• Forum membership has its advantages....

X3 Bolt In 12 gallon Transfer Tank

Fourstroker

Assuming it mounts under the seats. How much?

RedRide

Makes me not feel so bad about $3400 for 23 gallons for an xx.
I agree that they are all pricey. The most important part to me was not having to do cut up my car and add another $1500 in fab costs. Just to be clear this uses the stock tank, so we’re able to have a total of 22gal.

43mod

Looks nice and safe as well. Both norra can ams had issues w rear mounted cells.

jeff

Looks nice and safe as well. Both norra can ams had issues w rear mounted cells.
Are these kits for 2-seaters only?

Our 4-seat X3 with a 26 gallon rear mounted cell ran flawlessly at this years NORRA. Our setup uses a factory fuel pump and the factory dash gauge works too (mostly). We kept the front tank as well as a backup but never needed it. Range anxiety was completely eliminated this year which made driving the 200 mile special sections a piece of cake.

Aloha

Zambo

Are these kits for 2-seaters only?

Our 4-seat X3 with a 26 gallon rear mounted cell ran flawlessly at this years NORRA. Our setup uses a factory fuel pump and the factory dash gauge works too (mostly). We kept the front tank as well as a backup but never needed it. Range anxiety was completely eliminated this year which made driving the 200 mile special sections a piece of cake.

Aloha
Is that the one from Magnum?

jeff

Rear meaning behind the engine not rear seat.
Here's our "rear" behind the engine 26 gallon setup. I'd like info on a different setup than behind the engine as we will probably be adding another X3 or two to the stable and the stock tank doesn't cut it.

Aloha
2019-05-20 19.58.21.jpg

jeff

Is that the one from Magnum?
It's a Harmon cell and the mounts were built in house by Matt C and Jeff O. We could never get a straight answer from Magnum on the mounting kit and related parts availability and we were running out of time so we had to build our own. It came out nice and clean.

Aloha

Attachments

43mod

Not that anything i do is so awesome but that cell scares me. Damned little to keep it from being crushed. Rear tubes on our norra car mounted to link plate same way got crushed into links binding all up. Maybe i am just paranoid

jeff

Not that anything i do is so awesome but that cell scares me. Damned little to keep it from being crushed. Rear tubes on our norra car mounted to link plate same way got crushed into links binding all up. Maybe i am just paranoid
That's what the bladder is for. Could the rear tubes crush the fuel cell? Absolutely and that's why the bladder is so important. The NASCAR elite routinely hit a wall traveling backwards at over 150mph and in most cases the bladder does its job and contains the fuel... even when the entire rear of the car is completely crushed.

Do you feel safe knowing there is a 10+ gallon stock plastic fuel tank sitting directly in front of you? A hard passenger side impact (or parts failure) could conceivably split that entire tank causing it to dump it's contents in only a few seconds. That's extremely unlikely with a high quality bladder and can. A case of pick your poison I guess but for us we determined having the fuel located as far away from the occupants was better than other (at the time) available options. And we did consider the potential problem of having the fuel tank located closer to a heat source but it still seemed safer than the stock tank setup or running roto molded cans inside the cabin or strapped to the outside of the car.

I really like the under seat option. It keeps the weight low and a decent skid plate beneath it should do a good job of protecting the cell and bladder from intrusion. If the OP has any more pics of one installed I'd like to see them.

Aloha