the cost of fees. How many times do you hear people complain about the entry fee NOW, including what you already get. SCORE Medical Helo, SCORE Ops, Trackers and etc. You can't make everyone happy but you can make everyone mad. It also coincides with the topic of the amount of classes. SCORE realistically can not cover EVERYONE at once. Less classes = More competition. Less classes also means less racers, but theoretically better safety focus. If we want to take it MUCH further, it will take money and I know that 50% of racers will be willing to pay and it will piss off the other 50%. People will complain that SCORE only cares about the Trophy Trucks and the "High Dollar Teams" and the fight for a middle/ affordable ground will continue, but until it's done we will have to accept what we get. If SCORE at next years Baja 1000 or Baja 500 made the entry fee $5,000-$10,000, it won't make everyone happy but it might make you feel safer if there is better, faster technology and more Emergency vehicles for EVERYONE, Trophy Truck to Sportsman racer. Roger has been pushing the idea of a North American Dakar series and if you were to compare the "Professionalism" of Dakar vs. SCORE, it doesn't even hold a candle. I am all for new, better and faster safety precautions but it will take a collective effort and it won't make people happy but that's what needs to be done. There will always be that degree of Human error, like what you believe is the cause for Kurt's "delayed" response time, but that is something that will never change nor can it be predicted and I think that is primarily what made everyone a bit fired up with your original post, I know I was, respectfully. I can imagine your frustration with KTM, SCORE, and whoever else you believe was involved but I think learning from this and celebrating Kurt's life is what Kurt would want, not a blame game. Everything is hindsight at this point, it's time to move forward, learn, grow and modernize our sport.

Steve Rogers

I agree with you 100% and I think the conversation needs to be done. However, faster and more efficient response time measures and better tracking will take more money from teams, and quite frankly people will complain about the cost of fees. How many times do you hear people complain about the entry fee NOW, including what you already get. SCORE Medical Helo, SCORE Ops, Trackers and etc. You can't make everyone happy but you can make everyone mad. It also coincides with the topic of the amount of classes. SCORE realistically can not cover EVERYONE at once. Less classes = More competition. Less classes also means less racers, but theoretically better safety focus. If we want to take it MUCH further, it will take money and I know that 50% of racers will be willing to pay and it will piss off the other 50%. People will complain that SCORE only cares about the Trophy Trucks and the "High Dollar Teams" and the fight for a middle/ affordable ground will continue, but until it's done we will have to accept what we get. If SCORE at next years Baja 1000 or Baja 500 made the entry fee $5,000-$10,000, it won't make everyone happy but it might make you feel safer if there is better, faster technology and more Emergency vehicles for EVERYONE, Trophy Truck to Sportsman racer. Roger has been pushing the idea of a North American Dakar series and if you were to compare the "Professionalism" of Dakar vs. SCORE, it doesn't even hold a candle. I am all for new, better and faster safety precautions but it will take a collective effort and it won't make people happy but that's what needs to be done. There will always be that degree of Human error, like what you believe is the cause for Kurt's "delayed" response time, but that is something that will never change nor can it be predicted and I think that is primarily what made everyone a bit fired up with your original post, I know I was, respectfully. I can imagine your frustration with KTM, SCORE, and whoever else you believe was involved but I think learning from this and celebrating Kurt's life is what Kurt would want, not a blame game. Everything is hindsight at this point, it's time to move forward, learn, grow and modernize our sport.
I think that cost is going to be an issue it always is. If we look at things like what could $100 or $200 per entry provide in the form of enhanced communications. I think it could be huge a "game changer". I love weatherman, he has absolutely been incredible. We can never repay him for all that he's done. However, now is the time to upgrade its not the time to say its always worked in the past. We need to do better, the technology exists. I'm sure what I'm about to say will be taken the wrong way but I'm going to say it anyway and I think you'll agree...

There are many millionaires and even some billionaires that race with us. They have been doing things for their own efforts to increase their own safety because frankly, they are worth a crapload and don't want to have left stones unturned when it comes to their safety and their lives. In a lot instances the livelihoods hoods of a lot of people count on them being in their businesses and for their jobs. Getting seriously injured or dying is bad business. They want to improve the odds in their favor. Spending the money on safety is a good investment because they know they are worth it.

Why don't we see if those measures are scaleable for everyone to access and make racing as safe as we can. It Mexico, it's Baja and its racing but it's not a deathwish. Let's do better.

mikerd400

I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, I also want to keep desert racing affordable for all to race. I would gladly pay a few hundred extra per race for better tracking and emergency response. I know the Dakar entry is about 20k, but I'm curious what the actual tracking costs, so we can see if it's feasible. Also, the more we look into effective tracking, the technology will get better and the costs will come down.