• Forum membership has its advantages....

WRC Safari Rally

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Did anyone watch the WRC safari rally on Speedvision last night? That was the first time I actually watched one of their races and was pretty impressed. Those drivers kick ass. Although, it seemed that the drivers weren't very sportman-like with each other or too enthused about what they were doing. Maybe its just the diferent cultures, who knows. Anyway, the course had ten sections, mostly dirt roads but there was some nasty ruts and holes and some huge water crossings . The teams each have helicopters as spotters to warn of dangers ahead. There seem to be a lot of locals on foot and with their cars on the course as well as animals. The next race is next week some time and I think it was in Norway or Finalnd?, the previews showed some pretty huge rollers with the cars catching some fat air. Check it out.

MikeLeung

I saw that rally coverage on Speedvision. I thought that the coverage was awesome...the cameramen knew where to shoot and what to shoot. I think that the guys at Shoemaker ought to take some leasons from these guys. I mean the Baja 500 coverage was terriable. It looked like the Shoemaker cameraguys did not want to get off the highway to shoot the race.

One thing about those rally drivers...yes they are great drivers...but My God are they big whiners. Come on, not starting the race because you didn't have a chopper. And whats the deal about getting pissed at a driver cause you were in his dust.

rdc

The rallye guys have a lot more money behind them. I wish they would come here.

rdc

Ditto what Mike said!
As for WRC racing in general, since we off roader’s don't get much in the way of good media coverage, I would suggest that any of you who have not seen WRC rally before to check it out! It is bad ass, and if you truly like it in the dirt, you will love it. But you do have to set aside the drivers attitudes. WRC is big business to them, kinda like F1, and they take it very seriously. They are into it to win and that’s it. Their jobs are always on the line. Not like off road racers who are usually owner/racers doing it as a hobby. Check it out if you get a chance!

<font color=red>Used Car Salesman<font color=red>

Junior

I saw that WRC race as well. I was most impressed with the camera work. I agree with Mike........what a bunch of whiners! How about when the driver hit a huge rut or ditch crossing the road at speed. The impact caused a fire and a dnf. The co-driver cursed the driver on air and called him an idiot! The co-driver was airlifted away with back pain. All in all, quite entertaining.

Junior
EJR Racing #244

rdc

That was pretty cool when the co-driver was talking smack about the driver right on the air. I noticed on alot of the in-car camera shots that the driver and co-driver yell at each other and don't seem to get along very well. Speedvision had to "bleep" out alot of cursing too, which made it even more entertaining.

Jimmy8

I think BITD and SCORE should talk to TNN about some coverage. I mean TNN advertises POP and their is no more POP than off road. They have wwf, roller derby, rodeo, monster trucks, nascar, you would think off road would be right up their alley.

TimHayosh

No doubt there is significant whinning! But come on, the French are the governing body...whaddya expect! Further, the co-driver insulting the driver (who stuffed it in a ditch that he was warned about TWICE) was not "on the air". That was incar audio/video. It was the choice of the producers to have us hear that.

The Safari Rally is the one most similar to off road racing. It was great to watch. I fully agree with the comments about Shoemaker learning a lesson from the WRC coverage. Tons of in-car, great helicopter footage, and on-course cameramen in the right spots. Not cheap, but neither is racing. Do it right or don't do it!

If you want the "live"scoop on WRC events, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.worldrallychampionship.com/>Click Here</A> to get same day email with a breakdown from each of the teams and the overall picture. The next event is Finland. Home event for Tommi Makinnen. He was world champ 96, 97, 98, and 99. His dad was a world champ several times over too. Now they're racing in his backyard. Bye bye Ford!

rdc

And for those of you who are interested........

Aug 23-26 Neste Rally Finland
Sep 20-23 Propecia Rally New Zealand
Oct 04-07 Rallye San Remo - Rallye D'Italie
Oct 18-21 V-Rally Tour De Corse - Rallye De France
Nov 01-04 Telstra Rally Australia
Nov 22-25 Network Q Rally of Great Britain

These are the remaining race dates for the 2001 WRC series.

<font color=red>Used Car Salesman<font color=red>