• Forum membership has its advantages....

Wyoming Racers?

2BigC

Anyone from Wyoming? Looking to start racing hopefully 2021 season. Trying to get everything put together, hoping there someone nearby that I could learn from.

Thanks

51rcr

I cant think of many from Wyoming. Theres the YORR stuff mainly in Montana and one race in Powell. Theres some guys in Sheridan and Gillette but hey race in Southern BAJA and leave the truck there. Also Another team that used to race a TT from there and i dont think the truck ever has been to Sheridan. The I think peak powersports ran UTV for awhile and The polaris dealer in Gillette has ran some also. So most are aways away. Some in MT, Denver, Salt lake.
What you looking to race? You would be better and learn lots fast traveling and helping teams.

dsmith13

I'm up in Northern Wyoming, but just picked up my first vintage car of my own (a while til it gets racing) so I'm not much help for you yet - but am open to helping folks out up here too. Raced for a while with a great team out of CA, but got too busy with life to keep it going - but if you find the right team, it worked well to travel back and forth too.

51rcr

I'm up in Northern Wyoming, but just picked up my first vintage car of my own (a while til it gets racing) so I'm not much help for you yet - but am open to helping folks out up here too. Raced for a while with a great team out of CA, but got too busy with life to keep it going - but if you find the right team, it worked well to travel back and forth too.
what ya got? We race vintage some and another does from here. Your close to the Yellowstone off road racing stuff so you will be able to go hang out with like minded people kinda close and even race and put time on your ride to help with reliability. Iam amazed at the things that show up you wouldnt think would for quality ect and then still bust on here. Depends where your at you can pry find some open BLM area 2 track to run.

2BigC

I cant think of many from Wyoming. Theres the YORR stuff mainly in Montana and one race in Powell. Theres some guys in Sheridan and Gillette but hey race in Southern BAJA and leave the truck there. Also Another team that used to race a TT from there and i dont think the truck ever has been to Sheridan. The I think peak powersports ran UTV for awhile and The polaris dealer in Gillette has ran some also. So most are aways away. Some in MT, Denver, Salt lake.
What you looking to race? You would be better and learn lots fast traveling and helping teams.
Yeah I've looked into YORR and may try to do some events on occasion there. But I'm honestly wanting to get into the various desert races. Starting out I'm thinking about trying out jeepspeed as it seems to be along the lines as the most affordable for a fresh start, plus I have experience with Jeeps. But am open to other classes, just have had trouble narrowing down something I can afford to run that I'll have fun with. Some of the buggies seem interesting but I have no experience with them whatsoever.

Unfortunately due to work it's unlikely I would be able to travel with a team purely to support, as much as I would love that, I should have done that in my younger years.

Would be neat to meet up sometime, I have friends from Cody to Beulah along the 90 corridor and frequently find myself up in the Sheridan and buffalo area. Maybe pick your brain and if you decide to run YORR come support / maybe compete.

51rcr

Yeah I've looked into YORR and may try to do some events on occasion there. But I'm honestly wanting to get into the various desert races. Starting out I'm thinking about trying out jeepspeed as it seems to be along the lines as the most affordable for a fresh start, plus I have experience with Jeeps. But am open to other classes, just have had trouble narrowing down something I can afford to run that I'll have fun with. Some of the buggies seem interesting but I have no experience with them whatsoever.
Just put a cage in a cherokee ect and go race YoRR. the stock class and add acouple more regular shocks or whatever level build and be in the more modified classes. Stock is cheap and just add one upgrade at a time. There has been a few jeep speeds that cant hang with some more stock rigs up there. A buddy just sold a jeep speed earlier this year for a really good deal. Which in the long run finding a good deal on finised is the way to go. To many try to go full out right away and never finish them.

