XR650L Pic's

AZCPP

Reaction
Getting ready for a couple weeks in Colorado. Bought this bike for this trip and have it pretty much ready except for taller bars that I will pick-up Sat.

'08 XR650L (new)
Dunlop 606's
Bridgestone 4mm tubes
IMS 4gal. tank w/Sunn vent
XR's Only foot pegs
XR's Only smog block-off
Ricochet bash plate
Moose hand guards
WPS taillight
UNI air filter
RAM GPS mount
hard wired for GPS

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
Nice ride! :)

worcs761

Reaction
Where in Colorado are you riding?
Drop the forks down in the clamps 3/16 to 1/4 inch.

AZCPP

Reaction
Where in Colorado are you riding?
Drop the forks down in the clamps 3/16 to 1/4 inch.
We are staying in Ouray. We plan to ride over to Moab for a day or two but, mostly in the Telluride area. What will I get from dropping the forks?

worcs761

Reaction
It will handle better. 3/16 inch no more.
Turn the idle down also. Thumpers like that will carry speed into turns even when you have the throttle chopped.
Fun area to ride and only second to Baja!
If you stay in Moab one night there is a house So. end of town with a big sign advertising hostel accommodations. Skip the hostel, inquire about the house where the sign is. Lower floor is best and secured area for the bikes. We take up the place with 10-12 moto-heads and have a great time there.

AZCPP

Reaction
It will handle better. 3/16 inch no more.
Turn the idle down also. Thumpers like that will carry speed into turns even when you have the throttle chopped.
Fun area to ride and only second to Baja!
If you stay in Moab one night there is a house So. end of town with a big sign advertising hostel accommodations. Skip the hostel, inquire about the house where the sign is. Lower floor is best and secured area for the bikes. We take up the place with 10-12 moto-heads and have a great time there.
I'll give it a try. I already run the idle very low but thanks. And as far as Moab, we spend a lot of time up there, just there over the 4th. It's only 5 hours from home!

Thanks Again,

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
When I was in CO last week, I had to turn the idle up on My bike. Coming from sea level it didn't want to idle in the thin air at 11,000 plus feet.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Oh yeah, take it easy on the pavement with a new 606. Cruising at 85MPH will chunk knobbies of even at 36PSI.

AZCPP

Reaction
Oh yeah, take it easy on the pavement with a new 606. Cruising at 85MPH will chunk knobbies of even at 36PSI.
WOW 36 lbs! I run them at 23 lbs on the pavement(up to 80mph but mostly around 65) and have never had any chunking problems.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I normally run 20...... It's the speed on tall knobs that kills them. Once they get worn down a little you can pick up the pace. I lost 3 knobs in the first 4 hours of life on the tire.

This was My week......

The Perelli after 2 days. 25PSI the first day and 32 the second.

The 606 that replaced it after 4 hours on the highway
at 36PSI

And when I got home 2000 miles later

The last few miles were really bumpy........

AZCPP

Reaction
What little of the tire you can see in the 2nd pic on the first page, it has 1000 miles on it there.

worcs761

Reaction
Crazy air pressures. 15 max hot. Ask your suspension guy about how things work when you run such crazy high air pressure in you tires. Thick/HD MSR tubes 13 pounds cold. I am 225 pounds and rarely get flats or ding the rims. It's a dirt bike. Ride it hard and in the dirt.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
What little of the tire you can see in the 2nd pic on the first page, it has 1000 miles on it there.
looks like a dunlop 606

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Hey AZCCP: Here are a few suggestions for challenging rides in SW CO: 1. From Ouray, go south, uphill about 5 miles to left turn at Engineer Pass Rd. -- endless 4x4 roads -- take a right at Poughkeepsie Gulch for a real challenge -- riding up a running creek. 2. Head over Lizard Head from Telluride and hit Dunton Rd. - at top, find parking lot and Calico Trail advanced single track to the south. 3. Also, the Tabeguache heads over the Uncompahgre Plateau towards Gateway, then you can go descend into Gateway and up John Brown Canyon over to La Sal Mtn. Loop - to Sand Flats Rd., and into Moab. Great dual sport riding. Have fun and be safe. Doug in Grand Junction

AZCPP

Reaction
Hey AZCCP: Here are a few suggestions for challenging rides in SW CO: 1. From Ouray, go south, uphill about 5 miles to left turn at Engineer Pass Rd. -- endless 4x4 roads -- take a right at Poughkeepsie Gulch for a real challenge -- riding up a running creek. 2. Head over Lizard Head from Telluride and hit Dunton Rd. - at top, find parking lot and Calico Trail advanced single track to the south. 3. Also, the Tabeguache heads over the Uncompahgre Plateau towards Gateway, then you can go descend into Gateway and up John Brown Canyon over to La Sal Mtn. Loop - to Sand Flats Rd., and into Moab. Great dual sport riding. Have fun and be safe. Doug in Grand Junction
Thanks Doug, Some of the same trails Chad Ragland told me to run. I'm getting real anxious to get up there!!!