Words to live by

BGRANT

Reaction
This was from Bajanet: 2 or 4 wheels!

Re: Kudos to DP Racing's Jimmy Lopez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To All who race or ever will race, read this and live this.

Jimmy Lopez did exactly as I would have expected from him. He put his goal aside to help a downed rider.

It is YOUR RESPONSIBILTY as a racer to stop, evaluate, render aid and assist with the evacuation of and injured rider (A human life) and to put aside your status in the event until you are relieved of the responsibility. If there is only one person with the downed racer then you stop to see if he/she needs more help you will probably be asked to deliever the messege to a pit or check point, if not you continue on your way.

David Kamo and Destry Abbott did exactly this on August 16 for fellow racer Josh Morros at the National H&H in Wendiver Utah. Kamo took second, Abbott fourth and locked up the the National championship. This is what true racers do for each other. Good Karma for Desrty and David.

Jimmy did exactly that.

The only exception to this is if the downed rider is deliberatly waiving you to continue and not stop. Period! If the are not moving you have to stop.

Jimmy took control of the situation and without doubt changed the outcome for the better.

Great job Jimmy! Also Kudos to Mason as well.

The Karma came full circle for DP Racing on this day, Congrats to all invovled!

In closing, those of you that did not stop for Anthony you know who you are and you have to live with that decision.
I hope to never see you at the races or even on the trail for that matter. You do not deserve to be on the same course or trail as Kamo, Abbott, Lopez, Gillespee or Paul Krause. These people emulate what racers and champions are made of. Not you

My thoughts and prayers go out to Anthony and his family.

BB

crazyeye

Reaction
No doubt they did the right thing that is what every competitor should do. I know when I'm out on the trail if I see a downed rider I always stop and make sure their okay.

D

Dan McMillin

I went to High school with Jimmy and we graduated together in 2006. My family have supported/sponsored his racing efforts in District 38 a few years back, and we also help him out whenever we can at events we are racing together. Jimmy is a great rider, and not mention a great person. His kindheartedness, and high level professionalism does not surprise me! Right on dude!

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
This was from Bajanet: 2 or 4 wheels!

Re: Kudos to DP Racing's Jimmy Lopez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To All who race or ever will race, read this and live this.

Jimmy Lopez did exactly as I would have expected from him. He put his goal aside to help a downed rider.

It is YOUR RESPONSIBILTY as a racer to stop, evaluate, render aid and assist with the evacuation of and injured rider (A human life) and to put aside your status in the event until you are relieved of the responsibility. If there is only one person with the downed racer then you stop to see if he/she needs more help you will probably be asked to deliever the messege to a pit or check point, if not you continue on your way.

David Kamo and Destry Abbott did exactly this on August 16 for fellow racer Josh Morros at the National H&H in Wendiver Utah. Kamo took second, Abbott fourth and locked up the the National championship. This is what true racers do for each other. Good Karma for Desrty and David.

Jimmy did exactly that.

The only exception to this is if the downed rider is deliberatly waiving you to continue and not stop. Period! If the are not moving you have to stop.

Jimmy took control of the situation and without doubt changed the outcome for the better.

Great job Jimmy! Also Kudos to Mason as well.

The Karma came full circle for DP Racing on this day, Congrats to all invovled!

In closing, those of you that did not stop for Anthony you know who you are and you have to live with that decision.
I hope to never see you at the races or even on the trail for that matter. You do not deserve to be on the same course or trail as Kamo, Abbott, Lopez, Gillespee or Paul Krause. These people emulate what racers and champions are made of. Not you

My thoughts and prayers go out to Anthony and his family.

BB

What is the whole story forgive my not knowing......

fusionoffroad

Reaction
Website
www.c1lite.com
A LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A TROPHY . THIS YOUNG KID COULD HAVE DIED WITHOUT THE ASSISTANCE . THEY ARE TRUE HEROES OF THE SPORT AND WE NEED MORE LIKE THEM . WHO DID NOT STOP IM INTERESTED IN KNOWING . AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER IN A RACING CAREER YOU WILL NEED HALP FROM A OPPONANT AND IT IS NICE TO KNOW THESE GUYS ARE STILL OUT THERE . WITHOUT GOOD HEARTED PEOPLE i WOULDENT HAVE THE DRIVE TO CONTINUE RACING . WE ARE ALL A BIG FAMILY AND FROM TIME TO TIME WE NEED TO LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE AND HELP A STRUGGLING FAMILY MEMBER . GOOD THREAD BILL

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
Thank you for the great post. I am a member of Rovers MC and Anthony is one of our members. I too thank everyone who stopped for him. Along with those mentioned, I would also like to thank Matt Eddy and Ricky Braebeck. Matt and Anthony were racing out of a pit when the accident happened. Matt saw Anthony go down and believe me, it was bad! You can follow Anthony's progress by viewing the following thread on D-37:

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23305

The latest update as of yesterday is Anthony has undergone two surgeries on his broken leg. He is still unconcious. There has been some minor twitching in his eyelids. Other than that there is no improvement.

