• Forum membership has its advantages....

Would you rather, Mint or ultra4 KOH?

Would you rather?

• Mint 400

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Ultra4 KOH

Votes: 35 72.9%

• Total voters

nimrod

KOOK!
They both get a ton of coverage with massive amounts of fans.
which one would be a bigger “boost” to a career?
Win the Mint 400 or the Ultra4 race at King of the Hammers?

dezert_nerd

KOH. Better coverage, enough said. Until the Martelli's can get on board with Dave's live coverage he had, there wont be a competition. Money is nice but neither will ever be able to hand out enough money to make a difference in this sport (Let's face it, what is Bryce really going to do with 100G?)

MTPyle

Personally I would love to race a KOH event.

The Mint is cool and iconic but I would love the logistics of racing, pitting, and camping in the same spot in Hammer Town. From a logistics standpoint the Mint is very challenging for us smaller teams.

I have never been to KOH, it looks amazing and everyone that goes absolutely loves it.

The Media coverage are great for both races. I would say Mint gets more traffic from non racers and general public for sponsors but KOH is targeted high attention for OffRoad sponsors.

Dave, you need to add a TTspec class to the event. I bet you would get a lot of trucks to show up.

Mike

BajaboundMoto

@nimrod - Be more specific. Win Mint in what? 16, no thanks. Moto OA, no thanks. Win the OA in a Class 1, Yes, only as bragging points. Some people "won the Mint 400" as the only car in their class. Probably the best "boost to your career" would be Mint OA UTV.

But, I still voted KOH Ultra4 OA

nimrod

KOOK!
@nimrod - Be more specific. Win Mint in what? 16, no thanks. Moto OA, no thanks. Win the OA in a Class 1, Yes, only as bragging points. Some people "won the Mint 400" as the only car in their class. Probably the best "boost to your career" would be Mint OA UTV.

But, I still voted KOH Ultra4 OA
I purposely left it open for each person to decide. Like a guy working his butt off for years in 5/1600 to get a big win might prefer the Mint. To really compare for me you’d need to overall the Mint in a 4 wheeled vehicle to be in the discussion but each person is different.

I have no clue about motos but I know you do! Personally the KOH moto race seems nuts and I’d much rather watch that then even dream about doing it.

After KOH Ultra4 race I started wondering how it would have impacted PAB if he’d battled to the finish and maybe got the win, thus this thread was born.

J Prich

Its not really an apples to apples comparison in my opinion. Each has it's own place in it's respective community in my opinion. One thing I dig and am envious of KOH for is that the rock crawling world has national appeal and is identifiable to every off road and 4x4 day dreaming enthusiast around the country. You cannot go to Maine, or South Carolina, or Washington State and find much of a desert racing scene, but you can certainly find rock crawlers.

The fact that desert racing is limited by it's geographical niche narrows the scope a bit. I think it's really cool to see so many people from across the country come to spectate and participate in KOH (not saying there isn't some of this in desert racing, it's just not as prominent as it is in the crawler community).

EMS702

Rescue 1
Going to stray from my roots a little. I enjoy watching Ultra4 events. I have been to a couple and follow a few teams. Not just the Campbells. SEI racing 1982 are a great group of competitors to watch. I Don't think I have a favorite between MINT and KOH. But I do think that the appeal of KOH and Ultr4 has a wider appeal. Go to a race in U4 Nationals in Reno sometime. That is also a fun event.

SMS81

IMHO, Mint has turned into a sh$t show that is more based on collecting cash from the public than putting on an event for racers. Not our cup of tea. We will not be back, Other than a cozy Vegas hotel room, KOH is hands down a better event in every way. I would love to see it give all desert racing classes a chance!

baja_racer

I have one win already, the other would be great!!

fastfelix

I am obviously biased, but I dont think its really even close from a financial perspective. Not just from a purse perspective but the amount of media and support available for top U4 guys, regardless of class.

It is humbling to even be in the conversation.
I would like to say koh but Dave hasn’t brought class 11 yet maybe I can persuade him to ride with me in July ( change his mind) lol

fastfelix

Personally I would love to race a KOH event.

The Mint is cool and iconic but I would love the logistics of racing, pitting, and camping in the same spot in Hammer Town. From a logistics standpoint the Mint is very challenging for us smaller teams.

I have never been to KOH, it looks amazing and everyone that goes absolutely loves it.

The Media coverage are great for both races. I would say Mint gets more traffic from non racers and general public for sponsors but KOH is targeted high attention for OffRoad sponsors.

Dave, you need to add a TTspec class to the event. I bet you would get a lot of trucks to show up.

Mike
Mike if you’ve never been u need to go

NIKAL

I’m changing the question. Baja 1000 or KOH

Baja 1000 peninsula run in any class is the King of all desert races, and the biggest race to win, even without any media coverage. It’s the Baja 1000!

But the second best off road event hands down is KOH. 1st best State Side, no question! And it’s not only because of the live coverage. It’s the fact it’s exciting. It’s this new frontier of off road racing that you can go see, or watch live on the internet. You don’t get hundreds of vehicles in each class racing in a week long event if your not the biggest best race in the U.S.

To be totally honest, last year I was excite to see the TT’s as part of the KOH event and it was great. But after this year, they did nothing to make KOH better. I do think bring the bikes back was cool and hope they will be back.

The Mint is just a glorified Primm 300, or the Henderson 250 that Score used to have state side. I don’t see how you can even compare it to the KOH event.

Rcamp99

KOH. Better coverage, enough said. Until the Martelli's can get on board with Dave's live coverage he had, there wont be a competition. Money is nice but neither will ever be able to hand out enough money to make a difference in this sport (Let's face it, what is Bryce really going to do with 100G?)
At what cost is this live coverage though? There is a currently an FAA investigation ongoing over a drone crashing into and almost taking a helicopter out of the sky at the event. I’m curious to see the outcome of this and how it affects the production next year.