XR 400 v. YZ 426

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
I'm getting a new bike and I have narrowed it down to either a XR 400 or a YZ 426. I have never ridden a 426 however I have ridden a 400 handful of times. I ride a lot in Baja and I'm not to much of a dune rider. I am about 5'10, 155 lbs. What recommendations do all you experts have? I am leaning towards a 400 just because parts for it are more readily available in Baja, I think, and it seems to be the bike to have for down there. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing all your opinions!

tkr

If you're getting a "new" bike, go with the XR450! Hands down better than the XR400 and YZ426.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
CRF450

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

tkr

oh ya, that's what I meant....just can't get used to calling a 4-stroke a "CR"..

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

mxjeremy

I dunno which you should get, because I'm a 2-stroke man myself. Motocross bikes are great for the track and the jumps, but out in baja, the XR600 or XR650 would be my weapon of choice. If you take a CR250 and XR600 out to the dez, and put equally good riders on both, the XR will pull away from the CR all day long, even in the whoops. I enjoy my CR250 out in the dez, but honestly, I'm about 30% faster on the XR600. Granted it's a bigger bike, but even when I had a Husky 360 WXE (2-stroke), which would beat the XR on the dry lake, the XR was still faster in the whoops, hills, and washes of the dez. Ideally, I would have a CR250 for the track (I've rode the Husky 360 at the track, and it's too much), and an XR650 for the dez. Oh yeah, and a big 2-stroke (CR500 maybe?) for the dunes.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

I rode a CRF 450 this weekend and all I can say is WOW power all the way through the power band only down side its high compression so its gets a red sticker.

JOSH

I have a YZ426 and i love it, both in the desert and in the dunes, and the two times i have race cr450's up olds i have beat um'

PBR

here is my opinion for what it's worth... i just bought a new bike and i did a ton of research and decided on the ktm520exc, it is the best bike i have ever ridden for off road riding. i am not a track guy, i ride desert and trails and i have ridden almost all the models available now and you aren't going with either bikes i would even consider. the xr400 is an out-dated air-cooled dinosaur, it makes mild power but is very reliable and very little maintenance. the yz426 is not an off road bike, it is a huge pain in the ass to start and the power isn't ideal for off road. the honda cr450 has so much power it wants to rip the bars out of your hands the whole time. and none of the bikes i mentioned even have an electric start. why kick when you have the choice!!! if you want a really good off road bike the drz400 is the hot ticket. they are cheap, better power than the xr400 and the magic button. i had a drz for 2 years without one problem, the only thing the bike needs is a pipe and the suspension done and that is it!!! you can pick on up for around 5k out the door. if you want to be the big dog on the block the ktm 400/520's are sick but they take more maintenance.

i can get you a smoking deal on the honda or suzuki if you don't have any hook ups. call sam at la honda (310)677-5800 and tell him you are a friend of mine (ollie penchansky). good luck with your decision, it was a hard one for me but i am happy with what i have and never regretted the drz. it was just time for something new.

Penchansky Brothers Racing

AP255

Travis your decision really depends on where you will be riding and your riding ability. For Baja play riding you want a bike that doesn't kick your ass all day and will get you home. It is pretty hard to not go with a Honda XR in Baja. They are very easy to ride and start. The 400 and the 650 with little mods are very fast bikes. There are a ton of people riding them down there so chances are if you needed a part you might find it from someone. The 450F and the 426 are fun fast bikes but save them for the dunes. They are not the best bikes for south of the boarder. If you are a beginner go with the XR400 ride it for a year and then upgrade. I have race all of these bikes and can say that they are all good. KTM's are also very good bikes but they cost a ton and the dealers never have the part you need instock. I think it has something to do with the growth of the company over the past four years.

jim_moulton

The XR 400 "dinasor" is a great bike. Hard to beat for reliability. I've had one since 98. I'm also 5'10' 155 and with only changing shock oil and minor adjustments mine handles great. I have ridden a 426 and love the power but the power band sucks on hills and tight trails . The only complaint I have about the XR is the damn thing sure is heavy picking it off me on the side of a mountain. I try not to let that happen to much.

pjc

Chairman
I have lived with a superb handling, fast Husaberg for about 6 years. I'll never buy anything but a Japanese bike going forward. Yes, the Husaberg maintenance and reliability issues are very real.