2BigC

Just put a cage in a cherokee ect and go race YoRR. the stock class and add acouple more regular shocks or whatever level build and be in the more modified classes. Stock is cheap and just add one upgrade at a time. There has been a few jeep speeds that cant hang with some more stock rigs up there. A buddy just sold a jeep speed earlier this year for a really good deal. Which in the long run finding a good deal on finised is the way to go. To many try to go full out right away and never finish them.
I fully agree. I've been watching for the last 2 seasons, have had quite a few conversations with several jeepspeed guys, and looked at several jeepspeed that were for sale. I've now made the decision to go forward, and am putting everything in place. I plan to race at YORR but want to do jeepspeed since they are part of BITD and I can get experience in that area and at those races. Eventually once my kids are grown and out I would like to move into a spec truck or buggy etc. Just need more experience and funds which will come in time.

I'm planning on buying a finished jeepspeed (almost bought Rob seuberts just the timing was wrong) but may use my existing YJ to compete this summer until I nail one down.

Fourstroker

The Sheridan and Gillette peeps are great people. Raced NORRA last year with Tony and Steve

jon coleman

after you race your existing one, if it is sorted out, You got a chase- parts car for a future 1700 program, if i ever get another wild hair, jeepspeed is the simplest way to go desert racing, & if u go awd, you can be cheap w- axle set ups and still be finishing No problem.race on..

2BigC

after you race your existing one, if it is sorted out, You got a chase- parts car for a future 1700 program, if i ever get another wild hair, jeepspeed is the simplest way to go desert racing, & if u go awd, you can be cheap w- axle set ups and still be finishing No problem.race on..
Right which is why it is appealing to me. Easy enough to swap from 2WD to 4WD depending on race.

jon coleman

XJ models, ^especially after cash for clunkers, heads were still ok but eng. filled up with grout to save the planet

Anger Issues

I fully agree. I've been watching for the last 2 seasons, have had quite a few conversations with several jeepspeed guys, and looked at several jeepspeed that were for sale. I've now made the decision to go forward, and am putting everything in place. I plan to race at YORR but want to do jeepspeed since they are part of BITD and I can get experience in that area and at those races. Eventually once my kids are grown and out I would like to move into a spec truck or buggy etc. Just need more experience and funds which will come in time.

I'm planning on buying a finished jeepspeed (almost bought Rob seuberts just the timing was wrong) but may use my existing YJ to compete this summer until I nail one down.
Hi guys, just reading this thread and being from Idaho... I would offer a couple o' thoughts. 1) jeepspeed is a pretty good series, and manages to negotiate cheaper entry fees in several series which is huge
2) The BOR races aren't that far from ya... an really nice people with a variety of classes. We might try to make some of the Utah events as well as the Jackpot race this year (almost southern Idaho). There were two jeepspeeds in Jackpot this year.
3) Keep in mind you cannot build a race truck for anywhere near what you can buy one for... like 50 cents on the dollar or better. While it seems tempting, when it all adds up, building is a losing deal, then your money is worth 1/2 what you just put into it. I know it spreads the cost out over time... but let the "other guy" figure it out and take the hit on the resale.
4) Lastly, if possible, get or build a rig with flexibility to be in other classes. I have seen Jeeps run in rockcrawler classes, and a 4x4 would be legal in Class 3 if short enough (108" max). Trust me... it is WAY more fun to show up and race SOMEONE rather than putt around for fun (too expensive and silly). We will gladly switch classes in our Bronco or F-150 to be where some competition is... even if outgunned (like racing a Bronco in Class 8... ouch).

Well that is my two cents. We are snowbirding it this year, I left the trucks in Idaho to come work on an investment in Cal. 65 feels pretty nice, ha ha. Hope to see ya at the races

51rcr

what part of idaho? Know much about open areas into the oregon and washington deserts also? So much unused desert in the country.

