• Forum membership has its advantages....

Workshops & Garages.....

Ted_Deits

Is that the plastic-style interlocking tile in the garage? How's the durability of that stuff?

It is called Swiss Trax http://www.swisstrax.com It is very durable. 5200 lbs per sq in. We run 40,000 lb RV's over it all day long. No issues at all. It comes in 15" tiles that snap together like Legos. My kids (12 and 15) do all the installations for me. They can do 1300 sq ft in about 6 hours.

Here is an article posted about this project-
Six Most Extravagent Storage Companies -
http://www.abcselfstore.co.uk/articles/six-most-extravagent-storage-companies.html

DMaurer1899

It is called Swiss Trax http://www.swisstrax.com It is very durable. 5200 lbs per sq in. We run 40,000 lb RV's over it all day long. No issues at all. It comes in 15" tiles that snap together like Legos. My kids (12 and 15) do all the installations for me. They can do 1300 sq ft in about 6 hours.

Here is an article posted about this project-
Six Most Extravagent Storage Companies -
http://www.abcselfstore.co.uk/articles/six-most-extravagent-storage-companies.html

Was wondering about stains and welding... Also oils and dirt. Any complaints?

DC Racing

I got nothing on you guys.. I wish i had a place like that to work on my truck
Saw the truck in the pic, then realized this was an old thread since it lives in my garage now...sorry Eric.

photo2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Ted_Deits

Was wondering about stains and welding... Also oils and dirt. Any complaints?
To be honest, most of the vehicles in this project are in the high seven digits. The owners here are not inclined to
do any welding.

The tiles are plastic, and as such do not lend themselves to welding. They are more of a Garage Jewelry item.

DMaurer1899

To be honest, most of the vehicles in this project are in the high seven digits. The owners here are not inclined to
do any welding.

The tiles are plastic, and as such do not lend themselves to welding. They are more of a Garage Jewelry item.
Yeah, I like the look. Might just be easiest to go with epoxy.

kenaroo

Most epoxies will not hold up to welding either.. If i was building a shop/garage to fab in all I would do is have the concrete polished to a 3000 grit and add desifier to the floor... everything else is just going to wear off and look like crap eventually. you could add color while polishing too.

ChrisW

Most epoxies will not hold up to welding either.. If i was building a shop/garage to fab in all I would do is have the concrete polished to a 3000 grit and add desifier to the floor... everything else is just going to wear off and look like crap eventually. you could add color while polishing too.
Ground & Polished concrete is the way to go....We just had our business offices done....They grind it till the aggregate is exposed and then polish....it's beautiful and indestructable.

Attachments

Last edited:

ChrisW

Wow. That does look great!!

What sort of per sq ft cost?
I am getting epoxy installed at around $2.50 sq ft.
I had 10,000 sq. ft done so the price was pretty reasonable when compared to other floorings...I'm betting smaller spaces would be around $5-$6 per square foot. I used Surfacing Solutions in Temecula.

mebuildit

Getting ready to build a new house and 2500sqft shop. Here is what I have now.

ErikIrvine

I am in escrow for our new house out here in AZ, real stoked. It has a 32 ft wide by 40 deep steel shop on the property which I plan to make the new man cave. It isn't insulated and has a 22 ft ceiling height in the center. I wanted run joists across the 32 ft span and have a 10 ft first floor height and then an attic for parts storage on top. 2x12s can't span 32 ft, TJI 560s cost $7,000. Anybody have any ideas for something cheaper then TJIs? Needs to support a drywall ceiling, plywood second floor and light storage (I was using 50psf). Heavy timber, steel, and trusses all (I would guess) would cost more than TJIs.

Im hoping somebody will say "run double upped 2x12s @ 12 in O.C. And it will be plenty good"

jps1145

I am in escrow for our new house out here in AZ, real stoked. It has a 32 ft wide by 40 deep steel shop on the property which I plan to make the new man cave. It isn't insulated and has a 22 ft ceiling height in the center. I wanted run joists across the 32 ft span and have a 10 ft first floor height and then an attic for parts storage on top. 2x12s can't span 32 ft, TJI 560s cost $7,000. Anybody have any ideas for something cheaper then TJIs? Needs to support a drywall ceiling, plywood second floor and light storage (I was using 50psf). Heavy timber, steel, and trusses all (I would guess) would cost more than TJIs.

Im hoping somebody will say "run double upped 2x12s @ 12 in O.C. And it will be plenty good"
Are you opposed to columns in the center of the space? 16' isn't bad for 2x12's. Run 3 or 4 4" steel columns with small I beams down the center of the space. You'll have a tough time finding 32' 2x12's anyway...

goofballracer

PAT DAILEY #1 FAN
crap I need a bigger garage!

ErikIrvine

I finally closed on the house and moved into the new shop. I plan to use it as is and change a few things in the future like;

Add a 2 post lift
Add a second floor, supported from the top of the sea containers, for storage
insulate the first floor ceiling
add stem walls on all four sides and insulate to keep it cool during the AZ summers
Add a personnel door going to one of the sea containers and use it for storage

Right now it is 1300SF with 600SF of sea container storage

Attachments

Dezert00Taco

I finally closed on the house and moved into the new shop. I plan to use it as is and change a few things in the future like;

Add a 2 post lift
Add a second floor, supported from the top of the sea containers, for storage
insulate the first floor ceiling
add stem walls on all four sides and insulate to keep it cool during the AZ summers
Add a personnel door going to one of the sea containers and use it for storage

Right now it is 1300SF with 600SF of sea container storage

PM me when you want to buy a 2 post lift. I work for a lift manufacturer. any one who needs a 2 or 4 post or specialty lift can pm me if they would like.