I will add that the "electric leg" is a nice thing to have yet, I think Honda has the starting drill down on the CRF450 to super reliability and simplicity.

Another alternative to the KX500 is a CR500 with a steering stabilizer. The CR is just as much of a dez bike as the KX is, it's just that Honda's influence was on selling XR's for that type of riding. The CR is also a bit more simple, sans Power Valve contraptions than the KX.

Cheers

PJCinLV

Tim

I am biased because I worked at a yamaha and kawasaki shop for years, but I would go with the yz426. If you meant to put crf450 or whatever it is called it would be between those two. If you want it street legal go for the wr426. Its a kick-ass bike. xr's are proven and great, but I always feel like they are too damn heavy, it makes me feel like they are hard to manuver. The yz426 is lighter and feels more like a 2-stroke as far as manuvering. The kx 500 is great, but you might as well get one from 5 years ago since they haven't changed in so long. plus its not street legal.
good luck, and whatever you get test ride it as much as possible. tim (just me 2 centavos)

pjc

Chairman
Tim,

I have heard a lot about the CA DMV cracking down hard on licensed dirtbikes. The most common deal is where they are recsending registrations for past bikes and denying all new. They did this to Fidel..

PJCinLV

Curtis Guise

Administrator
I have owned a XR400 for about 3 years. Its a great bike. I don't get out on it to much, but for the years I have owned it I have only had to change the oil, tires, chain and sprokets... I bought it street legal and haven't had a problem. I also have another friend that just got one and recently made it street legal without a problem. I have heard of some people having troubles though, kind of like Fidel.

Curtis

Tim

good point. I dont worry about the dmv laws too much since I am in Arizona now, but your right I have heard talk by some of the guys at the shop that no wr or yz 426s will be able to be street legal and some are even having it taken away! I dont know what is fact though, because I still see wr 426s being registered and riding around... I know most have to have some.... shall we say shady, hook up to get their bikes registered. tim

Waldo

Safehouse
Syko - Based on your original question of whether to buy an XR 400 or YZ426F, I would recommend the Yamaha. You can purchase a hot start button for a few bucks and the Yamy starts right up. The power is good and the suspension can be tweaked for a little dough too. They are reliable if you don't jimmy up the motor (unless you know what you are doing).

I currently own an ATK 604 with and electric start. I recently had to change the sprag clutch because it was hanging up after I would start it electrically. It wasn't a cheap fix by all means. I have spent hours and some dime working on it. But anyway, here goes-

My two cents on all the bikes I have ridden pertaining to this topic:

XR650 - Excllent desert bike for open, whooped, and hilly stuff...not good for tight technical trails.

CRF450F - Excellent motocrosser! THIS IS NOT A DESERT BIKE. It was specifically desinged for Moto X. Many people have purchased this one for desert use but are unhappy. This thing barks but for over 6000 duckets, buy something else and add some useful components for the dez.

YZF426 - Good motocrosser AND good desert bike. This too was designed for motocross but it has become very efficient in the desert racing community. The aftermarket parts available for it are great! They also make a wide ration transmission version you might look into (YZF426WR).

CR500 - My bike for 10 years. Great in the desert with a stablizer and suspension mods. However, you need premix and they are not as reliable as a 4-banger.

KX500 - Same as the CR500

XR400 - Good desert bike and very reliable. White Brothers has a huge amount of available mods for the engine, suspension, and anything else you can think of for this bike.

I haven't ridden any Katooms or Huskies but hear they are nice! My ATK is reliable and fast but man, the footpegs are too damn small and it shakes it head like a wet dog at high speeds! Bottom line, if you want power and speed and performance, buy a 426 with a little mods. If you want reliablity and aren't going to use all the power but want to have fun, buy the 400!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Thanks for the input guys. Does anybody know the weight difference of the the 400 and 426 because the one thing I didn't like about the 400 was it felt heavy. Other than that it seems to be the bike better suited for me. Sorry all you Yamaha guys! Thanks again!