winch mounted on race truck???

baja619

Reaction
We have ran a WARN Winch a couple of times when racing class7. It saved out ass along with many others during several races.

Definitely a great idea for Baja Races.

Reaction
It's a lot of weight to hang way out in front of the front axle. Why not use one of the receiver mount winches, carry it in a bed rack, and then you can attach it to front or rear of the truck as need be?

Wild bill

Reaction
I've seen some protrucks with a small 2000 lb winch that was detachable. Probably weighed 20 max.

57Racer

Reaction
We are considering that very thing in our next truck build. As of right now we think we are going to run a configuration that goes something like...Truck mounted to a Looped Pull Strap mounted to a Light-weight Winch, attached to ....maybe you of your nice enough to stop and help 2 probably really stuck dudes.
Plus we might add a front and rear slider hitch for the winch. Easy, compact and adds not much weight and a lot of insurance.

Wild bill

Reaction
You probably will need to snatch block the winch to get any real pull.

darinz

Reaction
You maybe interested in how a lot of Winch Challenge guys (from Australia and NZ) fit their winches in the rear and run the rope out the front along the chasis rails. I've being running one in my previous truck and are planning it for my current build. Previously had a Warn 8274 with custom twin motor setup (and a lot of other mods) sitting behind the rear axle. Great for weight distrubition.
My current build, D21 pathfinder, solid axles front and rear, 18" front travel 24" rear, turboed VH45 so about 400rwhp, I am fitting a hydraulic winch. That will be rear mounted with the rope (12mm Dynamica) will running along the chassis to the front. If you mount the winch right then you can pull the rope out the back via a pulley block to winch backwards.
The NZ Offroad racing series (ORANZ) has a class (class 6) that is basically for winch challenge trucks. ie factory chassis and body, road legal but anything else goes. While it isn't pure desert racings from the endurance point of view, some of the speeds are comparable.

Co-Dog

Reaction
It's a lot of weight to hang way out in front of the front axle. Why not use one of the receiver mount winches, carry it in a bed rack, and then you can attach it to front or rear of the truck as need be?
That is the setup we use. Of course, since we started carrying it, we haven't needed it.:D

Reaction
They don't weigh as much as you think. My 6000lb Ramsey Winch only weighs 45lbs, which is nothing on a 5000lb truck. I set it up, and the 2000lb winch I use for my 1600 in Baja, so that it can be hung from any tube on the chassis 8 inches wide. That way I can pull from the front or rear bumper as well as side rails in case of a rollover correction. I've never had to use either yet (knock on wood) but I was glad to know it was there a few times. It is mounted inside the car on the 1600 and in the middle of trucks.

Reaction
They don't weigh as much as you think.

I didn't think they weighed that much but was of the understanding that any weight at the extreme ends of a vehicle were to be avoided as weight in such a position has a negative impact on handling far in excess of what one would think.

Co-Dog

Reaction
I didn't think they weighed that much but was of the understanding that any weight at the extreme ends of a vehicle were to be avoided as weight in such a position has a negative impact on handling far in excess of what one would think.

Definitely do not want to carry it on the front or rear mounts. We tried both. The winch got damaged both ways. It turned out that weight wasn't the issue to be worried about as much as the winch surviving impacts and vibration. Now its mounted in the middle of the cage towards the rear and is still intact after several races.

jeff

Reaction
Most of the competition style winches are actually fairly light in comparison to the full size models. A Warn 9K comp winch weighs about 55lbs with 50' of synthetic rope. As previously mentioned being able to effectively pull in the correct direction is key. The slower, cheaper, lighter option is two 100' sections of synthetic rope and a Hi-Lift. The Hi-Lift won't kill your battery but used improperly might just kill you.

I have a built in 2" hitch tube on the rear of my prerunner and tow bar attachment points on the front. With the winch I can pull myself backward out of whatever I got myself into. With some creativity I can pull forward by looping the line under the tube work and out the front clevis to a snatch block. The tow bar attachment point makes flat towing safe and easy (something I've already done a few times). I have basically the same setup on my Jeep and now that I've got the winch I don't get stuck. I've only used the winch to tow other people out or move big stuff off a trail. Having a winch is better than having to call for a tow.

Aloha

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
In 1998 at the baja 1000 collins had one mounted to the rear of his truck "just in case" well he never needed it and still win the class 8 overall his team mate larry ragland running the TT said "I don't need one" lost the race to Ivan stewart larry got stuck trying to catch Ivan after larry lost his rear brakes from a flat tire that ripped out the rear brake lines causing him to blow a corner and getting stuck. These days i think that a TT that has ANY problems IE a flat or blows a turn ETC. Has no chance of winning any race the trucks are so close that If their is a problem your done

gunit

Reaction
I ran a Warn 4000# UTV winch mounted between the frame rails near the rear on my stock full. It was well worth having, it only weighed 25# and was enough to pull me back out of the silt beds several times. It can turn hours of digging into minutes of winching.

zoomy97acr

Reaction
Dont forget a good land anchor... PulPal makes the best. I wish i would have had one at my last race, would have saved me 2 hours in the silt!

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction

We ran one in all the long Mexico races 500-1000, mounted behind the cab above the fuel cell with a receiver front and back, saved our buts in the 1000, the best part of having it is when in doubt of a line without a winch you know you would be screwed, with the winch you could take more chances and not fear, eliminated the STOP and think too long about it part IMO.

Kid Rok

Reaction
I have been thinking about this on my build, but thought I might get flamed because I have never seen one on any of the race trucks. I was thinking a mid mount 8274 run the cable under the cab and out the front. After reading I think I will do a warn comp stored in the bed, with mounts front and rear. I also like the idea of go first think later.

desertspeed

Reaction
I have been thinking about this as well- I have been debating on whether or not to keep my 4WD. If I got rid of the transfer case, front diff, etc I would be getting rid of WAY more weight than a winch.

For those of you who did use a winch to get out of silt, sand, etc, what did you use as an anchor? Pull pals are pretty heavy (40lbs) and are big and cumbersome to carry. I know you can always bury your spare tire, but that takes a ridiculous amount of time. I haven't found any other good options for silt/sand, which is mainly what I am worried about getting stuck in.

I drive down in Baja and many times am the only vehicle, so I will not always have an option of winching off another vehicle.

Co-Dog

Reaction
I have been thinking about this as well- I have been debating on whether or not to keep my 4WD. If I got rid of the transfer case, front diff, etc I would be getting rid of WAY more weight than a winch.

For those of you who did use a winch to get out of silt, sand, etc, what did you use as an anchor? Pull pals are pretty heavy (40lbs) and are big and cumbersome to carry. I know you can always bury your spare tire, but that takes a ridiculous amount of time. I haven't found any other good options for silt/sand, which is mainly what I am worried about getting stuck in.

I drive down in Baja and many times am the only vehicle, so I will not always have an option of winching off another vehicle.
If I was going it alone, the winch would be nice, but without another vehicle, I would go with a Hi-Lift.

Frightening to change a tire with, but will function as a come-along in a pinch. They work miracles in the sand. Jack it up, and shove it over.

Getting out of the silt without help is a miracle all in itself. Usually nothing to anchor to, and you can't bury a tire with more silt. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe that a tall Hi-Lift jack is the answer to that one also.