The Modica family and those riders who stopped for Anthony need your prayers. Prayers for Anthony's recovery, prayers for his family for the strength to get through this and prayers for the riders who stopped who may have seen things they were not prepared. They are true heroes.

You can also see updates on Josh Morros on the district 37 website here:
http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23207

Thank you to all the racers who stop for downed and injured racers. For those who think a $2.00 trophy or finisher pin is more important shame on you!

JJohnson

Reaction
Awesome Thread! Big-ups to those guys that stopped thats awesome. Karma, what goes around comes around and thats awesome that you guys stopped to help out.

eastcounty61

Reaction
Website
www.youtube.com
Matt and Ricky were both there before i was and were a HUGE part of the whole effort to get Anthony the help he needed and also a teammate of mine Mason stopped as well as Paul Kruase who showed up after myself and had me continue on as he stayed. All of our thoughts and prayers with the Modica family.

lakelaurashawn

Reaction
Life is far to precious not to stop and evaluate the situation. As Bill mentioned as least slow down to get a thumbs up from those that have already stopped to make sure that additional help is not needed. In most cases a carrying a simple message - i.e. mile marker and type of help needed - to the next check point is enough to keep on going; This only takes minutes.

In the Baja 1000 last year a team mate of mine got off in a G-Out. Simple crash, but the impact sheared his wrist in seven places from his forearm. Based on his location and the trucks/buggies that were coming through help could not get to him until the morning. He stayed the night with a co-dawg who kept him alert, helped him with additional water and to some level quite possibly saved his life. My teammate was a little delirious when picked up and had another person not stopped, who knows what could have happened.

Point is - like Bill said - it only takes a few seconds to be a part of someones life in the big picture. Today, my teammate is fine. He has undergone at least four surgeries, countless hours of physical therapy and is just now getting back on a bike.

Lake

HOSTYLE ONE

Reaction
This is a perfect example on the neccessity for a stronger safety focus in our sport. DIRT SPORTS has addressed it with a very well planned test, recommendation, and observence of the use of saftey equipment. It would be great to see a follow up artical focussing on issues like this one here. Our sport is inhearently dangerous. Having raced since 98 till the 500 last year with no major accidents, too three roll overs (one quite violent) this past year. (what the h*** by the way) We as drivers should be more responcible for each others safety more willfully and with more diligence. I believe we are as a whole very attune to each others well being, we just lack the knowledge in which to help or aid. Unfortunatly there will always be the 1% that self involved with no respect to others, LIFE I guess. For all the 99%'s we should try to obtain as much knowledge as to safety as possible for each of us racers. Think about how long the race you just won would loom in your thought's knowing you could have played th difference in another racers life, be cars, trucks or bikes, had the outcome of the injured racer was negative. Safety First!! Then lets go pound some dirt.

Very happy to hear you man is good. Hope he will be there to race the next race.

D
dan@hostyleracing.com
hostyleracing.com

Tomack

Reaction
you guys can trust me on this. Tony Would have stoped for anybody. I am glad that the idea of not stoping aint on my sholders... Cause that would be alot of preasure.

Matt and all involed: You all know when Tony over comes this, he will be so greatfull that words will not descibe. I know his family is including all of his friends along with myself.

Tony is a great person, I know when Chris Blais went down, he was there to do what ever he could. Even when Paul Krause was hurt he was there for him too. Tony has been around racing all of his life. From Dirt Bikes to Cars Tony has been a true racer, and athlete.

Like the quote from D2G" We are a band of brothers" Ricky Johnson. Ever racer Knows this!

I know Tony won't hold not stoping against any other rider that didn't or in fact drivers. If there were any. Thats just the type of heart he has.

Some of you all, will never have the chance of meeting Tony and the Modica family, and that just something you can't miss. This is a family that would do anything for anybody anywhere. Me being a good friend of Tony along with his other friends and contacts. are blessed to have him in our life.

Get well buddy!

BGRANT

Reaction
Just curious, was he wearing a Leatt? I know it probably wouldn't have helped on the head injury, but I am shopping for one and I am just interested.
Hope his progress continues.

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
Anthony Modica

From the D-37 message board today:

Ok guys Tony really needs us to pray for him now, as his condition has dramatically dropped. Please pray that God gives the doctor healing hands to fix his leg, because it isn't looking too good right now. Stay strong Modicas we are here for you.

Here's the thread: http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23305

sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/Pace

Bradley Pace
4x EXPERT
Acerbis, Two Trick R&D, Sharpshooters Photos
RUTS

BGRANT

Reaction
Went riding today and I couldn't help but think of Anthony the whole time I rode. I did not know him, but he was a fellow enthusiast. I wish him and his family all the best.