worn heims?

kjmiller1

Reaction
I have a rattle up front, and I'm a freak about keeping my truck solid. So this week I replaced the ball joints because they were the original and it seemed like they could definately make that noise, which cured some other noises but not the rattle. It seems to happen when I go over little bumps. My questions are, when heims go bad on shocks can you always see the play, and when the suspension goes up and down real quick, is this when they are likely to make a rattle noise? I used a pry bar to see if I can, but it seemed solid. Its a 93 f150, and the only thing I haven't replaced suspension wise in the past year and a half are the Ibeam-kingpin bushings. Thanks in advance for any input

tedmales

Reaction
if they are coil overs, i am not sure, but if they are just shock try grabbing them and shaking, my fox 2.0s rattle a little the whole time i have had them, drives me nuts, but i am to lazy to pull them off and replace the heim.if they are coil overs, maybe unload the shock and see if you can rattle it around. good luck

cleartoy

Reaction
On the truck, just grab a shock and see how easy it twists.

Off the truck just twist the uniball and see if it is easy or hard to move. New ones are difficult to ove by hand. Worn ones can rotate 360 degrees.

1992f150

Reaction
on my truck i took off the shocks (2.0 fox) and put in new bolts, drove around and it was going clack clack clack over bumps. Grab the shaft and try to move it side to side, if it has play then try just tightening the bolts, it fixed the noise I had because the new bolts werent tight enough.