2BigC

Hi guys, just reading this thread and being from Idaho... I would offer a couple o' thoughts. 1) jeepspeed is a pretty good series, and manages to negotiate cheaper entry fees in several series which is huge
2) The BOR races aren't that far from ya... an really nice people with a variety of classes. We might try to make some of the Utah events as well as the Jackpot race this year (almost southern Idaho). There were two jeepspeeds in Jackpot this year.
3) Keep in mind you cannot build a race truck for anywhere near what you can buy one for... like 50 cents on the dollar or better. While it seems tempting, when it all adds up, building is a losing deal, then your money is worth 1/2 what you just put into it. I know it spreads the cost out over time... but let the "other guy" figure it out and take the hit on the resale.
4) Lastly, if possible, get or build a rig with flexibility to be in other classes. I have seen Jeeps run in rockcrawler classes, and a 4x4 would be legal in Class 3 if short enough (108" max). Trust me... it is WAY more fun to show up and race SOMEONE rather than putt around for fun (too expensive and silly). We will gladly switch classes in our Bronco or F-150 to be where some competition is... even if outgunned (like racing a Bronco in Class 8... ouch).

Well that is my two cents. We are snowbirding it this year, I left the trucks in Idaho to come work on an investment in Cal. 65 feels pretty nice, ha ha. Hope to see ya at the races
Would love to buy a built car. Just having trouble locating one. I'm not familiar with BOR but if I could get into it reasonably priced I definitely would.

Anger Issues

Would love to buy a built car. Just having trouble locating one. I'm not familiar with BOR but if I could get into it reasonably priced I definitely would.

Hi again,

We are in Jerome near Twin Falls. Jackpot is 45 minutes due south. Their other races are in Utah and Wendover (north-eastern border to NV).

OH: Bonneville Offroad Racing but their facebook site is more active. Bonneville Off-road racing, I may not have said that.

I don't know squat about jeeps but here is one for 15k. The parts alone are worth more than that I'd guess and it has AC, ha ha. Usually lots of 1450 trucks cheap out there... some might need some TLC but we have had a BLAST racing our long-travel 1450/2000 truck. There seems to be a couple 2000 builds going on in BOR right now. Hell, I'll send you pics of mine if you aren't opposed to some cage work... (it came with 1.5 inch tubing needing to be updated). If you are in it for FUN just get something and start racing. I wish I had also a class 11 or a 1/2 1600 seeing the massive entries in Laughlin this weekend. Best venue of the whole year and SCORE folks are idiots for walking away from this one (duh...). WELL worth the travel to race this one (and warmer than wyoming!!)

Ken

jon coleman

if its all legal,* ( race stuff)good deal, tires good for test- selling,*beedlocks,?,fuel cell? get into the nitt- picky stuff, see how long its been for sale,( motivated seller?shiping details?, . , hey, this is fun spending other people's $;)

2BigC

Hi again,

We are in Jerome near Twin Falls. Jackpot is 45 minutes due south. Their other races are in Utah and Wendover (north-eastern border to NV).

OH: Bonneville Offroad Racing but their facebook site is more active. Bonneville Off-road racing, I may not have said that.

I don't know squat about jeeps but here is one for 15k. The parts alone are worth more than that I'd guess and it has AC, ha ha. Usually lots of 1450 trucks cheap out there... some might need some TLC but we have had a BLAST racing our long-travel 1450/2000 truck. There seems to be a couple 2000 builds going on in BOR right now. Hell, I'll send you pics of mine if you aren't opposed to some cage work... (it came with 1.5 inch tubing needing to be updated). If you are in it for FUN just get something and start racing. I wish I had also a class 11 or a 1/2 1600 seeing the massive entries in Laughlin this weekend. Best venue of the whole year and SCORE folks are idiots for walking away from this one (duh...). WELL worth the travel to race this one (and warmer than wyoming!!)

Ken
I sent that guy a message. Looks like a decent ride for the money.

I'm also going to look into BOR as well. Thank you

QurtysLyn

I sent that guy a message. Looks like a decent ride for the money.

I'm also going to look into BOR as well. Thank you
Come on down, there are a few Wyoming people that race with us in BOR. It's always a good time, and we'd love to have you.