worst silt bed?

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
East of Tonopah.....Its HUGE and long. Vegas to Reno has been there twice since 2003. Brutal.

harleys dad

Reaction
Not even close, old Mint 400,the silt beds around Punta Prieta dwarfs any of the ones you or Pat listed. The old Mint 400 had the deepest, it would flow over the top of the car like water and seemed to have no bottom. It is a fact that if you dared or were forced to stop in them you certainly would have no way of opening your doors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHROMOLY77

Reaction
baja 1000 2006 a section before cd. constitucion i think it was race mile 840 or something like that its like 4 miles of silt .....

mawtrophykart

Reaction
Fallujah

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Not even close, old Mint 400,the silt beds around Punta Prieta dwarfs any of the ones you or Pat listed. The old Mint 400 had the deepest, it would flow over the top of the car like water and seemed to have no bottom. It is a fact that if you dared or were forced to stop in them you certainly would have no way of opening your doors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah the Mint!!! I remember getting stuck in our 5/1600 in 88. That was the year they had to stop the race due to high winds! That was a gnarly silt bed. The Tonopah one is pretty bad. Its so long.

AzBajaman

Big Az Dad
Reaction
Tres Hermanos was pretty bad we were pitting for Rick Johnson Agave Motorsports Pro-Truck Baja 1000 (2007) and it was pretty crazy with all the other cars and trucks stuck in that section.....

SteveS

Reaction
VORRA had a race in yearington NV right after VTR a few years ago . i was prerunning and stopped just out side of the silt bed . my girl friend wanted to take a picture of somthing, she walked into a hole and was swallowed like she fell into a pool . the silt moved like water , from head to toe she was covered in the devil powder as she called it .i no longer have the girl but the memory is priceless . not the biggest but a good one

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
the entire 2008 VEGAS TO RENO course !!!.... that was a silt course! not any particular bed, it was slit for like 30 miles at a time!! worst thing ive ever seen!! that stuff was like talcum powder !!

Tipracer

Reaction
baja 1000 2006 a section before cd. constitucion i think it was race mile 840 or something like that its like 4 miles of silt .....

I did that section and while it was very, very tough(cars were stuck for hours and hours) there have been worse, I seem to recall a race in 2005 that was really bad..

Forty1Racing

Reaction
If anyone has said east of Tonapah I second that.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Ha ha

Dave is good with old Mint stuff but....

In 2003 SCORE attempted some of the Cahapalla silt beds. Huge deep ruts with BIG cholla cactus everywhere on the sides. After our crew and others spent the night on opening weekend of pre running SCORE re-routed. McMillins, Scaronis, Steinberger, us and many others gave input and SCORE deemed it not passable. For those of you that have raced in Baja and have been around a while, Dave this includes you, you know anywhere NEAR Chapalla is not to be taken lightly. Back in the day the Chapalla Dry Lake bed was a major part of the course but the SILT was so gnarly that they had to pave a highway though it!

Chapalla. A tire store where they sometimes have fuel and always have food. It is on highway 1 where a turn to the East takes you to Cocos, a turn to the west takes you to the never never of the 7 sisters and the silt beds from hell.

For fun I took a bike trip through here in May 2008 and it wasn't to bad but those hill climbs I remembered were even bigger than my imagination said.

FYI - Tonapah is baby pooh.

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
Reaction
my worst experience with silt was the 2007 MDR Dash and the first 15 miles of the loop was hills of endless silts. New lines farther outside of the course began to form as we would come back for another lap. It was in my 11 car, we got stuck 3 times and still came out with the win. So far my most memorable race to date

Lucho

Reaction
wheres the worst and longest silt bed? i say mexico san felipe?

This is probably the worst. There are three others in Baja that come close to it. Catavina to the Beach, the ride from hell!

Attachments

• 09-WORST-SLIT-BEDS-IN-BAJA.jpg
    09-WORST-SLIT-BEDS-IN-BAJA.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 330

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
Reaction

You know it's bad when the car bottoms out.