Would you rather go first in qualifying, or last.

dan200

#BSF200
I was talking about about this with several different guys when I was at Parker and they had mixed opinions on the matter. Most guys I bench race with at my trailer have the same opinions on things but this was not one of those subjects where everyone agreed. Their reasoning wasn't the same either.

We all know that qualifying is important. Super important. A good track position is basically a necessity when you're trying to win. Less dust, less traffic - its just better out front.

But in qualifying its just you and your equipment and the course. Dust/traffic aren't really thing.

So, I ask "Would you rather go first in qualifying, or last, or in the middle, or wherever?"

Please explain your answer.

JDDurfey

I've never qualified, nor probably will. But, I know that following someone else's tracks if there are any can be a help.

So I wouldn't want to go first, but I wouldn't want to go after the qualifying course is all chewed up. Reading breaking bumps is a great way to judge the speed of a corner and how much you should brake. At this years Parker qualifying I bet that those that went after Voss took it a little easy where he crashed. They might have gone faster through there otherwise, but him crashing there gave everyone "notice" that they better watch out. And while most probably use caution there and may have had a slower time, at least they didn't wad their truck up and have to sit out a race.

So, I would want to go around 10th.

Baja Bryan

1st before the course gets tore up... Look at the hole that developed in Parker that took Voss out because he drew late.. Also deep ruts form.. Hard to get quick info on course changes..

offroadracer516

I qualified 1st at Rage in 1600 and Battle At Primm. I was the 7th or so car to go off the line at Rage and was the 1st to go off at Bap. Would of been nice to have more to bank off of at Rage. And going off 1st at Bap gave me the wettest track so a bit slippery in places. I would rather start midpack.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
I'm not the strongest qualifier so take this how you want but it really depends where. When we first ran the vineyard qualifying track for the 500, I was first to go. By the time my Brother (Luke) went, around 12th I think, the course had opened up quite a bit and got faster; corners were wider, 90 degrees were straightened out, fences gone, and so on and so forth. So that helps to be mid to back of the pack there I'd think. For Parker, up front for sure. The holes there get bad as we saw with Voss this year, or me two years ago. I thought the Ojos qualifying course was the best because you had to drive the road, and couldn't cut corners as there were gullies, ruts, and ledges you had to stay on. It was a true Baja qualifier. The Vineyard is getting better but I'll just say that it's scary as hell racing on those slippery roads. The Parker qualifier this year was great too. I prefer a longer qualifying course. Ideally, somewhere between 5th and 10th is where I'd HOPE to be for any qualifying course. The good qualifiers like Andy, Voss, RG, Harley, Menzies, BJ, Luke, Dondel, and the Sourapas Sisters, will be fast regardless when it comes to where qualifying is and where they draw.

Last edited:

Brett Sourapas

Absolutely there can be a slight advantage on draw position depending on where qualifying is taking place. I have been a victim of drawing first at the 2016 Mint 400 and they watered the track 30 seconds before I left the line and almost blew right through the first corner and the infield was very slick. I agree with Dan, what I have learned in the past 2 years (at least in Trophy Truck) is that the fast guys will always be up front no matter where they draw. Just depends now if you have to sit out there for hours waiting for your run.

Last edited:

EMS702

Rescue 1
At Pahrump last year a big boulder appeared in the turn I was watching. So after about the 5th truck through others had to go over the berm instead of bank right through it. Too big of a boulder for me to remove between racers.

Jerry

I have only qualified once and that was at RAGE. I was literally the last guy to qualify after I caught the guy ahead of me on my original run. The course deteriorated a lot after we did the prerun. The hard packed material was scarified and turned into sandy gravel and that obliterates horse power especially Pump Gas HP!

I would agree with what has been said about being one of the first 5-10 to qualify. The track would be burned in but not too soft yet.

Waiting sucks. Going hard on cold brakes sucks too.

Dave In Florida

A couple years ago we volunteered for qualifying at the Mint. We were thinking of driving our rental kia across the race course and parking inside the loop to get out of everyone's way. Well after qualifying, we considered ourselves VERY lucky for not having done so, because the course went from a graded road to 2 feet of the softest sand and random uncovered boulders and steel. There is no way in hell qualifying anything but first is an advantage.

Yes, these unlimited cars have gobs of power, but that thick ass sand still robs plenty of it. And I damn sure wouldn't want to have hit one of those boulders.

hendersoned

Did the first qualifier today wad up and catch fire? I hope the driver and codon are ok, so much for first

JDDurfey

Much props to Harley for grabbing the pole on a nasty qualifying loop. Man can wheel a buggy!

Interesting side note on the thread about the ideal draw slot for qualifying. Top 5:
Harley-43rd
Apdaly-54th
Stacy (Daniel)-14th
Gruber (Dondel)-20th
Rob Mac-28th
I copied this from the thread about Qualifying. Very interesting to see that it really doesn't matter where you qualify if you are a top notch driver. If I am looking at the results correctly Harley was the 43rd out of 67 unlimited vehicles to run the course. And he still pulled the fastest time. His set up for the huge holes must be on point.

offroadracer516

I copied this from the thread about Qualifying. Very interesting to see that it really doesn't matter where you qualify if you are a top notch driver. If I am looking at the results correctly Harley was the 43rd out of 67 unlimited vehicles to run the course. And he still pulled the fastest time. His set up for the huge holes must be on point.
When you really want the pole, your taking the pole. That's what I have found in my experience.

BajaFand

That’s the only C1 car that handles like a truck. I can’t recall the rear ever kicking up like any other buggy does.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Jangaard

That’s the only C1 car that handles like a truck. I can’t recall the rear ever kicking up like any other buggy does.
I am not so sure I agree with you. This was last year. No doubt he drives it on the edge!

Baja Bryan

Its 100% buggy Class 1. That man can just drive it like no other. I dont think you can find a single TT driver say that was a qualification course that suits C1's. I think 1st lap he will hold the lead but when the track gets beat up it will be tough to hold off the TT's

BajaFand

Its 100% buggy Class 1. That man can just drive it like no other. I dont think you can find a single TT driver say that was a qualification course that suits C1's. I think 1st lap he will hold the lead but when the track gets beat up it will be tough to hold off the TT's
I totally agree and what I said was at no discredit to Harley at all, hes got major skills and is a friend. What I meant is there is no other class 1 buggy that handles the rough quite like the Alpha. Just my opinion.

Robin Hood

I totally agree and what I said was at no discredit to Harley at all, hes got major skills and is a friend. What I meant is there is no other class 1 buggy that handles the rough quite like the Alpha. Just my opinion.

The credit goes to the driver, resources and funding. The "Alpha" has very little to do with it.