Winches on race cars

Rcamp99

Reaction
I remember seeing a winch on a couple of Class 7’s. As a 4wd racer, I thought it was a good idea.
I know of a few trucks that had them on mounts they could attach them front or rear and they stored in a central location. Saved the one guys ass a few times being able to make things happen with his co dog while others waited for chase trucks or outside help

Vista Racing

Reaction
I did not miss the pull pal reference. I addressed and noted how bad they suck.

I reread your post and didn't really see your point here. Honest question because I've never tried it... do you know they don't work in silt? Seems like if you get it down in there it would probably be okay but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually attempted it.

Tube ride

Reaction
6C5F718B-B296-4227-9B0C-2F0FA07F2337.jpeg44AB2150-A607-4762-BF31-7AD2E8DA9F60.jpegThe “ DEAD MAN EARTH ANCHOR “ tons of uses rolls up tight and light.

51rcr

Reaction
I reread your post and didn't really see your point here. Honest question because I've never tried it... do you know they don't work in silt? Seems like if you get it down in there it would probably be okay but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually attempted it.
Yes they work. I have personally used one along with a warn 4500# on a 6000# jeep. Once was seemed like a hard pull single line so double lined so we weren't hard on anything. 5 minutes. thats getting out hooking up jumper cable style conectors and running rope back in. The class 11 that got stuck a little ways away that was using a handy man sure was glad we got free and gave them a tug. I can tell you it would have took way longer then that since we tried for 5 min before we were like we got the right tool and we would be out already. OH one time it popped right out easy with an easy efforless tug by hand, the next it wasnt as easy and the jeep was right there nest to it so instade of messing with it at all hooked it up quick popped it out with no effort.

AZ7000'

Reaction
how do they work in fluffy dry cocoa powder 4 feet deep?, i can see them working in wet beach sand, ( ' WHERE'S MY CHASE CREW???, WAAAAAA'!!
Great if you put your spare on it! ;)

51rcr

Reaction
The original poster asked why winches aren't on a lot of 2wd race cars. I offered my opinion. I see a lot of jacks, shovels, traction boards, and tow straps on race vehicles because they are useful. Those items are what will get a car unstuck. You want to use a winch on your race car. Knock yourself out.

I did not miss the pull pal reference. I addressed and noted how bad they suck.

I want to be clear and I think I have been clear. I'm talking only about desert racing. KOH is a different story, Mud racing is different story. Four wheeling in the forest is a different story. There are definitely applications where a winch is valuable tool to have.

I always take a winch desert racing but it's on my trailer for loading disabled race cars where it is useful.
Again you obviously do not know the simplest basics of winching. You also see them with those tools stuck for hours and usually another vehicle there when they get out if its before then.
I know you dont own a pul pal. If you really do i would like to buy it from you for scrap price.

jon coleman

Reaction
Again you obviously do not know the simplest basics of winching. You also see them with those tools stuck for hours and usually another vehicle there when they get out if its before then.
I know you dont own a pul pal. If you really do i would like to buy it from you for scrap price.
you know what else would work are those construction trash/rock& sand type bags, , they are tuff& just a little bigger than that pull pal

Attachments

• download (3).jpeg
    download (3).jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 34
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 34

Wendell #527

Reaction
Website
www.riff-raffdesertracing.com
Both answers are right. The 100# on a 6000# truck is relatively insignificant. On a VW powered buggie an extra 100# is a deal killer. We were in between so we opted for a 15 pound come-a-long. Weight is the reason they aren’t on every desert race car though. But for sure a winch works in the silt, sand, hi-centered on a rock, whatever.

cjohnson

Reaction
I have not used one either but I was thinking about buying one. So I did a lot of research. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos where fairly knowledgeable people tried to use them in ideal conditions and they could not get them to work. If the ground was a little too hard the pull pall would not bite into the dirt. It would just drag across the top while the operator tried to get the the blade at the right angle. If the ground was loose then the pull pal would not hold and just pull out. For four wheeling in a field in Nebraska it would probably work fine.

I also read reviews and the vast majority of people said they were useless pieces of junk.

I would think as soon as the pull pal disturbed the hard pack under the loose silt it would just create more silt.

cjohnson

Reaction
Yes you are finally getting it. You have to have another vehicle. BTW I clearly said Pull pals are junk. Why would I own one?

51rcr

Reaction
Yes you are finally getting it. You have to have another vehicle. BTW I clearly said Pull pals are junk. Why would I own one?
I guess people cant figure them outjust like a winch. Easy enough anytime i have used one. Oh i got it, Good racing tip, If they are standing there with a strap keep racing past. They didnt equip themselves with the right tools to get out by themselves.