Wing weight

jon coleman

static, or through the mph down force range?, ive wondered that myself, exactly how practical the wing was, or was it just for cool factor

GATRELL

static, or through the mph down force range?, ive wondered that myself, exactly how practical the wing was, or was it just for cool factor
Primarily just the weight of the wing itself and it's high center of gravity. Coolness factor of the charts. I vaguely remember a jeepster type jeep had one back in the early 80's when I was a kid and they said it helped but you were pretty much maxed out on capable speed about the same time you would notice the down force.

Bro_Gill

I have built a couple and there isn't much weight to them. Big Oly had some mechanical items that would have upped weight a little, but I have heard both Big Oly and the BFG Blazer actually gained high speed stability with the wings in down force mode that help high speed stability, Knowing that the builders were pretty smart, I assume they figured the befits outweighed the weight. Guys like that learned in other forms of racing that you only have to win by 1 second to still be the winner.

jon coleman

i could imagine the benifits, i drove friends really old school cls 8 out at Ocotillo on Thanksgiving, anything above 70 mph and you Better stay in front of your steering, somthing to stick the rear would Definitely be a plus

brad inch

i brought this car in 1976, but it did not come with the wing. Malcom Smith won the 1975 baja 500 with it.i dont think it did much but it sure was cool. Big Oly is a different story.

JDDurfey

There probably wasn't much wind tunnel testing done on those old race trucks. But it would be cool to see some data if there was.

Do any of the big race teams or builders do any wind tunnel testing now? I know it isn't cheap, but the data could prove to be quite valuable. On the other hand...what is the point of doing wind tunnel testing when you are trying to push a brick across the desert at 100 plus mph.

Rocket 450

Bro_Gill

I know many years ago, Varnes got some wind tunnel time for development of some of his 1600 buggies and he found plenty of speed was available if you did the work. As to cars with 3 times the horsepower than they can put to the ground efficiently, I don't know how much it matters.