X-Games Step-Up competition... Destined to be do AND die?

57Racer

Reaction
Don't get me wrong, I love watching the step-up competition at the X-games. Especially when I get to see Carmichael dust off the cobwebs and come out on the bada$$ number 4 bike. I even got to see my all-time favorite "SuperMac" ride and always a crowd favorite anywhere, Kevin Windham.

But I am beginning to wonder, the higher they go, the obvious reverse side of that becomes apparent. They have to go down whatever they left the ramp at and went up, (say 30 feet or so) plus another 10-15 feet or so of drop below the take-off transmission.

Plus to add to the equation, they have to be either so whipped out that they land 45 degrees off of their direction of travel (which any dirtbiker knows spells P-A-N-C-A-K-E) or be so front wheel high that no rear brake tap will be enough to get it back down after they pass the bar.

Leads me to believe (using Ricky's example yesterday) that even if your are a total stud, eventually they will just be breaking themselves left and right (shoulder, wrist, ankle injury etc. etc.). As McGrath said, "Newtons a B!tch".

So I am wondering what they could do to change what looks like a really fun competition into something much safer? Anyone?

One thought I had was why don't they have a landing deck on the down side that is at about the 15 vertical foot mark.

drj777

Reaction
...One thought I had was why don't they have a landing deck on the down side that is at about the 15 vertical foot mark.
thats what i was thinking - maybe even 20+...since the entry hit is 25 ft. anyway - and why not a longer run out too?

...its still pretty amazing what a talented rider and a single cylinder machine can do.

drj
:D

LIL ROG

Reaction
i have always thought it would be a good idea to have a landing ramp that is about 10 feet or so below the pole and moves up as the pole goes up some how. kinda like a big scissor lift

57Racer

Reaction
i have always thought it would be a good idea to have a landing ramp that is about 10 feet or so below the pole and moves up as the pole goes up some how. kinda like a big scissor lift
I like that idea.
Another funny issue with it is that the take off if you look at it made it pretty much impossible to not hit the pole after about 35 feet.

It just sucks when I cringe every time on the landing part just watching. I'm thinking, "Kevin Windham, what in the hell are you doing? I need you at Supercross this year man!" lol.
James Stewart even though about it. I want another epic Reed/Stewart battle this year in SX. Last year kept me on my toes.

LIL ROG

Reaction
to me it kind of seemed like bubba was too scared to do the step up. just my $.002

Hayward Racing

Reaction
to me it kind of seemed like bubba was too scared to do the step up. just my $.002
Probably was he's fairly new to all this... Whats the point of entering an event you're not ready for?

57Racer

Reaction
You have to keep in mind that if he was in it there would be a huge chance for him to get hurt. He would be the only real competitor there for next years supercross title besides windham who is basically half retired. Then there is sponsor obligations, he couldnt race outdoors because of it.

LIL ROG

Reaction
yea but he got hurt and is out of the x games now from what i heard last night

57Racer

Reaction
yea but he got hurt and is out of the x games now from what i heard last night
damn, i have it DVR'd too. Going to watch it tonight.