xr50 trottle problems

khoolguy

Reaction
I got an xr 50 and when i give it some throttle and let go it still idles pretty high. it has nothing to do with the throttle handle, it doesn't get stuck there. I'm thinking its somewhere by the carb.Sometimes it idles high by itslef and sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone know whats wrong and how can I fix it???? Thanks Greg

Greg J.

BigB99

Reaction
check to make sure the cable is routed correctly and that its not getting snagged also there should be an idle adjustment screw. hope this helps. sometimes turning the wheel left or right will pull on the cable cause the bike to rev.

khoolguy

Reaction
the cable has plenty of slack,I adjusted the idle higher and lower and still had the same problem.

Greg J.

motoxscott

Reaction
Pull the carb off and make sure the slide is operating correctly. Also make sure all the clamps and manifold bolts are tight. An air leak will cause a high idle. Spray carb cleaner around the carb and manifold while it's running and see if the idle changes. That will tell you if you're drawing in outside air.

I'd pull the carb, open it up and make sure everything is A-O-K.

curt

Reaction
With the motor off twist the throttle and let go, does it snap back into place or just lazily return to idle position? You will probably hear a metal thud when the slide slams back down. If it's sticky check the cable to see if it moves freely, not being bound by the routing or just plain gummed up. Other than that you'll need to tear it down and give it a bath. If you've never done it before, just pay attention to where the pieces go there are only about a half dozen or so so it's not really that complicated.....Curt

VORRA Class 7

khoolguy

Reaction
I took the carb apart and sprayed carb cleaner all in it. I put it back together and it got twice as worse. So I'm gonna take it to some guy who lives up the street from me who works on bikes and see what he can do. If not anyone going to Parker who might help me out there? Thanks Greg

Greg J.